Athletic World Championships

CWC1983

Anymore watching this? 

No one in Qatar seems to be. Mens 100m final last night and womans tonight. The stadiums are empty. 

Coleman won the mens 100m final but only got to participate in the championship due to a technicality.  Originally he was banned for missing drug tests. 

Hassan won the womans 10k with an outstanding last 2 laps. It looked easy.

Shame she's trained by Salazar,  who was being investigated by US anti drug authorities. The same Salazar who Mo had to distance himself from. 

There's an uneasiness in the BBC studio regarding the drug issues and choice of hosts that Ive never seen before. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Anymore watching this? 

No one in Qatar seems to be. Mens 100m final last night and womans tonight. The stadiums are empty. 

Coleman won the mens 100m final but only got to participate in the championship due to a technicality.  Originally he was banned for missing drug tests. 

Shame she's trained by Salazar,  who was being investigated by US anti drug authorities. The same Salazar who Mo had to distance himself from. 

There's an uneasiness in the BBC studio regarding the drug issues and choice of hosts that Ive never seen before. 

Yes, I always watch the big athletics events. We were in London two years ago for three nights of fantastic action in front of sell-out crowds. 

A crass decision to take the championships to Qatar from both a human rights and profile perspective; but like at the very top of football, money is all.

Absolutely brilliant last night to see Dina Asher-Smith win her silver medal. She could go one better in 200 if she can cope with the tight schedule.

11 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Anymore watching this? 

I run for GB Masters at 100m.   Coleman is so far up his own that he has been threatening action for defamation.  Shut up and take your good fortune.  Second place Gatlin, every race he takes part in is dirty, should have been banned for life. for 2 drugs offences.  They undermine the sport as does putting it on in Doha.  I know it sounds crazy but the next thing will be putting the WC on it that region but even FIFA couldn't be that stupid

If this is going to be the state of the World Cup in a couple of years, I feel so sorry for anyone turning up. Because clearly, no one in the country cares about athletics. Empty soulless stadium. I hope FIFA give countries more ticket allocations because otherwise no games will sell out.

Garbage, money rules as per usual. 

5 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Aren't they having to hold some of the events at absurd (local) times because of the heat?

Won't help.....neither will the fact that there won't be any home athletes in any finals I'd have thought.

Qatar used to 'buy' African athletes to show off as their own. Ethiopians etc. 

Not sure if they still do. 

So Salazar has eventually been banned for 4 years for Doping violations. 

He was in charge of the Nike Oregan project. Big business involved in sport and ambitious atheletes. Never going to go smoothly.  

Paula Radcliffe interview on BBC was interesting. As a Nike representative, friend of Sir Mo and questions regarding her past shes not really an impartial person to interview. 

On 30/09/2019 at 08:09, angieram said:

Yes, I always watch the big athletics events. We were in London two years ago for three nights of fantastic action in front of sell-out crowds. 

A crass decision to take the championships to Qatar from both a human rights and profile perspective; but like at the very top of football, money is all.

Absolutely brilliant last night to see Dina Asher-Smith win her silver medal. She could go one better in 200 if she can cope with the tight schedule.

I'm obviously better at athletics predictions than I am at @mozza's dcfc predictions league. ?

Archived