Local Elections 18

Mafiabob

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

I think you're spot on. No way Alan Graves would win that vote share if he was some kind of blatant racist. From what I've heard he is a decent guy who cares for his electorate. It's just a shame that he has persisted with UKIP as a party. He could have done just the same standing as an independent and then avoided all the "baggage" that comes with UKIP. There was no need, and it sounds like the party is on the brink of bankruptcy anyway - so he may end up independent anyway

It's local politics - your chance to vote for an ordinary person that makes a difference at grass roots level.

Goes back to what @Joe. said back on Page 4 - in Wales, they have a huge amount of independents that stand and win seats. It would be nice to see more of that in English local politics. People seem pretty sick of "party politics"

This is exactly the sort of situation I was confused about, if he's already popular surely standing as an independent still gives off the same message ? I suppose ukip give him finding though

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

My ward mate is Alvaston, not had a knock on the door from anyone..... just leaflets. Alan Graves has been around here for years..... and was once a labour councillor until he left them about 10 years ago, popular bloke round here. 

3 hours ago, ossieram said:

I love all this slating of UKIP and the remarks about racism. How many of you have met Alan Graves? He is probably the hardest working councillor in Derby and got voted back in because of the way he works for and helps the people of Alvaston no matter what their race. When bin collections are cancelled over Xmas, he organised and helped with rubbish collections in his area for those that needed it, did your councillor do stuff like that?

Fair enough. 

I did, in fairness, specify that it was just what I'd heard around. I wouldn't have said anything on here if there was no chance someone better informed might offer some input.

He sounds like a good egg, I retract my disappointment. 

I think the problem with standing as an independent is the lack of support - with UKIP behind him he would have financial backing, could get more publicity and could call on an army of people to help him get his message across - I read some comments from someone standing as an independent in the run up to the election - they were saying what an incredibly difficult job it was without the party machine to help them....

3 hours ago, Gaspode said:

I think the problem with standing as an independent is the lack of support - with UKIP behind him he would have financial backing, could get more publicity and could call on an army of people to help him get his message across - I read some comments from someone standing as an independent in the run up to the election - they were saying what an incredibly difficult job it was without the party machine to help them....

Yeah but if he's Popular already does it matter? I can't believe that using ukip to get your point across is the only way, unless your point is brexit or anti immigration (or racism if that's how some interpret it), as ukip's aims have little/nothing to do with local elections. 

Plenty of independents here, making the point of why they left the party they were associated with before makes more of an impact than banging in a few posts with their name on the signs imo

13 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Fair enough. 

I did, in fairness, specify that it was just what I'd heard around. I wouldn't have said anything on here if there was no chance someone better informed might offer some input.

He sounds like a good egg, I retract my disappointment. 

First rule of social media is never admit you’re wrong, shows a sign of weakness. Stand by what you said.....or say your little brother was using your phone.

7 minutes ago, David said:

First rule of social media is never admit you’re wrong, shows a sign of weakness. Stand by what you said.....or say your little brother was using your phone.

You must leave your phone lying around most days?

Archived