Motorhoming

Day

Just now, Gritters said:

Wow!! Did you go to shrove tide? It's a rare sight if you haven't been before.

Nope, walked the dog a lot and went to the football, then sat in a tub all night. Missus will tell you we had “quality” time together, I’d tell you the WiFi wasn’t great.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
Just now, David said:

Remember I’m looking to hire one, no way would my missus be down for hiring a transit and slinging the mattress in off our bed for a week. Will have more chance of persuading her to spend a week in the garden in a tent.

Off your bed? Reckon @Lambchop will have you searching through the litter/sofa watch thread for one. ?

58 minutes ago, David said:

Anyone hired one before and hit the road?

Missus has a week off in November, wants a lodge in the middle of nowhere with a hot tub. Told her no, we’ve got a bath at home and a bunch of fields behind her.

My idea is renting one, hitting the road and see where we end up, no plans other than rough idea of where to aim for, London, South Coast, through the tunnel into France, back out Cornwall area, into Wales, up to the Lake District down to the Midlands to watch Derby then home.

6ft 3” so a bit worried it will be a week of hell if the weathers crap. Did a week on the Norfolk Broads on a boat, kept waking up with my toes in me mates gob it was that cramped.

Can you just park up anywhere legal or do you have to use camp sites, how long does the power last without hooking up, the toilet? How often does that need flushing out. 

Seen a couple for £400, probably stop in b&b’s for that by time you add petrol, tunnel and camp costs. Just fancy doing something a bit different, strap the bikes to the back of it and a bit of freedom.

Got the dog as well you see.

Please god, not London!!!

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

I wouldn't worry,  if he follow lambchops advice he wont make it as far as Scunthorpe

Just now, Angry Ram said:

Done it before. Ended up in Police car driving round trying to identify the group of lads that tried to rob me in the Underground. Not sure why I was there, young, pissed off with family, ended up calling them for me to cover the train fare back. Didn’t even get to see Buckingham Palace. 

39 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Don't fork out hiring anything fancy, there's nothing more miserable than 'cooking' in a vehicle. All you need is a van with a mattress in the back. That's what I've got; no faffing about with sinks and furniture, just somewhere comfortable to sleep that you can park anywhere. 

Don't waste time and money on campsites, shower in leisure centres, eat in pubs and cafes. Generally you can park anywhere if you arrive late, leave early, and don't make it obvious you're staying overnight. The best places are deseted little national trust type car parks on the coast. Don't try to cover too much ground if you haven't got long, you'll just spend all your time driving.

I see your mattress in the back of a transit, and raise you my sleeping bag in the boot of my Toyota aygo. I’m often having to sleep in my car for work (I’m having to wait for mums to give birth, it’s an odd job). I wish I had a transit with a mattress. 

The compromise, in this situation, would be a transit with a hot tub in the back. The dog would love it. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Missus has a week off in November, wants a lodge in the middle of nowhere with a hot tub. Told her no, we’ve got a bath at home and a bunch of fields behind her.

My idea is renting one, hitting the road and see where we end up, no plans other than rough idea of where to aim for, London, South Coast, through the tunnel into France, back out Cornwall area, into Wales, up to the Lake District down to the Midlands to watch Derby then home.

6ft 3” so a bit worried it will be a week of hell if the weathers crap. Did a week on the Norfolk Broads on a boat, kept waking up with my toes in me mates gob it was that cramped.

Can you just park up anywhere legal or do you have to use camp sites, how long does the power last without hooking up, the toilet? How often does that need flushing out. 

Seen a couple for £400, probably stop in b&b’s for that by time you add petrol, tunnel and camp costs. Just fancy doing something a bit different, strap the bikes to the back of it and a bit of freedom.

I hate to tell you, but this plan won’t work. The the tunnel doesn’t come back out into the Cornwall area. 

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I see your mattress in the back of a transit, and raise you my sleeping bag in the boot of my Toyota aygo. I’m often having to sleep in my car for work (I’m having to wait for mums to give birth, it’s an odd job). I wish I had a transit with a mattress. 

The compromise, in this situation, would be a transit with a hot tub in the back. The dog would love it. 

Don’t be ridiculous, it would never fit between the wheel arches.

you'd have to seal the whole back and fill it with water instead. Re route the exhaust into the pool for the bubbles.

Always thinking.

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I see your mattress in the back of a transit, and raise you my sleeping bag in the boot of my Toyota aygo.

Are you a gnome, they're tiny!

I haven't got a transit, it's a VW Caddy Maxi. They're the perfect size, 7ft long in the back, drives like a car and does 55mpg. 

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

6ft 2. It’s a bit of a squeeze. 

I would make a joke about it leaves her a good 10 inches to play with..but i think.i will leave that to someone else.

My in-laws have a big motorhome and we quite often borrow it, although I have to do all the driving  because the missus doesn't have that class of vehicle on her license. It's loads of fun and nice to be self-contained. My one tip would be to make sure you know how tall it is when driving and cross reference this to bridges and car park barriers ?

If you want to go through the eurotunnel, I'd recommend going up the coast from Calais into Belgium - there are some lovely places, loads of campsites and a tram line that runs along the coast so you can just park up the van and not worry abut getting about. Then either come back the same way you came or carry on up to Rotterdam and head back via Hull. Going south from Calais and heading back via Cornwall is going to get expensive in terms of fuel and ferry

On 24/07/2018 at 19:21, David said:

Not sure November is a great month to go motorhoming.

Why not book a fog friendly cottage with a Jacuzzi and explore from there.

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Not sure November is a great month to go motorhoming.

Why not book a fog friendly cottage with a Jacuzzi and explore from there.

Being tied down to one place can be a bit of a bore, especially when you want to try somewhere new and it turns out to be pants. 

For what it's worth the she's crushing my motorhome plans, it's now looking like a lodge or nothing. 

Bit boring. 

Now looking for locations where I can take the bike and bugger off for the day whilst she switches between hot tub and ITV 2

1 minute ago, David said:

Being tied down to one place can be a bit of a bore, especially when you want to try somewhere new and it turns out to be pants. 

For what it's worth the she's crushing my motorhome plans, it's now looking like a lodge or nothing. 

Bit boring. 

Now looking for locations where I can take the bike and bugger off for the day whilst she switches between hot tub and ITV 2

I recommend north York's moors/coast.

Loads of cycle tracks from old railway lines to proper off road mountain biking.

Not far and loads of good pubs.

1 minute ago, sage said:

I recommend north York's moors/coast.

Loads of cycle tracks from old railway lines to proper off road mountain biking.

Not far and loads of good pubs.

Dalby Forest did cross my mind, went there for Go Ape, didn't really explore much but Googling later theres a fair bit to explore with walking and on the bike. Fancied somewhere different but then we haven't kinda done this properly yet. Just not sure theres enough for the week. 

Archived