Eurovision 2019

My dip into the annual camp-fest that is the Eurovision song contest.

It's easy to forget this little beacon of continental (plus a few geographical oddities that cling on).

I've just watched the Icelandic entry which was commendably camp and possibly trans gender. I'm hoping @ramit is supporting his countrymen who seemed to be sporting quite alarming white tights.

This show is being fronted for the UK by a bearded effort with tippexed teeth who seems vaguely familiar from possibly some dreadful reality TV show and his focussed far more on the performers than the acts.

I'm loving it so far........?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, HantsRam said:

Are you a Eurovision gammon? ?

Not sure how to respond, I think I have a high appreciation of quality and imo this is not in that Category.  Sorry you felt the need to insult me but if that is your approach to those with a different opinion good luck to you

16 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

My dip into the annual camp-fest that is the Eurovision song contest.

It's easy to forget this little beacon of continental (plus a few geographical oddities that cling on).

I've just watched the Icelandic entry which was commendably camp and possibly trans gender. I'm hoping @ramit is supporting his countrymen who seemed to be sporting quite alarming white tights.

This show is being fronted for the UK by a bearded effort with tippexed teeth who seems vaguely familiar from possibly some dreadful reality TV show and his focussed far more on the performers than the acts.

I'm loving it so far........?

Thank you HantsRam, i surely am.

i am so into Hatari that my teen son calls me a fanboy and i don't even mind.  They sure stand out, that's for sure.  They have a good sense of humour as displayed by their self mockery of fighting capitalism by promoting a fictional soft drink Sodadream and their promotional sponsors Relentless Scam Inc. because taking down capitalism is an expensive venture.  The two singers are actually first cousins. 

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

Not sure how to respond, I think I have a high appreciation of quality and imo this is not in that Category.  Sorry you felt the need to insult me but if that is your approach to those with a different opinion good luck to you

You felt insulted?

Why come onto a thread that is quite clearly titled to be about something you hold in complete disdain to issue a one word dismissive condemnation?

To an original post that was quite obviously a light hearted commentary on the silliness of it all, rather than some pompous justification/ op ed treatise on what constitutes "quality".

Get over yourself!

4 minutes ago, ramit said:

i am so into Hatari that my teen son calls me a fanboy and i don't even mind.  They sure stand out, that's for sure.  They have a good sense of humour as displayed by their self mockery of fighting capitalism by promoting a fictional soft drink Sodadream and their promotional sponsors Relentless Scam Inc. because taking down capitalism is an expensive venture.  The two singers are actually first cousins. 

Absolutely @ramit. In the true spirit I'd say.

Our show here tells me I'm not allowed to vote in the UK- I'd surely have shown solidarity with our friends in the north Atlantic ?

2 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

You felt insulted?

Why come onto a thread that is quite clearly titled to be about something you hold in complete disdain to issue a one word dismissive condemnation?

To an original post that was quite obviously a light hearted commentary on the silliness of it all, rather than some pompous justification/ op ed treatise on what constitutes "quality".

Get over yourself!

Ok we are obviously very different people, good bye 

3 minutes ago, Needless said:

Eurovision is cobblers. Nothing good happened since Cheryl Baker's skirt got ripped off, and post-Terry Wogan all hope of entertainment has gone.

Terry's lines were legendary as the red wine slipped down and the annual overwhelming sense of futility and despair took over.

"Oh no, its doctor death and the  tooth fairy"

I think Gay Pride has taken over this year.....the camp is more extreme than ever....?

5 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Terry's lines were legendary as the red wine slipped down and the annual overwhelming sense of futility and despair took over.

"Oh no, its doctor death and the  tooth fairy"

I think Gay Pride has taken over this year.....the camp is more extreme than ever....?

It’s about time we had some entries from non heterosexual contingent. Well done.

5 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Has our money seen us through as per?

It's like our permanent seat on the UN security council. A free pass based on past glories (and some cash).

Only in this case our past glories are based on tambourines and a chorus of la-la-las, rather than hard nosed conquest and a healthy dose of colonisation ?

4 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

It's like our permanent seat on the UN security council. A free pass based on past glories (and some cash).

Only in this case our past glories are based on tambourines and a chorus of la-la-las, rather than hard nosed conquest and a healthy dose of colonisation ?

Well done, you've cost us at least one overseas vote!

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

And Iceland are through Ramit ?

Never doubted it, even if Klemens went off key at a certain point, they are simply too outrageous to ignore.  How they will do in the finals is of course yet to be seen.  They explain their act as a dystopian vision, that we either unite as one or hatred will prevail.  Balls, yes great big ones.

Australia all the way for me, actually quite a  fan of Kate Miller-Heidke, own a couple of her albums and back in 2014 I saw her perform live in front of about 30 people at The Bodega in Nottingham. She's huge in Australia but doesn't seem to have caught the attention of the rest of the world yet.

Brilliant voice (if you like operatic pop, which you don't) and the song written for this year's competition is all about that fleeting feeling when a deep depression seems to lift (in this case post-natal) so there's some substance to it too.

11 hours ago, ramit said:

Hatari are bloody brilliant. Got their EP on repeat on Spotify at the moment. I love how anti-Eurovision the song is too. 

Archived