Riga

admira

Off to Riga with the Mrs for Christmas.

Can anyone recommend any 'safe' bars to drink in please as there are some absolute horror stories on t'internet?

Hoping for a good night out on Christmas Eve but would rather come home with my credit card and legs intact!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, admira said:

Off to Riga with the Mrs for Christmas.

Can anyone recommend any 'safe' bars to drink in please as there are some absolute horror stories on t'internet?

Hoping for a good night out on Christmas Eve but would rather come home with my credit card and legs intact!

DEL would be your man but he is on the naughty step.. Never been myself but have a great time.

I went to Riga with my wife and her kids about 4 years ago.

Had a fabulous time. 

There is a restaurant we found not far from the Cathedral. It was down stairs in a pub. I think it was called Alus arsenāls. It had its own micro brewery and the food was fantastic and lots of it.

If you want authentic go to the cafe Leningrad. cheap and great fun

We also booked a trip to a castle ruins which was about 45 minutes on a coach. Not sure what it was called. The trip also included evening dinner in a local restaurant, not too expensive and a great day out. If i can find the info I will let you know.

Be aware of pick pockets as it is rife, but at no time even wandering around at night did we feel threatened. Just stick to the main routes after dark.

The KGB building and museum is a very dark place but my two teenagers loved it. 

Amongst the horror stories, you might find the odd taxi mare.

Avoid late night ones, pal of mine had a few drinks and taxi ended up taking him down a dark alley, to be met by drivers mates and a good beating, losing wallet in process.

I’m sure all societies have such horror stories, I somehow got the impression this wasn’t so isolated though, so perhaps be wary; jut sharing what I was told (he came back with some nasty bruises).

Archived