Our Defence

Day

Keep seeing calls to tinker with our defence, Forsyth is crap play Malone, move Tomori to right back rest Bogle and play Davies. 

Don't understand it myself, the defence has been fine. 

Owen Bradley put in a defence of Forsyth on the Sheff Utd Review Show and fired a few stats out https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/10/the-sheffield-united-review-show

Few more stats:
- Only 2 teams have conceded fewer goals in the top 6 so far, Boro and Leeds.
- We have only conceded more than 1 goal in 2 of our 13 games this season.
- We haven't conceded more than 1 goal in the Championship since the Millwall game in August.

Our defence:

------------------------------------------
Forsyth Tomori Keogh Bogle

Clean Sheets v: Ipswich, **Preston, Blackburn

Conceded 1 Goal v: Rotherham, Brentford, Bolton, QPR, Sheff Utd

Conceded 2+ Goals v:

P8 W4 D2 L2 F10 A5 Pts 14

Lowe Davies Keogh Wisdom

Clean Sheets v:

Conceded 1 Goal v: Reading

Conceded 2+ Goals v:

P1 W1 D0 L0 F2 A1 Pts 3

Lowe Tomori Keogh Wisdom

Clean Sheets v:

Conceded 1 Goal v: 

Conceded 2+ Goals v: Leeds

P1 W0 D0 L1 F1 A4 Pts 0

Malone Tomori Keogh Bogle

Clean Sheets v:

Conceded 1 Goal v: Norwich

Conceded 2+ Goals v: *Millwall

P2 W0 D1 L1 F3 A2 Pts 1

Malone Tomori Keogh Wisdom

Clean Sheets v:

Conceded 1 Goal v: Hull

Conceded 2+ Goals v:

P1 W1 D0 L0 F2 A1 Pts 3

*Forsyth replaced Malone at half time v Millwall, both goals were conceded in the first half
** Wisdom replaced Bogle on 30 minutes v Preston, we left a clean sheet
*** Forsyth replaced Malone on 73 minutes v Hull, we had already conceded the one goal Hull scored

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just do not understand why people don’t like Forsyth.

Said it before. Must be the ungainly dribbling style and occasional weird pass. 

He’s a good crosser of the ball (yes I know some go into Row Z but when he strikes it correctly, it’s got a flight path that’s hard to defend and easy for an forward to attack), rarely lets his man past and is so strong defensively you can afford to push the winger ahead of him further up the field.

And when was the last time you saw him lose an aerial challenge?

I think it's perhaps the frustration stemming from the number of times Sheff Utd got behind our full backs on Saturday that's leading to questions. 

With hindsight, they set up with an attacking wing-back formation, completely overloading our full backs (such as for the goal) but it becomes easy to look for a scapegoat rather than accept the opposition got their tactics spot on in the first half. 

Same thing happens anywhere in the team, fans call for changes because in their minds it's the only way an impact could be made. 

Forsyth record has and is extremely good, people just want to criticise anyone who has been here a while and even when the attacking aspects are taken into account he does seem to create a lot more chances and goals than our right full backs do - well that’s what it seems like to me 

I do agree, when I see some of the changes suggested it's like Championshop Manager on steroids. This insistence that someone who isn't playing must be better than someone who is - why? On what logic?

Players will get their chance based on what they show in training and on match day - Marriott is a great example, some (well one) wrote him off as a stud but it is now obvious there was a clear plan to get him up to speed and then let him loose.

In Frank & Jody we trust....

I wrote D-U-D, it says that one my screen - I am not saying Jack Marriott is a stud, I'm not even saying he is a stud, I'm just saying someone said (and I don't know how they managed) that he is a stud. But it keeps saying he is a stud, which he might well be but it's not the point I am trying to make.

image.thumb.png.1fbcf68b52468bc7d5f3d2568e197045.png

21 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Swansea and Birmingham have conceded 11 and 13 respectively and have played 14 but are on 20 points only 1 point behind Derby. 

4 points between Derby and Stoke in 17th who have conceded 20 goals  

Blimey this is a tight division.  I’m not massively confident about the next two games and I guess two defeats could see us plummet down the table.  The good thing is though that a couple of wins means you’re right back up there again.  

The Stats

tl;dr don't move Tomori!!!

Tackles per game
Tomori 2.1
Malone 2
Bogle 1.8
Wisdom 1.5
Forsyth 1.3
Keogh 0.9
Davies 0.5

Total Tackles
Tomori 25
Bogle 18
Forsyth 13
Keogh 12
Malone 8
Wisdom 6
Davies 1

Interceptions per game
Tomori 1.7
Wisdom 1.5
Forsyth 1.2
Davies 1
Malone 1
Bogle 0.6
Keogh 0.5

Interceptions Total
Tomori 25
Forsyth 12
Keogh 7
Wisdom 6
Bogle 6
Malone 4
Davies 2

Clearances per game
Tomori 5.1
Keogh 4.4
Forsyth 2.7
Bogle 1.4
Wisdom 1.3
Davies 1
Malone 0.5

Clearances Total
Tomori 61
Keogh 57
Forsyth 27
Bogle 14
Wisdom 5
Davies 2
Malone 2

Accurate Short Passes per game
Keogh 47.2
Tomori 43.3
Bogle 37.7
Forsyth 33.2
Davies 32
Wisdom 25.8
Malone 14.3

Inaccurate Short Passes Per Game
Forsyth 10
Wisdom 7.3
Bogle 5.8
Keogh 5.5
Tomori 5.3
Davies 3.5
Malone 3.3

Accurate Long Balls Per Game
Keogh 5.5
Tomori 3.7
Bogle 2.7
Davies 2.5
Malone 2.5
Forsyth 2.4
Wisdom 2.3

Inaccurate Long Balls Per Game
Tomori 5.2
Forsyth 4.6
Keogh 4.2
Wisdom 3.8
Bogle 3.3
Malone 3
Davies 2

Tackles aren’t always the best way of measuring a CB’s performance, as the very best tend to avoid tackling, but I take the point.

Tomori uses his pace a lot, meaning he often catches up with opposition players dribbling or meets players in possession, so I’m not surprised his stats are so high.

Heard the people behind me complain that he relies on pace too much. So what? The end result is the same as a slower player who relies on their positional awareness and reading of the game - the opposition didn’t score. 

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Tackles aren’t always the best way of measuring a CB’s performance

Stats aren't always the best way of measuring a performance.

But they are still interesting when you can manipulate them into the opinion you're trying to put across.

Don't move Tomori!

2 hours ago, Duracell said:

Just do not understand why people don’t like Forsyth.

Said it before. Must be the ungainly dribbling style and occasional weird pass. 

He’s a good crosser of the ball (yes I know some go into Row Z but when he strikes it correctly, it’s got a flight path that’s hard to defend and easy for an forward to attack), rarely lets his man past and is so strong defensively you can afford to push the winger ahead of him further up the field.

And when was the last time you saw him lose an aerial challenge?

Only needed to see Malone try and defend once and I realised Forsyth is a better full back. Malone can go forward, but his positioning is atrocious.

21 minutes ago, Srg said:

Only needed to see Malone try and defend once and I realised Forsyth is a better full back. Malone can go forward, but his positioning is atrocious.

Jesus Christ is this how quickly we make a decision on a player these days?

53 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Jesus Christ is this how quickly we make a decision on a player these days?

Are you telling me you think Malone is a better defender?

Everyone knows his strength is going forward, and he will help in games where we need that. On defensive qualities alone, Forsyth is better. There's nothing earth shattering here - this has been known for Malone's whole career, he's not a kid who's going to suddenly morph into a stalwart defender. I fully imagine Lampard knows this too, which is why he bought him, to help in games where we need an outlet from the back when we're dominating possession. 

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

Are you telling me you think Malone is a better defender?

Everyone knows his strength is going forward, and he will help in games where we need that. On defensive qualities alone, Forsyth is better. There's nothing earth shattering here - this has been known for Malone's whole career, he's not a kid who's going to suddenly morph into a stalwart defender. I fully imagine Lampard knows this too, which is why he bought him, to help in games where we need an outlet from the back when we're dominating possession. 

You said you only needed to see him try to defend once to realise Forsyth is a better full back, that's not based on his career.

Archived