Local Elections 18

Mafiabob

Just thought I’d open up a place on the forum for the locals this week.

Was a Labour voter for anything up until last years general election. Shan’t be voting for them this time either.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could pick any number of idiots who say stuff out of any political party..... pretty sure you could find some Labour articles where someone said something a bit wrong.....

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

We could pick any number of idiots who say stuff out of any political party..... pretty sure you could find some Labour articles where someone said something a bit wrong.....

Whataboutisms. The antithesis to political debate.

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, Lambchop said:

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Exactly for every George Stoakley there is a Jared O'Mara and for every Matthew Clarke there is a David Walls.

There are no winners when you try and play this game.

10 minutes ago, eddie said:

I tend to ignore party politics as the primary consideration for the destination of my vote at local elections.

Sensible people do - unfortunately the local area is full people that only vote for the candidate wearing the correctly coloured rosette - whatever the potential outcome will have on the city....

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Exactly for every George Stoakley there is a Jared O'Mara and for every Matthew Clarke there is a David Walls.

There are no winners when you try and play this game.

Except that the prevailing media narrative is soooo skewed towards the establishment... so it’s worth trying to redress it slightly...

3 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Weirdly there still seems to be UKIP candidates in almost every Derby City ward. What is the point - except to split the tory vote? Maybe it's the Russians?

My ward has a UKIP councillor so they must carry a message that appeals round here....

17 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

My ward has a UKIP councillor so they must carry a message that appeals round here....

Weird though isn't it? We voted Brexit, so their raison d'etre no longer exists.

Unless it's come for the Brexit - stick around for the after-show racism?

54 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Weird though isn't it? We voted Brexit, so their raison d'etre no longer exists.

Unless it's come for the Brexit - stick around for the after-show racism?

Seeing as he switched from Labour to UKIP maybe he thought they were less racist.....?

On 30/04/2018 at 09:06, StivePesley said:

Weirdly there still seems to be UKIP candidates in almost every Derby City ward. What is the point - except to split the tory vote? Maybe it's the Russians?

I think we have 2 UKIP councillors in Derby and if truth be told, if it came to a choice of voting for Banwait or one of his cronies or a UKIP candidate, I'd go for UKIP.

4 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I think we have 2 UKIP councillors in Derby and if truth be told, if it came to a choice of voting for Banwait or one of his cronies or a UKIP candidate, I'd go for UKIP.

The online anti-Banwait army are certainly doing a job aren't they? I've lived in Derby all my life and I've never heard anything like the abuse he gets as council leader. What's weird is that I struggle to find any meaningful information about what he's supposed to have done wrong.

My Labour councillor is excellent, so I'm not sure why I'd let personal dislike of one guy make me vote against her

43 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

The online anti-Banwait army are certainly doing a job aren't they? I've lived in Derby all my life and I've never heard anything like the abuse he gets as council leader. What's weird is that I struggle to find any meaningful information about what he's supposed to have done wrong.

My Labour councillor is excellent, so I'm not sure why I'd let personal dislike of one guy make me vote against her

So you really don't think Derby has gone down hill rapidly since he became leader of the council?

The bloke does a 3 day week so he can fit his work with the bank in and drags around £30,000 plus expenses a year and in my opinion Derby has suffered because of him and his people.

We have libraries that are being handed over to volunteers to run, the roads around the city have never been so poor and as well as wasting money on those rings on what used to be the spot, we have a waterfall that isn't allowed to be switched on with steps up to the top of it that aren't allowed to be climbed and all the public toilets have been closed. 

The only public swimming pool is only partially open due to the state of the building, the Assembly rooms are still closed even though it was only partially damaged by the fire and we still have the eyesores that are Duckworth squre and the Hippodrome on Green lane.

My wife used to work at a school and worked with deaf and disabled children and was told that she would have to take a 25% pay cut by the council because anybody could do the job she was doing and the special skills such as sign language were not needed anymore!

All of this from a "Labour" council who are supposed to be there for the ordinary working class people of the city.

I have voted Labour all of my life and if they were to go back to representing the people they were originally formed to represent, would do so again.

19 minutes ago, ossieram said:

So you really don't think Derby has gone down hill rapidly since he became leader of the council?

I think every city I have visited in the past 5 years has gone downhill. To blame one city on one guy seems a bit short-sighted.

These are the real effects of austerity - this year alone the central government funding has been cut by £10million pounds. And a further cut of £18m over the next three years. All councils are having to make choices about what is a luxury and what is a necessity.

You mention Swimming Pools, Venues, Fountains & Libraries - if course I'd rather these stayed open, but at what cost?

Oh and of course you mention the rings - which was funded by ring-fenced arts grants. I guess we could have just not bothered and turned the money down.

The other parties in Derby are unsurprisingly promising the earth - and you have to hope that they have a magic money tree eh?

I'm interested to know what incentive you think the man has to deliberately run the city into the ground? Why would you reach the pinnacle of your career in local government and think "I know, I'll just make the city as rubbish as I possibly can"?

As I say - my local Labour councillor is excellent and certainly does represent me and my neighbours. What more could I ask for - other than an end to auterity and fair funding from central government?

32 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I think every city I have visited in the past 5 years has gone downhill. To blame one city on one guy seems a bit short-sighted.

These are the real effects of austerity - this year alone the central government funding has been cut by £10million pounds. And a further cut of £18m over the next three years. All councils are having to make choices about what is a luxury and what is a necessity.

You mention Swimming Pools, Venues, Fountains & Libraries - if course I'd rather these stayed open, but at what cost?

Oh and of course you mention the rings - which was funded by ring-fenced arts grants. I guess we could have just not bothered and turned the money down.

The other parties in Derby are unsurprisingly promising the earth - and you have to hope that they have a magic money tree eh?

I'm interested to know what incentive you think the man has to deliberately run the city into the ground? Why would you reach the pinnacle of your career in local government and think "I know, I'll just make the city as rubbish as I possibly can"?

As I say - my local Labour councillor is excellent and certainly does represent me and my neighbours. What more could I ask for - other than an end to auterity and fair funding from central government?

UK National debt has increased, cant these civil servants use a bit less stationary? Trigger used the same brush for twenty years when he worked for the council, it's all about being more efficient.

32 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

UK National debt has increased, cant these civil servants use a bit less stationary? Trigger used the same brush for twenty years when he worked for the council, it's all about being more efficient.

It’s worse than that. Trigger now does a 3 day week and shares his brush with neighbouring lewisham? 

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

It isn't incentive. It's incompetence. 

Mel Morris has Derby and the football team at heart. It doesn't mean he is any good at getting his football club promoted.

Archived