Chris Martin

Richard246

14 minutes ago, eddie said:

It's a Brexit-Remain thing all over again. No fence-sitters, and certainly no crossing over to the other side.

Ahh I see. So what you mean is no one actually knows which option will be better for us, and those championing each option talk utter rubbish and resort to outright lies in order for people to agree with them. Maybe we will be promised one of the options will automatically mean an extra 40 goals a season...totally unfounded of course. 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chrissie Martin really really needs a goal. He was so composed with his finishing in pre-season, but it hasn't happned for him yet when on the pitch. I saw the brief highlights against Barnsley and it was notable how he was involved with some brilliant passing to play people in, but also how deep he was. For instance, when Mason bagged his goal it was (forgotten man) Anya who burst through to play the cross, Johnny Russell in the middle of the six yard area who slid in but just failed to make contact and Bennett at the back post to bundle it home. Martin was nowhere to be seen even though it was the typical centre-forward opportunity.

It's brilliant that Martin offers what he does in terms of hold-up play and setting other players up as they make runs beyond him (eg Russell's goal against Barnsley) but he needs to get back into the habit of scoring. Hope it happens for him soon.

My problem with Chris is that l don't really like him, even when he was banging in 20 goals a season. It is clearly a harsh stance to take as l have never met him, and l suspect he is a really nice guy. Even though he is 'one of us', it is his onfield persona that grates with me. A good Championship striker, but l fear only really useful if the team is set-up to play totally to his strengths.  Perhaps telling that Winnall was the first forward substitute against Hull. I wish him well, and will cheer him on when l can be arsed to go and watch a game live, but sorry he doesn't really do it for me.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Ahh I see. So what you mean is no one actually knows which option will be better for us, and those championing each option talk utter rubbish and resort to outright lies in order for people to agree with them. Maybe we will be promised one of the options will automatically mean an extra 40 goals a season...totally unfounded of course. 

Won't believe it until it is written on the side of the team bus.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

If Nugent gets injured then of course Martin comes in, but if GR drops Nugent for no reason I'll be up in arms! Just like I'd be up in arms if Martin was in the team playing well and was just dropped. If martin was in the team playing well and people were claiming that GR shouldn't wait till he loses form before removing him from the team, you Martin fans would be absolutely hammering them, so why is the same respect not honoured to Nugent?!

Im not in any way a Martin hater, I'm pretty indifferent between him and Nugent as both have proven to be top class strikers at this level, but I'm trying to add a bit of balance to this affair as both criticism and praise of Martin are grossly exaggerated imo. Nugent has been better this year and deserves his place, but if martin comes back in because nuge loses form then I'll be fine with that and support him staying in the team until he too loses form. 

Ah, you mean like Leeds Away when we lost all momentum and the wheels came off? 

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

No.

I mean that I am right, always have been right and so are you - if you agree with me. The other lot are dingbats.

;)

Archived