Coronavirus

1of4

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Agreed, immunocompromised patients will ultimately be the ones who suffer here unfortunately, seems to be a decision that will inevitably screw them. With the current uptake of the vaccine, the hospital admissions and deaths are soon to fall surely though, and at some point you have to accept an inevitable degree of risk here. You can't get 100% uptake. 

You would hope with all the country has been through that people will do the right thing and get the vaccine though. It would take quite the hypocrite to complain about all the restrictions then not get the vaccine. 

6 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I really don't know. That's why I was asking.

Yes, it is a 'proper' vaccine. Studies so far suggest it's actually a very effective one at that. 

I believe I had the virus early last year, as in January. I have been at work all through the so called lockdowns, I have been in close contact with many people who have tested positive yet not had another bout.

Very unlikely that you had it as early as January. If even there were a small number of cases that went undetected at the time in the UK, the probability of you being one of them is extremely slim. 

I was told by a surgeon last March to have a glass of water after having contact with people. He said even if the virus was present, flushing into your gut would render it harmless. I have followed that advice for the last year, ate sensibly with plenty of Vitamin C in my diet, done some deep breathing exercises every day. 

Sounds like you need a better surgeon. There is no reason that glass of water would 'flush' anything, as it's not how the virus is transmitted. 

Why would I need a vaccine that has not had any long term adverse symptom testing?

Vaccines are by and large the safest medicines on the planet, with rates of side effects in the 1 in millions range. 

By their nature, long term side effects from vaccines are very unlikely in general. 

As to why you would need one, to help protect society as a whole. The less people vulnerable to the virus, the less chance it has to spread, and hence vaccinating people can reduce to complete stop the spread, allowing normal life to resume. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Albert said:

You would hope with all the country has been through that people will do the right thing and get the vaccine though. It would take quite the hypocrite to complain about all the restrictions then not get the vaccine. 

Absolutely. And to be fair, the UK is looking at 90% uptake so far. The vast majority are taking it. 

18 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Absolutely. And to be fair, the UK is looking at 90% uptake so far. The vast majority are taking it. 

Which is good, and I hope it continues, but really, it should be 100% of people who can take it that should. 

5 hours ago, Albert said:

Very unlikely that you had it as early as January. If even there were a small number of cases that went undetected at the time in the UK, the probability of you being one of them is extremely slim. 

Its comments like this that do you no favours. 

Who are on earth do you think you are to be telling someone who says they believe they had the virus, that you think it is very unlikely?!?!

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I really don't know. That's why I was asking.

I believe I had the virus early last year, as in January. I have been at work all through the so called lockdowns, I have been in close contact with many people who have tested positive yet not had another bout.

I was told by a surgeon last March to have a glass of water after having contact with people. He said even if the virus was present, flushing into your gut would render it harmless. I have followed that advice for the last year, ate sensibly with plenty of Vitamin C in my diet, done some deep breathing exercises every day. 

Why would I need a vaccine that has not had any long term adverse symptom testing?

Sorry but the simple facts are you have to have the vaccine at some point so might as well just get it done 

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Its comments like this that do you no favours. 

Who are on earth do you think you are to be telling someone who says they believe they had the virus, that you think it is very unlikely?!?!

Because it is extremely unlikely, as in, a vanishingly small chance that it is actually the case. 

You're talking about this as though I'm insulting someone's religious beliefs, as opposed to pointing out that a possibility they've pointed out is extraordinarily unlikely. 

Just now, Albert said:

Because it is extremely unlikely, as in, a vanishingly small chance that it is actually the case. 

You're talking about this as though I'm insulting someone's religious beliefs, as opposed to pointing out that a possibility they've pointed out is extraordinarily unlikely. 

Why, how many cases did we have over here in January?

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why, how many cases did we have over here in January?

2 confirmed, both of which were found and reported on 31 January 2020. 

There is the possibility of some cases missing detection around this time or earlier, but the likelihood of any person who has those symptoms happening to have Covid at that time is vanishingly small. 

4 minutes ago, Albert said:

2 confirmed, both of which were found and reported on 31 January 2020. 

There is the possibility of some cases missing detection around this time or earlier, but the likelihood of any person who has those symptoms happening to have Covid at that time is vanishingly small. 

Given that the first death was 31st January I think it is pretty safe to assume that the first case came much earlier.

There are plenty of people over here who are certain that it was around in December, maybe even earlier.

5 hours ago, Albert said:

Which is good, and I hope it continues, but really, it should be 100% of people who can take it that should. 

It wont be though. I am a member on a forum that deals with a specific type of blood cancer, and despite numbers suggesting a mortality rate of 34% for those with the condition who catch covid, there a number of members that are against taking it even though they could have had it by now.

The take up so far has been excellent, but i suspect that will drop as we go down the groups.

Im sure it was said overall a take up of 70% was needed to achieve the 'immunity' required.

In other countries, take France as an example take up is expected to be low. It was suggested it might only be 40% take up there.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Given that the first death was 31st January I think it is pretty safe to assume that the first case came much earlier.

This is flat out not true, the first death in the UK was 5 March 2020. The UK had 114 confirmed cases by that time. 

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

There are plenty of people over here who are certain that it was around in December, maybe even earlier.

There are plenty of people certain that Lizard people run the World. It's possible that there were some scattered cases around Europe prior to it being found, but the idea that it was so widespread that someone with symptoms had a realistic chance of that being caused by Covid-19 is fanciful at best. 

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think they showed in France someone had died in December too.

I agree i think its likely it was in circulation to some degree december, january time. No doubt there will have been deaths, as the one in the UK was, put down to other factors.

I, and most of the members of my family, were Ill that christmas with very Covid like symptoms.

Although what i would say is that i seem to get a bug most years (apart from this past year) that would be mile/moderate 'Covid' like symptoms. So i do tend to think its most likely it was one of the other bugs that circulate.

6 minutes ago, Albert said:

This is flat out not true, the first death in the UK was 5 March 2020. The UK had 114 confirmed cases by that time. 

There are plenty of people certain that Lizard people run the World. It's possible that there were some scattered cases around Europe prior to it being found, but the idea that it was so widespread that someone with symptoms had a realistic chance of that being caused by Covid-19 is fanciful at best. 

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-daughter-of-first-uk-victim-questions-when-coronavirus-arrived-in-the-country-12203040

3 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

It wont be though. I am a member on a forum that deals with a specific type of blood cancer, and despite numbers suggesting a mortality rate of 34% for those with the condition who catch covid, there a number of members that are against taking it even though they could have had it by now.

The take up so far has been excellent, but i suspect that will drop as we go down the groups.

Im sure it was said overall a take up of 70% was needed to achieve the 'immunity' required.

In other countries, take France as an example take up is expected to be low. It was suggested it might only be 40% take up there.

I believe a lot of people are looking at the noises coming out from the scientists regards restrictions needing to stay in place for such a long time even with vaccines rolled out and thinking what’s the point , especially if they are the type of person that has they’re own personal fears around vaccines or just this one ,you can debate and berate those people till the cows come home but if they have those fears they are very real TO THEM, try telling someone suffering from OCD that what they feel is stupid and they just need to get on with stuff??‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I think they showed in France someone had died in December too.

Source? I know of the case from 27 December 2019 in France, but they recovered. I was not aware of a death in France during that period. 

I agree i think its likely it was in circulation to some degree december, january time. No doubt there will have been deaths, as the one in the UK was, put down to other factors.

Source of a death in the UK prior to March? 

I, and most of the members of my family, were Ill that christmas with very Covid like symptoms.

Although what i would say is that i seem to get a bug most years (apart from this past year) that would be mile/moderate 'Covid' like symptoms. So i do tend to think its most likely it was one of the other bugs that circulate.

Everyone gets a bad bug at some point. The likelihood of it being Covid prior to the first wave is vanishingly small though, as in, winning a minor lottery small. 

1 minute ago, Archied said:

I believe a lot of people are looking at the noises coming out from the scientists regards restrictions needing to stay in place for such a long time even with vaccines rolled out and thinking what’s the point , especially if they are the type of person that has they’re own personal fears around vaccines or just this one ,you can debate and berate those people till the cows come home but if they have those fears they are very real TO THEM, try telling someone suffering from OCD that what they feel is stupid and they just need to get on with stuff??‍♂️

Yes I agree. Which is really the point i was making. It womnt be 100%, but the take up so far, in my opinion has been fantastic.

I dont agree with others trying to influence others into not taking it (not saying thats here but it certainly has been on the other forum) though.

3 minutes ago, Albert said:

Source? I know of the case from 27 December 2019 in France, but they recovered. I was not aware of a death in France during that period. 

Maybe they did recover then, it doesnt alter the fact it was in circulation.

Source of a death in the UK prior to March? 

Already posted.

Everyone gets a bad bug at some point. The likelihood of it being Covid prior to the first wave is vanishingly small though, as in, winning a minor lottery small. 

Is what i said.

1 minute ago, Sith Happens said:

Maybe they did recover then, it doesnt alter the fact it was in circulation.

It might have been, but the likelihood of someone with 'Covid-like' symptoms having the virus at that time were, again, vanishingly small. 

Already posted.

Discussed above, recent news. Would be interested in follow up tests to confirm it's not a false positive. 

Is what i said.

Hence reiteration of the point. 

21 minutes ago, Albert said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/first-uk-coronavirus-death-end-january-a4547606.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-deaths-hospital-care-homes-ons-b446274.html

I await your apology but wont be holding my breath.

Archived