Derby till i die....and beyond

vicky-27

The Rams have a new partnership with the Midlands Co-operative Funeral Service

Derby County have joined together with the Midlands co-operative Funeral Service to offer fans of the Rams funeral packages aimed at club supporters.

The club aim to offer Rams themed funerals, with either the club logo or flag draped on the coffin. Other services will enable the ashes of the deceased to be scattered at the side of the pitch at Pride Park.

It is unclear at the moment if the scattering of ashes will be allowed, as the practise of scattering ashes on the pitch was banned some time ago due to the health and safety implications.

The club claims to have had several enquiries lately into the possibility of a Rams themed funeral and the Midlands Co-operative were happy to lend a hand in organising these arrangements...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 years later...

Hi all, managed to find this old thread from the forum's long lost archives! Id just like to see what peoples thoughts are regarding remembering fans and family that are no longer with us through the club.

Last week my Dad lost his long, horrible and very tiresome battle with brain cancer, and passed away at only 56. As I am sure you can imagine it is still very raw to even talk about so please forgive me if this post makes little sense.

My Dad was a HUGE Derby fan and supported the club his entire life, passing on his love and passion to myself and the rest of our family. He had been taking me to games from a very young age and we have been season ticket holders for 20+ years. He simply loved being at the matches and wouldn't miss a game if he could help it. Unfortunately, his nightmare got the better of him in November last year and he had to give up attending the games as he was simply too poorly, and the other supporters and friends we have made around us could see how hard he was fighting to attend. We always lived in hope that he would maybe make it to another match, but unfortunately that never happened.

Me and my family want Dad to finally be out of his nightmare and be able to rest peacefully (when he isn't bouncing along with the south stand that is) in the place where he loved being the most, and thats at Pride Park. We have enquired about the memorial bricks at the stadium and that would be perfect for Dad, because that way he would never miss a match and he would be there with us every game too.

The memorial bricks for Derby fans who are no longer with us are now being located outside of the main entrance, as the remembrance bricks that are outside of the turnstiles are all full. 

However, we feel that the memorial bricks at the main entrance are done in a rather disrespectful/distasteful way, and that more should be done to these memorial areas to ensure they are respected, especially as the club have made alot of effort over the recent years to set up the "Rams Remember" campaign.

I am just wondering if people on here have ever seen the memorial bricks outside of the main entrance? and whether anybody knows of any ways to potentially bring this to the clubs attention, so that plans could maybe be discussed to provide a more respectful and fitting tribute and memorial to those Derby fans who have sadly left us.?

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your Dad, I know from personal experience how difficult a time this is and how you want to do the right thing for your Dad.

Have you thought about writing/contacting our clubs owner directly? I’m sure this is something he would want to be aware of and respond to.

4 hours ago, tommoram said:

I am just wondering if people on here have ever seen the memorial bricks outside of the main entrance? and whether anybody knows of any ways to potentially bring this to the clubs attention, so that plans could maybe be discussed to provide a more respectful and fitting tribute and memorial to those Derby fans who have sadly left us.?

It's perhaps not any easy thing to consider but why not involve the media? Try contacting the DET and tell them of your Dad's story and your concern, they *might* give it more coverage than an email to the club would.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions @oldtimeram, @61GT and @RoyMac5, both options that I will explore and see if they could provide any avenues to highlight my concerns to the club. I know the situation may fall on alot of deaf ears but it really is something that I feel my Dad, and any other passionate supporters of Derby who pass in the years ahead, deserves.....to be peacefully and respectfully resting at the place where he was happy, loved spending time and enjoyed so many memories.  

@61GT you have got it spot on. All we want, is to do what is right for our Dad, and give him what he deserves and we want it to be nice for him too, not simply a brick outside the main entrance where anybody can walk and drop litter (there were even cigarette butts in the paving grout grooves of currently laid memorial bricks).

17 hours ago, tommoram said:

The memorial bricks for Derby fans who are no longer with us are now being located outside of the main entrance, as the remembrance bricks that are outside of the turnstiles are all full. 

However, we feel that the memorial bricks at the main entrance are done in a rather disrespectful/distasteful way, and that more should be done to these memorial areas to ensure they are respected, especially as the club have made alot of effort over the recent years to set up the "Rams Remember" campaign.

So sorry for your loss man - Our thoughts are with you

I'd suggest not rushing into anything - Have a good long think about it - The bricks aren't going anywhere and your memories of your dad and his love for the club aren't either - If you're not happy with what the club currently offers wait until they offer something better or until you come up with the right tribute :)

Thank you for the message @cheron85. Absolutely agree, our family have said that we only want what would be the most fitting tribute for Dad, and that is something we wont rush. Its a double edge sword really as we want to give him what he deserves and something that is respectful which could take time, but at the same time, he has had such a long and horrible battle for the past 15-16 months that we feel its only right he gets to rest peacefully.

Archived