New boilers and things

jono

Fed up with our useless Boiler. The single most unreliable piece of domestic kit I have ever had. 

Can anyone recommend a decent trustworthy heating company that could supply and fit a new one ? 

Violent Ritual sacrifice and destruction of the old one is not necessary .... but it would give me some sense of closure after 8 years of continual breakdowns.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jono said:

Fed up with our useless Boiler. The single most unreliable piece of domestic kit I have ever had. 

Can anyone recommend a decent trustworthy heating company that could supply and fit a new one ? 

Violent Ritual sacrifice and destruction of the old one is not necessary .... but it would give me some sense of closure after 8 years of continual breakdowns.

I found an approved installer via the WorcesterBosch website. Boiler fitted and old one taken away for £1500 and comes with an 8 yr manufacturer warranty.

13 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I found an approved installer via the WorcesterBosch website. Boiler fitted and old one taken away for £1500 and comes with an 8 yr manufacturer warranty.

Thanks Rev. I am glad you mention WB. That is probably what we'll end up with. :thumbsup:

We have an ideal logic combi that was fitted new .. 4 heat exchangers, an expansion vessel, a pump, a diaphragm, a mother board. ... Never had more than 6 months without needing a repair man, warranty or otherwise. Ended up lifting a floor and having pro leak detectors in because they swore their boiler wasn't leaking. It was ! On top of the purchase price I reckon it has cost 250 quid per year to maintain for the last 8 years .... and that doesn't include warranty claims. 

59 minutes ago, jono said:

Really ? 

@Boycie if you want to quote me drop me a message. 

I don’t do gas mate, but WB are good if not expensive.  £1500 for a rip out and supply is amazing if that’s true, snap their hand off.

Theres a lot of boilers with big warranties out there at the mo. I’ve just had a Baxi Ecoblue fitted that has a 10year warranty but the boiler must be serviced regular and other stipulations met.

Ideal used to be a nightmare with mother boards in my experience but I’ve seen Screwfix pushing Ideal now and they have some seriously long warranties too.

I used to have a glowworm swift flow that was the biggest pile of poo around, made just down the road too. But now Glowworm have been taken over by Vailiant they’re good boilers again.  Viessman are supposed to be the dog nads too.

My boiler packed up recently and I also ended up having to have a whole new gas supply put to the house from the street as it had corroded and reduced the working pressure. So I feel your pain when it comes to boiler butt hurt. ?

Modern boilers are **** ,I had an old Potterton which I kept going by replacing gas valves etc ,I extended my house and thought it wouldn't cope ,it did. 

When I eventually replaced it with a "more efficient " boiler it didn't cycle and used far more gas, it was also a lot more temperamental .Any slight problem with new boiler, air locks etc and they just don't run .

The thing I’ve noticed about mine is that the hot water max output temp is 60deg.

Basically it’s warm enough just to fill a bath and get straight in without having to mix cold.

I used to wind me up when one of our lot used to fill a bath up with red hot water and then cool it down before getting in.

Less gas, and less water. A winner if you’re on a water meter I guess too. (I’m not, but you’d thought I was by the state of our cars on the drive?)

24 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Bargain! 

You did get a new boiler didn’t you? You sure they didn’t just T Cut the old one, and write Worcestershire Boiler on it with sharpie?

?

Yes I'm sure. The previous one was £450 from B&Q, my old man fitted it before the days of Gas Safe.

Ravenheat was the Make, same size as a small car. 

Every six months or so the diaphragm would split, I'd get a new one, take the valve apart and replace it!

When the carbon monoxide spot went dark ended up replacing it.

The same firm did my mother in laws too, just as competitive a price as well.

The £1500 included a new valve on a towel rail, which started leaking when he pressurised the new Boiler, and a remote controller/thermostat too.

I suppose it depends what needs doing. I had a new Baxi boiler a few years back. I had to have a new gas supply to the new boiler have my old cylinder taken out and change from a header tank to a direct pressure from the main. Mine cost about £2500 I changed a few radiators too. After seeing RD's invoice I feel a bit ripped off although isn't Hyson Green in Sherwood so it's probably nicked off a building site.

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

The thing I’ve noticed about mine is that the hot water max output temp is 60deg.

Basically it’s warm enough just to fill a bath and get straight in without having to mix cold.

I used to wind me up when one of our lot used to fill a bath up with red hot water and then cool it down before getting in.

Less gas, and less water. A winner if you’re on a water meter I guess too. (I’m not, but you’d thought I was by the state of our cars on the drive?)

I thought that the 60 degree hot water wasn't enough but I have turned it down to about 50 - 55 degs and the heating is about 68 - 70 degs but don't tell the missus she thinks it's maxed out. She's a bit nesh.

13 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I suppose it depends what needs doing. I had a new Baxi boiler a few years back. I had to have a new gas supply to the new boiler have my old cylinder taken out and change from a header tank to a direct pressure from the main. Mine cost about £2500 I changed a few radiators too. After seeing RD's invoice I feel a bit ripped off although isn't Hyson Green in Sherwood so it's probably nicked off a building site.

Cheeky fecker. 

It was just a straight swop, we'd already had the gas line upgraded to the larger size earlier. 

7 hours ago, jono said:

Go to Vince.

http://www.ambervalley.info/articleview.asp?iid=vincentmellor

can't go wrong.

Archived