World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

Just now, GadFly said:

I'd say it to your face. How about telling me WHY I'm wrong rather than resorting to attacking my character? 

U17 World Cup champs. U20 and u21 tournament winners, players that’ll be around for the next two world cups, an identity, no egos..... more fight, the way we now play is different... and with regards attacking your identity, I’ll row back a little..... but I’d still say you’ve gone looking for confrontation on here judging by your posts. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Alpha said:

If they're not that good then aren't Colombia and Sweden tough games?

Or are they miles better than those teams and then it makes no sense to slag them off

Sweden (who we beat) and Colombia (who we DREW with) are tough games for England in a way, but they're not tough relative to what you expect at that stage in a World Cup... Hell even look at the other side of this draw, France beat Argentina, Uraguay and Belgium to reach the final! 

Just now, McLovin said:

Modric is brilliant. I really think he should win the balon dor this year as he won the champions league with Real Madrid too. The Real Madrid fans are starting to put him in the same breath as Zidane(the best midfielder I’ve ever seen) That just says everything.

Modric is a fantastic player, but Zidane was a class above. 

Modric is masters

Zidane is a PhD. 

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

U17 World Cup champs. U20 and u21 tournament winners, players that’ll be around for the next two world cups, an identity, no egos..... more fight, the way we now play is different... and with regards attacking your identity, I’ll row back a little..... but I’d still say you’ve gone looking for confrontation on here judging by your posts. 

I'm hoping that Foden lad turns out to be as good as he looks.

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

If they're not that good then aren't Colombia and Sweden tough games?

Or are they miles better than those teams and then it makes no sense to slag them off

Sweden and Colombia aren't tough games. They're average international opposition. We beat a bunch of average teams to look better than we were.

Huge opportunity, we just weren't good enough and Croatia deserved it in the end. We have played 2 good sides this tournament and not looked superior in any of the games. On a plus will Hughes surely has a chance to break into this squad, we lack creativity and he could provide it. Disappointing end, I doubt a World Cup will open up like this again. Roll on the new season!!

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Pathetic. Kane didn't show up, Walker made stupid amounts of errors, was Alli or Lingard even there? We're world class bottlers, duck them all.

Fans make me laugh players lose a game and their bottlers, haha ?

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Argh it was so daft to try and play on the counter. Everyone back, defend, win the ball, hit Kane, flick on for runner. 

It's alright for 10 minutes but for 30-45mins you're surrendering midfield to 3 Croatians. Then because Croatian need to take risks the full backs leave Lovren and Vida to defend. Now Alli and Lingard are screwed. They go wide to help on the flanks and Modric and Rakitic are free within dangerous range. They stay in, like they did and Young and Trippier are pinned back with 2 coming at them each. 

It was worth it for a short time but we ran Lingard and Alli out the game. 

Ah well, all the best to them. Two superb wingers, 1 excellent full back, a great midfielder and then there's Modric. What a first touch he shows. Sets everything up for him

Thought exactly the same...what's impressed me about gareths team was that they have played proper football.....

But today we went a bit rowetty....oh bloody dear.

Just now, gazram80 said:

Modric is a fantastic player, but Zidane was a class above. 

Modric is masters

Zidane is a PhD. 

Yeah I agree. I loved Zidane man, his performance against Brazil in 2006 World Cup brought a tear to my eye at the time because I had a feeling it was an end of an era. He was on the same pitch as Ronaldinho, Kaka, Ronaldo, Adriano, Gilberto Silva, Roberto Carlos and stood out despite being at the end of his career.

PistoldPete2

Adding players like sessegnon, Maddison and co , when they are ready , to this England squad will only add some quality and variety. Think we will need more quality up front too as we are too reliant on Kane who was poor today.

good bunch of lads though and well done to England for reaching the world cup semis certainly beyond my expectation at the start of the tournament. This isn't the golden generation... Not yet anyway , but they got further than the so called golden ones with their golden bals. 

Just now, gazram80 said:

Fans make me laugh players lose a game and their bottlers, haha ?

They lost a pretty easy game. Henderson got dominated in the middle, Alli and Lingard did nothing. Not sure how it's bottling, wasting our best opportunity to a world cup final we've EVER had. That's a bottle job. 

PistoldPete2
Just now, Andicis said:

They lost a pretty easy game. Henderson got dominated in the middle, Alli and Lingard did nothing. Not sure how it's bottling, wasting our best opportunity to a world cup final we've EVER had. That's a bottle job. 

It wasn't bottling... They just weren't quite good enough .

2 minutes ago, GadFly said:

Sweden (who we beat) and Colombia (who we DREW with) are tough games for England in a way, but they're not tough relative to what you expect at that stage in a World Cup... Hell even look at the other side of this draw, France beat Argentina, Uraguay and Belgium to reach the final! 

Argentina aren't good. I don't even think Uruguay at that good. I thought we beat Colombia? Swear they're out. 

Spain got beat by Russia. So we have to assume that made the path to the final clear for England and that England would not be capable of pulling off an upset ourselves. 

The easy route was easy because good teams lost to poor teams and Germany were home before bedtime. 

South Korea put Germany out. But we must assume that England wouldn't be able to?

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

EVER really? , we have reached a world cup final before. 

With that analagy you should bottle it and sell it to like minded fans. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Alli and Lingard can't pressure 3 Croatian central midfielders and a full back each for an hour. 

Just now, PistoldPete2 said:

It wasn't bottling... They just weren't quite good enough .

The players on paper were easily good enough. That bottled it tonight. Kane, our one world class player, where was he? You could forget he was even on the pitch. He did zilch. Alli and Lingard were passengers, our best attacker of the first half, Sterling was taken off ahead of those two. We're so predictable.

8 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Won't be watching the second meaningless game of the tournament against Belgium as at a wedding on Saturday, so that's a plus.

Commiserations on England losing against a very tough Croatia and i understand the disappointment, but why not support your national team as they play for a bronze medal at the World Cup?  It's a medal of some worth, the third best team at the world stage.

Archived