Route 66

Sith Happens

Sith Happens

Has anyone done it? I really fancy it for my 50th birthday in a couple of years time.

What's best, through a tour operator with an itinerary or diy?

Fancy it in a convertible but read may be too hot and a normal car with ac best?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Has anyone done it? I really fancy it for my 50th birthday in a couple of years time.

Fancy it in a convertible but read may be too hot and a normal car with ac best?

Air con. A convertible would be too hot and sunny unless you went in April or October and then you have to think you would think you would go through different climate zones. You will have to like driving as you will several hours long stretches through naff all. Don't skimp on car size/quality as it will be your world for a couple of weeks.

I thought about it and found this guide

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/feb/28/us-road-trip-route-66

On balance I'm going to do the West Coast from Seattle to San Diego.

DIY would definitely be best. You can find loads of helpful stuff on the internet.  

Done both PCH (just the CA part) and 66.  I would recommend you do it DIY, stay in motels and look out of for booklets that give you discounts on diners and motels (hopefully they still exist).  Don't be afraid to stay in not so well known towns, and ask the locals for advice and guidance and things to go and see that aren't advertised internationally, you will be pleasently surprised.

Tour operator have their own agendas ad timetables, you could end up frustrated by having only a set amount of time, and no opportunity to wander off the beaten track. 

It technically doesn't exist anymore, however some states are rebrading parts of the road system State Route 66.  Plan when you are going to stay on the highway and when you are going to wander off. 

I would also go for an SUV, you need plenty of room, as you end up using it as a massive suitcase / changing room / bedroom / diner.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Rowett prefers Route 1 I’m told.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, richinspain said:

Rowett prefers Route 1 I’m told.

I'm not doing it in an old banger either.

On 17/06/2018 at 13:06, sage said:

Air con. A convertible would be too hot and sunny unless you went in April or October and then you have to think you would think you would go through different climate zones. You will have to like driving as you will several hours long stretches through naff all. Don't skimp on car size/quality as it will be your world for a couple of weeks.

I thought about it and found this guide

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/feb/28/us-road-trip-route-66

On balance I'm going to do the West Coast from Seattle to San Diego.

DIY would definitely be best. You can find loads of helpful stuff on the internet.  

And the IPAs will be awesome 

9 hours ago, Boycie said:

Anyone tried route 69?

Im thinking of heading down the highway.

Hopefully something will come my way?

yer never know.

Once you manage to get past first base Boycie, don't bite off more than you can chew...

Archived