Free Agents

DCFC1388

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, irobinson said:

Why is he a free agent?

Fell out with the coach.

Last season he was named player-of-the-year after a remarkable campaign, scoring 14 goals from midfield. In the home game against Scunthorpe he netted a hat-trick of penalties in just nine minutes, a feat Gills fans are unlikely to see again.

An expected move away from Gills in the summer never materialised but after a public spat between the player and manager over the weekend, the two parties have agreed to go their separate ways.

“He is going to tear up his contract and we’ll move on,” said head coach Pennock.

“I would like to wish him all the best.”

Wright took to twitter on Saturday night after he was accused of refusing to sit on the bench in Gills’ League 1 game against Southend, insisting that wasn’t the case.

He was responding to a comment made by Pennock in the post-match press conference, saying that Wright was unhappy at being named as a substitute.

Pennock then took the decision to leave him out altogether, as the player’s ‘head wasn’t right’.

Wright will now be a free agent, after agreeing a severance deal with the Gills, meaning he can pick his next destination. Last season his form had led to speculation that he could be targeted by Championship teams, but nothing has materialised.

He has already been linked with a number of clubs, including Gills' League 1 rivals Southend United - who they beat on Tuesday night.

45 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yes but was in talks with Southend...

Sweet Jesus he really really wants to join them - I think this constitutes begging...

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/15521244.Wright__would_love__to_make_Shrimpers_switch/

“I’ll tell it how it is and I would love to pull on that Southend shirt,” said the 27-year-old.

“I’ve always enjoyed the games I’ve played against Southend, they have a great fanbase and there’s always a good atmosphere both home and away so I would be delighted to join and I hope it can happen.

“I live in Chigwell, so it’s close to home and all my family live in Essex so it would be a great move from that point of view as well.

“I’m still waiting for an offer and I understand that clubs may have spent their budgets come this stage of the season so I’m not sure what will happen.

“But I would be delighted to sign and, please God, it could even happen before the Charlton game at the weekend.”

Wright is available on a free transfer after leaving the Gills at the end of August.

And he was impressed by what Blues boss Brown had to say during their hour long talk at the training ground.

“It went really well when I spoke to the manager and it couldn’t really have gone any better,” said Wright.

“I think it’s always best for the player and manager to speak face to face and we had a good chat about everything.

“I went away feeling really good and I think Southend are a great club, who I would be very happy to join.”

Wright scored 14 goals for the Gills last season and would boost an injury-hit Shrimpers squad, who have failed to win in their last six matches.

An online Echosport poll also revealed Blues fans were keen for the club to complete a deal with 89 per cent of supporters wanting Wright to join.

13 hours ago, rcarso1 said:

I don't think we're that desperate that a player that's a free agent only has Southend interested in signing him! Hardly a glowing endorsement of his ability to perform at out level!?

3 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

That goal was 7 years ago, anicent history in football.

Any slightly more constructive comments to make?

do we need another midfielder?

any other ideas?

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Any slightly more constructive comments to make?

do we need another midfielder?

any other ideas?

Constructive? I'm sure we sometimes do that... Okay I'll have a crack...

Huddlestone and Johnson looked decent against Hull - Johnson had one of his stormers - If they can show the same kind of spirit and willingness in the games this week we may be at a turning point

Hanson has a number of Championship level games under his belt - Some of which he played pretty well - If a player looks capable/good in one off games then in theory we should be able to coach some consistency into him

Thorne might be back soon

All of those mean we don't need another CM player - Especially one who's level seems to be league one

10 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Constructive? I'm sure we sometimes do that... Okay I'll have a crack...

Huddlestone and Johnson looked decent against Hull - Johnson had one of his stormers - If they can show the same kind of spirit and willingness in the games this week we may be at a turning point

Hanson has a number of Championship level games under his belt - Some of which he played pretty well - If a player looks capable/good in one off games then in theory we should be able to coach some consistency into him

Thorne might be back soon

All of those mean we don't need another CM player - Especially one who's level seems to be league one

Wrong 

Two players for every position.

GK: Carson, Mitchell

LB: Olsson, Forsyth

CB1: Keogh, Pearce

CB2: Davies, Shackell

RB: Wisdom, Baird

CM1: Huddlestone, Thorne

CM2: Johnson, Hanson

WM1: Lawrence, Russell

WM2: Weimann, Bennett

CF1: Vydra, Martin

CF2: Nugent, Winnall

You can definitely make an argument our squad is fine and that there are two good Championship standard teams there. I do think, though, that if you list out our second team Bennett and Hanson stand out. Perhaps Bennett has shown enough in training to convince Rowett that he's good enough to be a first choice backup - and the fact we didn't bid for another winger would back that up - but in trying to sign Kieftenbeld I reckon Rowett is admitting that Hanson isn't good enough or isn't ready. I think he's been really poor in his last few showings and I don't think he's ready (or good enough in my opinion) should Johnson get injured.

2 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Two players for every position.

GK: Carson, Mitchell

LB: Olsson, Forsyth

CB1: Keogh, Pearce

CB2: Davies, Shackell

RB: Wisdom, Baird

CM1: Huddlestone, Thorne

CM2: Johnson, Hanson

WM1: Lawrence, Russell

WM2: Weimann, Bennett

CF1: Vydra, Martin

CF2: Nugent, Winnall

You can definitely make an argument our squad is fine and that there are two good Championship standard teams there. I do think, though, that if you list out our second team Bennett and Hanson stand out. Perhaps Bennett has shown enough in training to convince Rowett that he's good enough to be a first choice backup - and the fact we didn't bid for another winger would back that up - but in trying to sign Kieftenbeld I reckon Rowett is admitting that Hanson isn't good enough or isn't ready. I think he's been really poor in his last few showings and I don't think he's ready (or good enough in my opinion) should Johnson get injured.

Why include unfit players .

Thorne not ready yet and Hanson injured for we don't know how long  

Archived