Is the gap between the Premier League and Championship shrinking?

Mostyn6

On 06/05/2018 at 21:06, Bris Vegas said:

I think Brighton have looked really comfortable this season. Aside from that tonking against Liverpool, you’ve generally competed in every game.

Haven’t once thought Brighton would go down, and with wins away at West Ham and Swansea early doors it was obvious you had more about you than others down there.

Every year the 3 that go up are also helped out by teams dropping like stones and vastly underperforming.

Who honestly thought WBA, Stoke and Saints would struggle so badly?

By applying the same logic, it really isn’t against the realms of reality to see Leicester, Burnley and Palace drop next year. You’d think all three should be totally fine, but you would have thought that about those down there now.

I reckon Brighton could be top 10 next season. Equally, they could finish bottom! Really is a top 6 + Everton in nomans land + the rest who are relegation candidates

Keep predicting (or wishing) Burnley will go down? Like a broken clock, you will eventually be right.

I suppose we will fall at the first hurdle in the Europa Cup?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By applying the same logic, it really isn’t against the realms of reality to see Leicester, Burnley and Palace drop next year. You’d think all three should be totally fine, but you would have thought that about those down there now.

1 hour ago, Grantona said:

Keep predicting (or wishing) Burnley will go down? Like a broken clock, you will eventually be right.

Not sure where your getting this from .  The post states you have had a good season and you wouldn't expect Burnley to struggle as I read it .   

On the second point I'm not really bothered how you get on against Tromso or Spartak Plovdiv to be fair .  

20 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Not sure where your getting this from .  The post states you have had a good season and you wouldn't expect Burnley to struggle as I read it .   

On the second point I'm not really bothered how you get on against Tromso or Spartak Plovdiv to be fair .  

Really my post was directed at only one Rams fan - Bris Vegas.?

All last season he was saying how dreadful Burnley were and that we were certs to get relegated.....we didn't.

So he then said we'd struggle this season....we haven't.

I just hope he does NOT predict us to do well in Europe...because then we won't.

2 minutes ago, Grantona said:

Really my post was directed at only one Rams fan - Bris Vegas.?

All last season he was saying how dreadful Burnley were and that we were certs to get relegated.....we didn't.

So he then said we'd struggle this season....we haven't.

Take no notice of him - most on here don't.

Well done Burnley!

Wolves certainly aren't going to worry about a gap. They'll probably be the second highest spenders this summer behind Man City.

17 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Same Silva that was kept out of a decidedly average Milan side by a 19 year old Patrick Cutrone and Nikola Kalinic and has scored twice? If that's what £33 million gets you, Vydra must be worth at least £25 million.

I'm not suggesting they'll spend well.

They will just be buying Jorge Mendes' clients, and that is not an infallible pool of quality.

They will spend a lot though. 

I hope Wolves spend mega money and **** it up. I don't dislike the club, I enjoyed their football, but I certainly despise the way they've gone about their business.

Prem's full of hype and way too overblown. In many ways, I prefer being in the Championship, but without the ambition to go up what's the point?

If we do scrape through the play-offs, you're down to 19 home games, few on a Saturday at 3PM, and 5 or 6 of those games you know you've practically zero chance against the billionaires. A 13 game season for me to enjoy competitive football, maybe 4 or 5 of them at the time and day when I actually want to go and watch. Meh.

9 minutes ago, needles said:

I hope Wolves spend mega money and **** it up. I don't dislike the club, I enjoyed their football, but I certainly despise the way they've gone about their business.

Prem's full of hype and way too overblown. In many ways, I prefer being in the Championship, but without the ambition to go up what's the point?

If we do scrape through the play-offs, you're down to 19 home games, few on a Saturday at 3PM, and 5 or 6 of those games you know you've practically zero chance against the billionaires. A 13 game season for me to enjoy competitive football, maybe 4 or 5 of them at the time and day when I actually want to go and watch. Meh.

and now I can easily watch every Derby match, another reason to want to be in the prem gets taken off the list ?

34 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I was listening to Football Weekly podcast yesterday and one of the podders said that none of the teams that got promoted in to the top five tiers of English football this season have been relegated. Not sure how accurate that is but it is very impressive if true.

I don't know who got promoted into league two, but it looks to be true of all those promoted from league 2, league 1 and championship.

A pretty interesting stat. next year everyone who gets promoted will be relegated ? 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

I don't know who got promoted into league two, but it looks to be true of all those promoted from league 2, league 1 and championship.

A pretty interesting stat. next year everyone who gets promoted will be relegated ? 

Lincoln and Forest Green

On 10/05/2018 at 11:37, Grantona said:

Ignore it mate. He's just as negative about Derby. Your lot have had a great season by any measure and have improved year on year. I can't see them as relegation candidates at all for the little that's worth. In any case, the naysayers' opinions don't matter at all.

As for the Europa Cup, you just might give a few 'bigger clubs' (in their minds at least) a bit of an unpleasant surprise!

As the quality of the Prem teams increases it pushes talent further down to the Championship and beyond, so the quality gap has probably not changed that much. It really should be much greater given the disparity in wealth.

Despite what many people say, the quality of football in England has increased considerably since the establishment of the Premier League. If you don't believe me, then go and watch the highlights of any game from around 1992. Every game was like watching the current Cardiff team.

On 12/05/2018 at 09:32, 86 points said:

Ignore it mate. He's just as negative about Derby. Your lot have had a great season by any measure and have improved year on year. I can't see them as relegation candidates at all for the little that's worth. In any case, the naysayers' opinions don't matter at all.

As for the Europa Cup, you just might give a few 'bigger clubs' (in their minds at least) a bit of an unpleasant surprise!

He never said that, to be fair. 

He he said that theoretically it should be a surprise but anybody from 7th down are vulnerable to a bad season 

Archived