Invictus Games

BaaLocks

Thoughts?

Glass Half Full: What a wonderful opportunity for people who have put their lives on the line in name of Queen and country to reinvigorate themselves. Bravo Harry and team for setting up this opportunity and great that it grows and thrives as a celebration of recovery and what people are prepared to put on the line for their country.

Glass Half Empty: Why just soldiers? Why just (challenge me if I'm wrong) mainly physical injury, why not PTSD? Why not civilian victims of war? Why just war, doesn't that just glorify it all? Some guy who lost both legs in a car accident, are they less worthy in what they have done to overcome adversity?

Just interested in thoughts, if it was a poll I'd be looking for the glass three quarters full options, fwiw.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Glass Half Empty: Why just soldiers? Why just (challenge me if I'm wrong) mainly physical injury, why not PTSD? Why not civilian victims of war? Why just war, doesn't that just glorify it all? Some guy who lost both legs in a car accident, are they less worthy in what they have done to overcome adversity?

It's not just physical injury, there was a guy last year that suffered from PTSD competing. 

37 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

This & I've been giving this some thought over the last few days.

Soldiers get injured during the course of their job. It's not exactly out of the blue. Where as civilians get injured all the time and don't get the support and recognition of their efforts to overcome their resulting disabilities.

Yes, the armed forces do a great job. But it is a risky job.

I didn't even know what it was to be honest. I saw it was something to do with the royal family and switched off

Now you've made me look it up and yeah - it is what it is.

Suspect a lot of it is to do with the way people in the forces have a special bond/loyalty to each other regardless. The idea  of them having a special tournament for their injured colleagues is the kind of thing they would be well into

I wish them all the best and hope they have fun

Think that those in the military who suffer such injuries also find it difficult to adjust to a civilian life style, probably not used to day to day routine practices such as shopping, budgeting for bills, household chores living in a community ect.

Once worked with a guy who had just come out of the navy after 20 years and used to just send his money home. Didn't have a clue how to pay a bill do a food shop or manage his free time because whilst in the forces free time meant drinking or sleeping.

Archived