Here’s one for you...

Ellafella

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Squid said:

also if i was to use google, what would i type that relates to that picture?

man in football team black and white photo with circle around him with some sort of Derby county relevance

No lol I get bored and look at football history sometimes ? 

A reverse image search like this one, would give you a link to an article such as this one, which would give you the answer.

15 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Another interesting article that gives the answers but @superzak was correct albeit in a cryptic way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23397062

Nice one @Ellafella

I’m hugely fascinated by the beginnings of the Football League and that period of history in particular (1860’s to 1900). A time of immense social, economic and political change and arguably Britain in its zenith. I’m also proud that our Derby County was in the thick of the very first action on that first day and beautiful in a weird way that we let in the very first goal after 2 minutes! In mitigation, Derby turned up late due to a late-running train and were clearly not settled at kick off but in true Derbyshire spirit, rallied to win. I gather that the same thing happened at Reading recently, when the coach broke down, and Scott Malone pulled down the centre-forward... 

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I’m hugely fascinated by the beginnings of the Football League and that period of history in particular (1860’s to 1900). A time of immense social, economic and political change and arguably Britain in its zenith. I’m also proud that our Derby County was in the thick of the very first action on that first day and beautiful in a weird way that we let in the very first goal after 2 minutes! In mitigation, Derby turned up late due to a late-running train and were clearly not settled at kick off but in true Derbyshire spirit, rallied to win. I gather that the same thing happened at Reading recently, when the coach broke down, and Scott Malone pulled down the centre-forward... 

....and we came back from 0-3 down to, er, lose 0-3? ?

28 minutes ago, REDCAR said:

No league for 4 years after we were formed?... blimey, didn't know that (forgive me).... (half a fan>>??)

Yes that’s right. But the FA Cup had started in 1871 and we played plenty of friendlies. In fact, those 4 years were crucial because there were other much more established Clubs in Derby that had more of a “right” to be invited to the League when it formed in 1888, but for a variety of reasons, it was Derby County who got the gig. 

One of my friends, a Blades fan, says "two clubs in Sheffield: Sheffield United and Sheffield".

Weren't Sheffield the first ever club? And I think he's technically right, not just a crap joke, Wednesday are in Owlstone which may not be part of Sheffield.

Another friend (I have two) kisses the ground at Parker's Piece in Cambridge. Another football historian. I think that's where the laws were first drafted.

And those rules have since been spoiled by the lot running the game now, offside by a toe, accidental handballs ruling out goals etc.

26 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

One of my friends, a Blades fan, says "two clubs in Sheffield: Sheffield United and Sheffield".

Weren't Sheffield the first ever club? And I think he's technically right, not just a crap joke, Wednesday are in Owlstone which may not be part of Sheffield.

Another friend (I have two) kisses the ground at Parker's Piece in Cambridge. Another football historian. I think that's where the laws were first drafted.

And those rules have since been spoiled by the lot running the game now, offside by a toe, accidental handballs ruling out goals etc.

That’s right @IslandExile. If you have a look at the FA website, you’ll see the first few drafts of the rules. The game then was a real mixture of rugby and football and included being allowed to catch the ball and calling the mark (as in contemporary rugby union) and also for opponents to “hack” a player (literally kick him hard on the shin which sometimes resulted in smashed shin bones). On 17th Nov Ebenezer Cobb Morley {coincidentally the same surname as our William J Morley} set out the first draft of the FA rules. There’s a fascinating story of the “pro-hackers” v “anti-hackers”...

28 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Annie Chapman?

are we saying this bloke was Jack the Ripper.

No @RamNut. But at 6am on Sat 8th Sept, 1888, Annie Chapman’s body was found in Whitechapel. She was Jack the Ripper’s 2nd victim. As the Derby players were returning home on the train, the evening editions of the newspapers that day would’ve had “Jack the Ripper strikes again!” On the front pages and “Derby County go top after comeback at Bolton”...on the back pages. I put the link of Annie Chapman in to provide the date ...the start of the football league. 

1 hour ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Is it the husband of one of Wazza's geriatric female friends?

Common misconception. She wasn't actually that old, she was only in her 40s.

She was a grandmother because both her and her daughter had kids young.

She may be a great grandma now who knows.

Archived