Scottish Football

Jimbo Ram

On 21/07/2018 at 14:40, Inglorius said:

Absolute tosh how did the teams in the Scottish Premiership benefit from losing gate revenues by not playing Rangers a minimum of 3 times in a season given that Rangers are with Celtic by far and away the best supported teams in the entire league.

Sorry mate, been away for a week. 

As soon as Rangers were liquidated the main stream press went overboard on Armageddon for Scotish football. The hacks were hell bent on creating mass panic amongst the clubs to try to get them to tow the party line and accept  the new Rangers into the SPL. (Think Brexit.....) They trotted out the same line as you regarding lost revenue. 

The fans of the other SPL clubs basically told their boards " If you let Rangers back in to the SPL, say goodbye to your season tickets. " It was all about sporting integrity. 

For once, the fans had some power, and as soon as the clubs voted to reject Rangers application, the fans of the other clubs stayed true to their word and rallied round and bought additional season tickets / merchandise. Most clubs had record sales that season. I bought one and attended 1 game all season. 

Clubs didnt miss 3 games against Rangers. At most it was 2, because the home club keeps the revenue. The big crowds at Ibrox and Parkhead only benefit the old firm. Clubs also found that the reduced policing costs and reduced maintenance costs of non Rangers games was beneficial. 

Believe it or not, when the old firm come to town there is a fair chunk of people who wont go to the games with their children because of the religious rubbish and disorder that follows them.

People started coming back to games, to the extent that Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen have reduced the away allocation to Celtic and Rangers in the past 2 years. 

Prior to Rangers getting liquidated the majority of the clubs were heavily in debt. Since then, the majority are debt free.   

The old firm duopoly prior to liquidation was killing the game. In all honesty, the only club that misses Rangers are Celtic, because if both clubs are strong then their boards can play to the sterotypes and push the sectarian crap to the drongo's. Take a look at Rangers 2nd strip this season as evidence. 

This season Hearts Hibs Kilmarnock Aberdeen have record ticket sales and someone quoted the figure of 1 in 7 people in Scotland have a season ticket. 

The attendances over the last couple of years indicate that Scotland Premier league has the 1st or 2nd best % of attendances against population in Europe. 

All in all, Scotish football is in the healthiest state since the mid 80's, and the turning point was Rangers getting caught cheating with the EBT's. Basically they were living outwith their means and suffered the consequences. 

Quite ironic today when QPR get a slap on the wrist for living outwith their means. 

There was so much stuff not getting reported down south around the time of the liquidation that I can understand peoples perception that the game would die without Rangers. All it did was give the game a kick up the arse, and if anything brought clubs and fans together. To me that's a good thing.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Easy to knock Scottish football, but hats off to Aberdeen for taking the "mighty" EPL giant that is Burnley FC to extra time in their Europa League qualifier, following two 1-1 draws.

Yes, its a bit of a shock to see the European novices knock out a team with such European pedigree. 

Shows the current state Scotish football must be in...........

16 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

And remember that easy group that England always get in the qualifiers, please remind us all how you got on boys?

5aj8uq.jpg

Disgusting. ducking ridiculous, you lot are bank anyway. Get a life.

Nearly as bad as Forest and Leeds fans you Scots. 

1 hour ago, Mr Giggles said:

I'm not one. I'm one of you. I'm just surrounded by them. I have a life. Just sharing a photo of how the locals behave.

17 hours ago, David said:

Further than Scotland.

I think you misread the post. I was highlighting the fact regarding how far the Scots (Aberdeen boys) had got on in the World Cup, as the locals always insist on how lucky England are, as they always end up in the easy qualification groups, with the irony being that Scotland were in the same easy group this time around, and still failed to get out of it.

2hnmiwp.jpg

And if I spent the same money on all the football tops that beat Scotland like the locals do on the teams that beat England I'd be a very skint man!

1 hour ago, eddie said:

I see stabbing season has started at Ibrox.

I was reading about it this morning. The Croats only had a 100 or so fans, all looking for trouble and had been drinking in the centre all day.  They were picking off random fans, including families on the way to the game until they met some resistance. 

Still no excuse for stabbings, something that I thought was long gone at football in the UK. 

It's the joys of the Europa league, where fans of  smaller clubs get a chance to "show their worth" in a foreign town / city. The Croats weren't allowed into the stadium until just before half time. 

1 hour ago, Mr Giggles said:

Blimey, a bit OTT. It's football, part of the fun is winding your rivals up. 

Seeing that kind of reaction makes it sort of worthwhile ?

Archived