Derby v Brighton Match Thread

Day

22 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Does anyone else struggle to watch games from that season? The fact that we didn’t go up is just too painful.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely cannot watch it. 

Oh I can.  In fact, I still get goosebumps when watching the first leg, when CM's thunderbastard hits the bar and the keepers ar5e!  The 0.8 seconds of silence is deafening, as realty dawns on the home crowd!  ?

Having said that, I watched this second leg in a Spanish bar, and the final from my sofa, having landed back at EMA at 14:55 on the day, so at least I didn't have to suffer that agonising final in person, like many of you lot did.

You have my sympathies.  So glad I wasn't at Wembley that day!  ?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Oh I can.  In fact, I still get goosebumps when watching the first leg, when CM's thunderbastard hits the bar and the keepers ar5e!  The 0.8 seconds of silence is deafening, as realty dawns on the home crowd!  ?

Having said that, I watched this second leg in a Spanish bar, and the final from my sofa, having landed back at EMA at 14:55 on the day, so at least I didn't have to suffer that agonising final in person, like many of you lot did.

You have my sympathies.  So glad I wasn't at Wembley that day!  ?

When we went down to Brighton we were on the Roadrider. Tremendous traffic jams around Heathrow and we got off the bus, ran up the steps just as the players were in the huddle. Phew! 

Didn't play well, won - it was brilliant!

The return leg at Pride Park was so much better, it was tremendous and that should have been Wembley too.

That day was gutting, as even up until that Zamora moment, it was just a matter of time before we won it. 

Like others, I think if we had won that day we wouldn't have looked back and would still be up there in the Prem with Hughes our England international midfield general and who knows who from the Academy pushing through. 

We learned the hard way that good honest football didn't necessarily get you where you want to be. Yet the subsequent years of overspending, changing styles and trying to wiggle our way around Profit and Sustainability restrictions got us nowhere. 

Ironically, I think that this season the penny has dropped and we were starting to rebuild a talented footballing side based on youth again under Cocu. I sincerely hope that this enforced break doesn't scupper that momentum, because it's the first time I've felt truly optimistic about Derby County's future since that season.

20 minutes ago, angieram said:

When we went down to Brighton we were on the Roadrider. Tremendous traffic jams around Heathrow and we got off the bus, ran up the steps just as the players were in the huddle. Phew! 

Didn't play well, won - it was brilliant!

The return leg at Pride Park was so much better, it was tremendous and that should have been Wembley too.

That day was gutting, as even up until that Zamora moment, it was just a matter of time before we won it. 

Like others, I think if we had won that day we wouldn't have looked back and would still be up there in the Prem with Hughes our England international midfield general and who knows who from the Academy pushing through. 

We learned the hard way that good honest football didn't necessarily get you where you want to be. Yet the subsequent years of overspending, changing styles and trying to wiggle our way around Profit and Sustainability restrictions got us nowhere. 

Ironically, I think that this season the penny has dropped and we were starting to rebuild a talented footballing side based on youth again under Cocu. I sincerely hope that this enforced break doesn't scupper that momentum, because it's the first time I've felt truly optimistic about Derby County's future since that season.

Superb analysis... it’s hard for me to watch the Brighton home leg . . . Because we were so excellent. Loved the away leg...Edward described it as “the best day of my life” when we got back at 6am the next morning. But we learned yet again that football can be agony as well as ecstasy in the space of a few days.

Feel like the club has never fully recovered from the play off final loss than cane after this performance.

Got that loving feeling back about the club for the first time since this season. I think this manager and set of young players may deliver us to the promised land and keep us there.

Never had a lower feeling in footballer than losing that playoff final. We were so so good. Our football was so incredibly fluid and easy on the eye, Hughes and Thorne were bossing midfields, Chrissy Martin in his prime up top. We've never come close to that level since, that being said Cocu's team is the one that is getting closest to the fluidity.

6 hours ago, Andicis said:

Never had a lower feeling in footballer than losing that playoff final. We were so so good. Our football was so incredibly fluid and easy on the eye, Hughes and Thorne were bossing midfields, Chrissy Martin in his prime up top. We've never come close to that level since, that being said Cocu's team is the one that is getting closest to the fluidity.

We were that good the following season till Martin and Eustace got injured in the same week. 

Brighton at home was great. Hughesy was superb.

but Wembley.....I knew what was coming. I just knew as we went into the last ten minutes that qpr were going to do to us, what we did to West Brom. Disappointing but no more than that. 

16 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Brighton at home was great. Hughesy was superb.

but Wembley.....I knew what was coming. I just knew as we went into the last ten minutes that qpr were going to do to us, what we did to West Brom. Disappointing but no more than that. 

Same here.  I all but laughed as that goal went in, in a raised eyebrow "Typical effing Derby" kinda way.  I think that was the moment when I actually realised "Hey, I think I really have seen it all before"!  Muckerette was more stunned than me!
I'm just glad I was at home watching on telly (having literally just got home from the airport in time).  I was over it before most of you lot had got back on the train, or the M1. 
I almost felt guilty for "not being as upset as I should have been", but it really did feel "typical"! 
I did however, sit back, smile, and marvel at what an absolutely fantastic season it had been.  The best for years and years, and I wanted the next season to start there and then.  An absolute delight, and it was a privilege to be a Ram again.

COYR

Archived