The Rams Collection

Inverurie Ram

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apart from the statues and the photo-frames adorning internal PPS (the corporate corridors, that is - not the sporadic concourse images), I'm afraid the great DCFC heritage is now largely invisible to the general public.  The 'Collection' seems rather anonymous, moribund.

The current generation doesn't encounter or enjoy images and info of the glory days at the stadium, we're in danger of losing sight of it.

Treasures stashed in lock-ups, sporadic exposure for a few artifacts here and there - but no museum, gallery, fan interest integration. We're behind most clubs, sadly - but I know if a chunk of money was invested in heritage, many would scream for the loot to have been invested in the squad instead. 

Will Frankie's squad be history-makers, or just more also-rans?

C O Y R

28 minutes ago, Boycie said:

@loweman2 could fill this I bet.

3 hours ago, Woodypecker said:

Apart from the statues and the photo-frames adorning internal PPS (the corporate corridors, that is - not the sporadic concourse images), I'm afraid the great DCFC heritage is now largely invisible to the general public.  The 'Collection' seems rather anonymous, moribund.

The current generation doesn't encounter or enjoy images and info of the glory days at the stadium, we're in danger of losing sight of it.

Treasures stashed in lock-ups, sporadic exposure for a few artifacts here and there - but no museum, gallery, fan interest integration. We're behind most clubs, sadly - but I know if a chunk of money was invested in heritage, many would scream for the loot to have been invested in the squad instead. 

Will Frankie's squad be history-makers, or just more also-rans?

C O Y R

The Rams Collection is run by Andy Ellis, somebody who I have got to know really well over the years, he has worked tirelessly along with the other guys in trying to pull together what is left of the bygone era.

the problem is that the club in its present guise doesn't seem to care less about the past, instead of us having an area at the ground where things could be displayed it was decided that Rams TV should be given the priority as this was a revenue stream for the club, or a potential one rather than a drag on resources no matter how small that would be if the space was given up to history.

its is criminal what has been cast aside by the club or destroyed or allowed to fall into private collections, I obviously have a decent collection of stuff but it has cost me a lot of money to put together and its something that I would love to share with the rest of the Rams family.

when I visited the Arsenal stadium I was really impressed that they had built a separate museum next to the ground, players like Charlie George had been glad to donate their shirts and medals to go on show.

my main reason for putting my collection together is not for financial gain but to pass down to my son when he is old enough or when I am gone.

its not easy finding Derby County stuff from the 60s and 70s, its easy picking up shirts from the last ten years but start looking before then and it already gets difficult.

because we haven't won anything for years nothing has been worth saving so there is only the 70s stuff and a bit of 40s stuff knocking around from the FA cup.

some people don't give a hoot about it and it means nothing to them and that's fair enough but to some people it is important to look after our heritage and ensure that they get to find out more about the names Todd, McFarland, Boulton, Ohare. Gemmill, Durban, Hinton etc etc rather than just singing a song about them in twenty years time when they are all dead !

to late then !

16 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

There's a pic of me and Roy Mac holding the 1st Div Championship trophy on the wall in Pride Park.  Saw briefly when on a tour of the ground a few years ago.  Yes, guys the green velvet suit one lol ?

I always wondered where John Pertwee got his Dr Who look from ?

I agree with lowerman2 - and my point was that the club seems happy to let heritage slip away.

Andy Ellis & Co do a fine job I know, in curating DCFC memorabilia but it does go back to the planning stages of PPS itself, around 22 years ago, that a museum was mooted and closely described - but never delivered!

Greggs, Starbucks, gymnasia - all were bigger priorities in the scheme of things. 

The Baseball Bar & Grill had a nice touch of genuine heritage with the decor and it sported the original Baseball Hotel bar, but that's gone by the wayside yonks ago in favour of a different (bland) style of nosh-corner..

The fans that could help to donate items, and lend help, (like me, LOL) will no doubt take their memories with them and rare artifacts might never be enjoyed by newer generations of fans.

Over to you, Mel & Co,

Archived