World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Belgium and England, while looking great against weak teams... We just don't know how they'll fare up against a supposed stronger side like France or Brazil.

Same as we don't know how France or Brazil will fare against stronger sides either.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Same as we don't know how France or Brazil will fare against stronger sides either.

Exactly. The one thing I will say about Brazil is they looked head and shoulders above the rest from South America in qualifying. They really dominated. You'd fancy them to beat Argentina, Colombia or Uruguay if they ever meet.

European teams might be able to catch them cold though.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Exactly. The one thing I will say about Brazil is they looked head and shoulders above the rest from South America in qualifying. They really dominated. You'd fancy them to beat Argentina, Colombia or Uruguay if they ever meet.

European teams might be able to catch them cold though.

These South American sides seem to struggle against any kind of tempo though. They prefer to play more slow and methodical, I have a suspicion Brazil will get turned over by a stronger side. They have a weak underbelly, and whilst they have a lot of talent, Neymar has been relatively ineffective, and they've heavily relied on Coutinho. Can't wait to see a team properly press against Brazil.

Sith Happens
6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

But risk facing a decent Colombia side in the last 16?

3 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

True, but we'll know either way before we kick off won't we? Also, I think whilst tough, it would be winnable.

Ah well if we don't beat them, they are a good team to get through,  some stunning female columbia fans picked out by the cameras.?

16 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

True, but we'll know either way before we kick off won't we? Also, I think whilst tough, it would be winnable.

I think we have a big advantage playing last. The entire tournament is mapped out before us, and as we currently top the group, it's in our hands to finish 1st or 2nd.

It will make a bit of a mockery though if it's clear than 2nd place gets a favourable draw and both teams actually try and lose on purpose. Would be like the Asians at the Olympics in Badminton!

If Brazil win their group then there's no doubt that the top half of the draw is considerably stronger than the bottom half.

The winner of Eng/Bel would join the top half of the draw with a potential QF against Brazil.

The loser of Eng/Bel would have a potential QF against Sweden or Switzerland.

In this scenario we should play to lose, shouldn't we?

6 minutes ago, Carnero said:

If Brazil win their group then there's no doubt that the top half of the draw is considerably stronger than the bottom half.

The winner of Eng/Bel would join the top half of the draw with a potential QF against Brazil.

The loser of Eng/Bel would have a potential QF against Sweden or Switzerland.

In this scenario we should play to lose, shouldn't we?

Or at least play for a draw and get a couple of our reserve players booked...

Would be fairer to all if the draw were not all pre-mapped out before the tournament starts.

Put group winners in one pot.

Runners up in another pot.

Draw out the last 16 ties after the groups have all finished.

No danger of any team setting out not to win their final group game then.

6 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Would be fairer to all if the draw were not all pre-mapped out before the tournament starts.

Put group winners in one pot.

Runners up in another pot.

Draw out the last 16 ties after the groups have all finished.

No danger of any team setting out not to win their final group game then.

Was thinking this other day. Don't get why it has to be Group A v B and C v D etc.

34 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Was thinking this other day. Don't get why it has to be Group A v B and C v D etc.

Logistics and organisational concerns, possibly marketing and other concerns as well would be my guess.

Perhaps if there were a week between the draw and the matches it could be organised?

Archived