App Recommendations

Wolfie

Not sure if this has ever been a thread before but I thought it would be good to share decent / useful Apps.....

Want to learn a totally new language or just brush up on one?.

A friend introduced me to "Duolingo" at the weekend & I'm finding it really good to refresh my German. Even my 7 year old has now started from scratch with it because she wants to be able to speak to me in German.

Free & hundreds of languages to choose from. Ads are not intrusive either.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would also recommend an app called 'Twilight'. You can use it to change the colour temperature of your phone screen and dim the brightness during certain hours. Helps for anyone that tends to browse just before trying to get to sleep and gives you more options to customise the colour/brightness than the functionality some phones have in-built.

3 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

Not sure if this has ever been a thread before but I thought it would be good to share decent / useful Apps.....

Want to learn a totally new language or just brush up on one?.

A friend introduced me to "Duolingo" at the weekend & I'm finding it really good to refresh my German. Even my 7 year old has now started from scratch with it because she wants to be able to speak to me in German.

Free & hundreds of languages to choose from. Ads are not intrusive either.

I like Duolingo too.

It's from the same people as the recaptcha security boxes, and works on the same principle.

You get something useful and free, they get millions of people translating documents into different languages automatically.

It's a great idea for a thread.

If you go north then Aurora is the best northern lights alert app. 

If you play chess Droidfish is way better than any human. I turn it down to 50% and have only beaten it in 2 out of 50 games. 

If you're into space travel, Next Spaceflight is great for info about forthcoming (and past) launches. 

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

If you go north then Aurora is the best northern lights alert app. 

If you play chess Droidfish is way better than any human. I turn it down to 50% and have only beaten it in 2 out of 50 games. 

If you're into space travel, Next Spaceflight is great for info about forthcoming (and past) launches. 

I'm guessing you could recommend an astronomy App?.

I've recently gone to Android but I used to have Star Rover on iPhone that I liked, which showed you all the stars etc that you can see at that moment - though I'm guessing they probably all do that.

3 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

I'm guessing you could recommend an astronomy App?.

I've recently gone to Android but I used to have Star Rover on iPhone that I liked, which showed you all the stars etc that you can see at that moment - though I'm guessing they probably all do that.

I still use the app called Sky Map which was originally developed as Google Sky Map a decade ago and then spun off and done as an open source thing. http://sky-map-team.github.io/stardroid/

There are hundreds which all do pretty much the same thing. Because this is open source and I know its origins and the developers I know it's not doing anything dodgy in the background. With the bonus it's free without any ads.

Archived