World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Without sounding like an idiot, is anyone concerned Frank being in Russia would delay our transfer plans? We seem to be the only team doing duck all bussiness

I'm not worried to be honest. Apparently Chelsea haven't done much/anything yet re transfers either.

19 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Iceland looked the better team up until the first goal.

The first goal at this tournament means so much. It really dictates how the game plays out, and certainly favours counterattacking teams. There have been a few occasions where a team has largely been second best, managed to grab the first goal and then go on to look so much better afterwards. Confidence also plays a big part too I guess.

I don't think anybody has come from behind to win a game yet have they?

Football can be a heart breaker is all i can say

13 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Without sounding like an idiot, is anyone concerned Frank being in Russia would delay our transfer plans? We seem to be the only team doing duck all bussiness

Recruitment is a very different beast to in the past, nowadays there’s whole teams working on it which the manager is only a part of. If nothings happening it’s nothing to do with frank being over there, he won’t be the one negotiating. This is clearly deliberate, and exactly as I expected, things will pick up next week or the one after imo.

13 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

If the "insiders" are to be believed, Vydra's exit is progressing. I would have expected that to have had to happen anyway.

Besides, the majority of deals are not affected by Lampards geographical location. He'll know who he wants in, at that point its just representatives.

We also know from Owen Bradley that he flew back to England last week, at least in part due to the fixture release - so I don't think he'll have trouble travelling if he's absolutely needed for something.

1 minute ago, Waffle said:

I screamed when I saw him

To be fair though you scream when you see anyone while not taking your meds.

8 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

We're not though are we.

Transfers in
0 - WBA, Villa, Boro, Derby, Ipswich, Leeds, Sheff Wed, QPR, Birmingham, Blackburn, Rotherham
1 - Swansea, Millwall, Brentford, Sheff Utd, Bristol City, Norwich, Hull
2 - Stoke, Preston, Wigan
3 - Forest, Reading
5 - Bolton

Transfers Out (Not including contract expired) 
0 - Derby, Ipswich, Sheff Wed, QPR, Hull, Blackburn
1 - Swansea, WBA, Boro, Preston, Millwall, Brentford, Bristol City, Forest, Reading, Bolton, Rotherham
2 - Stoke, Villa, Sheff Utd, Leeds, Birmingham
3 - Norwich, Wigan

1 minute ago, 86 points said:

WTF is Shaquiri doing at Stoke? Please tell me he won't be there this year. Tricky little ducker could win the league on his own.

#differentgravy

I'd be incredibly shocked if he's still at Stoke next season. 

Just now, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Don't understand how that's not a pen. VAR has got a lot right this tournament but it's still far too inconsistent.

A decision like that can't be overturned if play is resumed. 

They didnt play on, ignoring the foul; he gave a FK and they played on. Once that happens VAR can't do anything.

That's good old Felix's ego at work, not really a failing of VAR. Most refs at this world cup would have waited a few moments to see if he heard anything from VAR.

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

WTF is Shaquiri doing at Stoke? Please tell me he won't be there this year. Tricky little ducker could win the league on his own.

#differentgravy

Some Stokies get frustrated with him because when they are on the back foot Shaquiri can't be arsed. I don't think he's the dig deep type. 

Maybe more so for Switzerland due to national pride. 

Think he's always seen Stoke as a stepping stone.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

A decision like that can't be overturned if play is resumed. 

They didnt play on, ignoring the foul; he gave a FK and they played on. Once that happens VAR can't do anything.

That's good old Felix's ego at work, not really a failing of VAR. Most refs at this world cup would have waited a few moments to see if he heard anything from VAR.

Why's it any different to when South Korea were on the attack against Sweden? Seems daft.

2 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Why's it any different to when South Korea were on the attack against Sweden? Seems daft.

Because play was never halted. The claims were simply waved away and South Korea moved the ball up the pitch.

Once play has resumed from a stoppage, VAR cannot intervene. If play is not stopped, VAR can intervene. 

It might be silly, but that's just the wording of the rules. 

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Because play was never halted. The claims were simply waved away and South Korea moved the ball up the pitch.

Once play has resumed from a stoppage, VAR cannot intervene. If play is not stopped, VAR can intervene. 

It might be silly, but that's just the wording of the rules. 

Either way I stand by it being inconsistent because that rule is just dumb.

Shouldnt be a way to make it so clear pens can't be given when they're going out their way to give others.

Archived