The Politics Thread 2020

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I think your view of what is left-wing, moderate and right-wing is consistently skewed.  But then maybe that's my own bias coming into play.

54 minutes ago, Highgate said:

You obviously pay far more attention to how social media is policed than I do (0 attention), but given my first comment I have no choice but to doubt your conclusions. 

If my view of what is left-wing, moderate and right-wing is skewed then my opinion of media bias, both social and legacy would be equally skewed.

To back up my argument Jack Dorsey (Twitter CEO) himself has said that Twitter has a left leaning bias and that conservative staff feel silenced;

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/402495-twitter-ceo-jack-dorsey-i-fully-admit-our-bias-is-more-left-leaning

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/09/14/twitter-staff-feel-silenced-left-wing-workforce/

And numerous studies have shown twitter, youtube, google to have a left wing bias 

https://knightfoundation.org/articles/polarization-in-the-twittersphere-what-86-million-tweets-reveal-about-the-political-makeup-of-american-twitter-users-and-how-they-engage-with-news/

https://www.allsides.com/blog/audit-google-heavily-favors-cnn-and-left-media-mass-shooting-coverage

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/09/twitter-left-leftwing-customers-small-business

Just now, maxjam said:

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. 

Now, if you have the time, go and search for examples of right bias on social media or the media in general.  You'll have no problem finding numerous sources that support that point of view too. 

16 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Have a little book burning search on Google. More than just the Nazi's ??

Not only. But if you do a google search, you'll find 6 of the first 8 links after the wiki on it refer to Nazi book burning in their linked text. So, like I said, historically more those guys on the right. Of the other 2, one is a pastor in the good ol' USA burning the Quran  ??

Screenshot_20200423-133735_Google.jpg

15 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Not only. But if you do a google search, you'll find 6 of the first 8 links after the wiki on it refer to Nazi book burning in their linked text. So, like I said, historically more those guys on the right. Of the other 2, one is a pastor in the good ol' USA burning the Quran  ??

Screenshot_20200423-133735_Google.jpg

???

You catagorically do not know how to research, or analyse data. 

Edit: it's no laughing matter Gboro. If you don't understand why top page results for search terms in a Google search is poor research, then no one can help you ?

9 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

"Have a little book burning search on google".

Searches "book burning" on google.

"No, I meant the way that makes me look right"

Google is your tool. You've effectively walked in to a library, seen a poster at the reception and walked out ??

Just now, Uptherams said:

Google is your tool. You've effectively walked in to a library, seen a poster at the reception and walked out ??

I think your assertion that book burning is associated with those on the left doesn't hold up under any sort of scrutiny.  No matter how one manipulates Google searches.   Book burning will always be principally associated with the Nazis...until someone even more egregious comes along I guess.

6 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I think your assertion that book burning is associated with those on the left doesn't hold up under any sort of scrutiny.  No matter how one manipulates Google searches.   Book burning will always be principally associated with the Nazis...until someone even more egregious comes along I guess.

Depends how you manipulate history.

38 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. 

Now, if you have the time, go and search for examples of right bias on social media or the media in general.  You'll have no problem finding numerous sources that support that point of view too. 

So Jack Dorsey (Twitter CEO) stating Twitter has a left wing bias, conservative Twitter staff saying they have been silenced, The Knight Foundation (slight left leaning bias, high factual reporting) doing a study showing a left bias and the Guardian stating a left leaning bias in an article isn't enough of an argument?

If you want me to show you right wing articles I can do that I'm not saying they don't exist, you are just far more likely to be directed to a left wing article as numerous articles and studies of high value have now shown.  For example, if you do a random search in google you will overwhelmingly be offered a choice of left leaning links (see of study in attached image).  Furthermore you are far more likely to be banned from social media if you have right leaning opinions.  

The best I can do to find evidence of right wing bias on social media are by and large opinion articles from left wing outlets.

GoogleBiasAug2019-Final-2.jpg

8 minutes ago, Highgate said:

That wasn't my assertion. Plenty of historical examples of political parties, religions, countries and leaders burning books or genocide, throughout human civilization. 

Also as you allude to, page result's and rankings are personalised. 

I'm surprised you guys can even muster up the courage to say or type the word right. ??

Honestly @maxjam, are you saying you find it strange that right-wing medias weren't showing up in Google searches after the August 2019 shootings?  You can't think of another reason why that might be?   Why not check if they were so quiet after an ISIS attack.  They choose there moment...like those on the left do I'm sure.  The aftermath of the August 2019 shootings were a time that the left wing was up in arms about hate crimes, domestic terrorism and the 2nd Amendment and so on, and the Right Wing was keeping it's head down waiting for things to blow over.  You could barely have picked a worse time to try and assess Google for potential bias.

I'm not interested in been drawn into an another interminable debate about media bias.  You'll have to have it with someone else.  It just doesn't interest me that much.  Let me know when you want to talk US elections again ?

Just now, Uptherams said:

That wasn't my assertion. Plenty of historical examples of political parties, religions, countries and leaders burning books or genocide, throughout human civilization. 

Also as you allude to, page result's and rankings are personalised. 

I'm surprised you guys can even muster up the courage to say or type the word right. ??

I shudder to think what search results Google offers you on a regular basis then  ?

43 minutes ago, maxjam said:

So Jack Dorsey (Twitter CEO) stating Twitter has a left wing bias, conservative Twitter staff saying they have been silenced, The Knight Foundation (slight left leaning bias, high factual reporting) doing a study showing a left bias and the Guardian stating a left leaning bias in an article isn't enough of an argument?

If you want me to show you right wing articles I can do that I'm not saying they don't exist, you are just far more likely to be directed to a left wing article as numerous articles and studies of high value have now shown.  For example, if you do a random search in google you will overwhelmingly be offered a choice of left leaning links (see of study in attached image).  Furthermore you are far more likely to be banned from social media if you have right leaning opinions.  

The best I can do to find evidence of right wing bias on social media are by and large opinion articles from left wing outlets.

GoogleBiasAug2019-Final-2.jpg

Is this left wing bias simply criticism of gun use, where they may be bought etc?

Could it be that the right's message of individual freedom manifesting itself in gun ownership doesn't come across well in the aftermath of said instruments being used to kill innocent people?

3 hours ago, Uptherams said:

The dozen or so 'lefties' on here that are most vocal and we all have run ins with, don't like Keir Starmer and the direction he'll 'drag' the party in

Not sure there are a dozen - maybe half a dozen? Anyway- I voted for Starmer, and I hope he moves the party away from the toxic Corbyn brand. The job is done there. I despair of those on the left who seem unable to learn that lesson

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

The culture war is being fuelled by the far left

I know we've done this before, but until you can admit that no one "far" side is worse than the other, you're just as much a part of the problem

The clue is in the word "war" -  a war takes two sides who both believe they are right and will not back down.

Even your own example 

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

If you say men can't be women on twitter you're disappeared online and they come after you in real life.

How is that the far left "fuelling" things? That's the far left reacting in an extreme way to an extreme comment that they disagree with. Now ask yourself why that person felt the need to say that oppressive thing on Twitter in the first place? and so it goes around. It's unhelpful to try with the "well.. they started it" argument. As my Dad used to say "they need their heads banging together"

Archived