The Politics Thread 2020

31 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

There is no post that breaks the rules

I did not "call out" G Star for being racist. In the same way that it wasn't him saying that "the normanton road area of Derby" wasn't following the social distancing rules, and perhaps that's why BAME people are disproportionately affected by the virus

He was just reporting that he'd seen that (racist) thing said on Facebook. 

That doesn't make *him*  racist, and I never said that it did. 

No post that breaks your rules. 

The post on Facebook said that there wasnt much social distancing going on in Normanton. 

Can you explain to all of us how that is racist please?

I seem to remember you getting slightly upset when someone 'called you out' for bleating racism based on anecdotal evidence of attacks on Chinese students...

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

No post that breaks your rules. 

The post on Facebook said that there wasnt much social distancing going on in Normanton. 

Can you explain to all of us how that is racist please?

I seem to remember you getting slightly upset when someone 'called you out' for bleating racism based on anecdotal evidence of attacks on Chinese students...

Experience tells me, you are wasting your time.  Racist is a default position for some..

38 minutes ago, Boycie said:

We having a sweep stake on when Boris will do his next presser?

Midnight 31st December 2020...GOT BREXIT DONE

7 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Will anyone actually be caring about that  given theres a strong possibility that we'll still be in the process of taking coronavirus and there may not be much left to take control of?

Equally across the water they will have the same problems, When Verhofstadt questions the EUs response you know there's a problem.

11 hours ago, Boycie said:

We having a sweep stake on when Boris will do his next presser?

Going by the Times article this morning it sounds like there are people inside the Torries unhappy with Boris and his early handling of the pandemic. 

Surely they cant be looking for a scapegoat already? 

Id expect him to show face sometime this week, depending on how he has recovered. 

58 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Going by the Times article this morning it sounds like there are people inside the Torries unhappy with Boris and his early handling of the pandemic. 

Surely they cant be looking for a scapegoat already? 

Id expect him to show face sometime this week, depending on how he has recovered. 

I can’t help but think there’s something fishy about the whole hospital episode.  That’s my opinion, controversial I know, easily shot down by pictures and reports, but, he comes out, we’re told he’ll need to rest and recover.  5 mins later he’s does a piece to camera from Chequers which everyone is amazed about.  Boris gets the applause and seems quite right too.

Then disappears again?

Come at me. 

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

I can’t help but think there’s something fishy about the whole hospital episode.  That’s my opinion, controversial I know, easily shot down by pictures and reports, but, he comes out, we’re told he’ll need to rest and recover.  5 mins later he’s does a piece to camera from Chequers which everyone is amazed about.  Boris gets the applause and seems quite right too.

Then disappears again?

Come at me. 

Is this the same conspiracy about him going missing in the days before he started the daily briefings? It's fairly obvious as was the case then, that he is working hard in the background to plan for what is to come. Like most people would..

Sith Happens
9 minutes ago, angieram said:

This is The Times article. It seems to be free to read unusually. It's quite scary if true, but there are a lot of unaccredited quotes in there. 

Is it one of those easily written with hindsight? I would be more impressed if the article was dated 24/01 and was telling us exactly what was going to happen if we followed the path we did.

This is the issue for me, there are so many experts coming out the woodwork saying we should have locked down earlier, I am willing to bet, though cant prove it, had we locked down earlier and the spread was slower people would be crying Y2K all over again.

The government were relying heavily on their own set of experts, if they had to sit down and listen to the thousands of experts all with different opinions nothing would ever have happened. Imagine if Phil Cocu listened to the 'experts' on here on match day, he'd never ever make a team selection.

Maybe the governments experts got it wrong, I guess when we get to the other side there will be a detailed investigation into what went right and what went wrong, and then we learn from it for future.

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

This is The Times article. It seems to be free to read unusually. It's quit scary if true, but there are a lot of unaccredited quotes in there. 

Just been reading this myself. It's pretty damning stuff but I'm not particularly surprised to be honest. I'm more perplexed at those folk who remain adamant that we're doing a good job of controlling the spread but I guess this is a conversation for the politics thread, not this one.

Sith Happens
Just now, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Just been reading this myself. It's pretty damning stuff but I'm not particularly surprised to be honest. I'm more perplexed at those folk who remain adamant that we're doing a good job of controlling the spread but I guess this is a conversation for the politics thread, not this one.

This is the politics thread ?

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Is it one of those easily written with hindsight? I would be more impressed if the article was dated 24/01 and was telling us exactly what was going to happen if we followed the path we did.

This is the issue for me, there are so many experts coming out the woodwork saying we should have locked down earlier, I am willing to bet, though cant prove it, had we locked down earlier and the spread was slower people would be crying Y2K all over again.

The government were relying heavily on their own set of experts, if they had to sit down and listen to the thousands of experts all with different opinions nothing would ever have happened. Imagine if Phil Cocu listened to the 'experts' on here on match day, he'd never ever make a team selection.

Maybe the governments experts got it wrong, I guess when we get to the other side there will be a detailed investigation into what went right and what went wrong, and then we learn from it for future.

As is always the case, these are the 'experts' the mainstream media gives a platform to and is never indicative of the consensus and any expert who dares try and enter the fray with a differing opinion, is labeled a kook or loon. The media backed the government into a corner. 

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Actually the crux of the article is that the opposite is true - that Boris ignored repeated warnings, missed 5 Cobra meetings and that he went missing every weekend when others on his team were working flat out and trying to implement safeguards - there's a lot of stuff there. Might be worth a read before you form any opinions.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Then disappears again?

Come at me. 

I know what you mean. Im hoping its all above board and there hasn't been any political games being played. 

8 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

What is damning though? Where are the facts about why the government was under-prepared and not just opinion? Not we could have shortages. Actual shortages.  Most of the ''reports'' of lack of PPE coming out of the NHS are from Labour activists. Average nurses or doctors. Completely anecdotal. As those responsible for PPE routinely come out and say they have enough supplies. So if there is any kind of shortage, it's through mishandling and mismanagement within the NHS. Getting the supplies to where they are required, in advance. People within the NHS were always going to contract and some even die from this virus, not least because of the environment they are in, but because of the sheer number of people that work for the NHS. 

Have people in the UK died because of a lack of ventilators? Have the hospitals been overwhelmed? Have we ran out of oxygen? Any sane person would look at these indicators as how successful the nation has been. Emergency hospitals with up to ten thousand beds, completely empty bar a few dozen people. 

Continually buying, manufacturing and asking UK businesses to help too with PPE and ventilators, isn't an indication of a crisis. It's an indication that the appropriate steps are taken in advance to there being one. 

People were screeching that we won't have enough hospital beds and ventilators. The government acted and delivered. The Nightingale hospitals indicate just how successful the government have been. 

8 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

What is damning though?

Well I guess we could start with the missed Cobra meetings and the fact that we've over 20,000 people dead. Or maybe the fact that our PM was only making himself available Monday to Friday, the lack of PPE, the aborted herd immunity project, the fact that other countries have been wildly more successful in limiting spread and mortality rates or a whole gamut of other stuff.

Or we could pat ourselves on the back and just say, 'wow, what a great job we're doing' as you appear to want to. If we end up with 30, 40 or even 50 thousand dead, it's gonna be very hard to take you or your stance terribly seriously I'm afraid.

Each to their own I guess ?‍♂️

Archived