A look into the Bald Eagle's genius of playing 3 at the back

thederbyram

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those first three seasons he was in charge were brilliant.  Well, not up until November in the first I guess, but after we switched Igor to a sweeper, we flew.  Still the best time I've had being a Ram.  You youngsters harp on about Schteve's first season back, but The Bald Eagle's teams were better.  

I'd sell my son, if it meant we could have a player like Ace, Biano, or Eraino now.  Christ I'd do the same for a Lars Bohinan at the moment!!!

At the beginning of the promotion season under smith i remember we played spurs and leeds at bbg in pre season using the 3-5-2 formation and it worked really well, i cant remember the scores but i dont think we lost and this was with rowett in the team. Then we started the season with 442 and struggled, then he brought in igor and after the tranmere game we played wba at home using the 352 system and it worked like a dream, i think we beat them 3-0 and never looked back gaining automatic promotion. Im sursprised non of the recent managers have not tried this system, i think we have the players to make it work.

14 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

At the beginning of the promotion season under smith i remember we played spurs and leeds at bbg in pre season using the 3-5-2 formation and it worked really well, i cant remember the scores but i dont think we lost and this was with rowett in the team. Then we started the season with 442 and struggled, then he brought in igor and after the tranmere game we played wba at home using the 352 system and it worked like a dream, i think we beat them 3-0 and never looked back gaining automatic promotion. Im sursprised non of the recent managers have not tried this system, i think we have the players to make it work.

Think we'd struggle at wing back, especially right side.  Also, there's nobody like Darryl Powell to boss the midfield.  Yes he was a limited footballer (like Viera, but without the grace, or skill), but he covered a lot of ground and broke up a lot of the opposition's play.  Can't see anyone clever enough to play that Willems roll behind the front to either...

-----------------------------Carson

-----------------------------Davis

-----------------Keogh-------------Wisdom

Anya--------------------------------------------------Forsyth

-----------------Huddlestone---Johnson

-----------------------------Vydra

------------------Nugent----------Martin

No denying under BE we played some good stuff.......but Man Utd dominated the premiership under Fergie for 20 years playing 4-4-2

Doesnt  mean it works for every team, perhaps using the players to play your best system is the answer - or if a manager is stuck in a way of playing system, change the complete team until you have players capable of playing your choosen system?

I thought GR was going to look at different systems each game and change systems to suit the opposition?

1 minute ago, hiltonram said:

Now that we have spent millions on lawrence and he is apparently a winger this system is not likely to see the light of day for the foreseeable future.

I can play the No 10 roll, so I'm preying we switch to 4-2-3-1 and sack Butterfield to the bench.  Admittedly we'd still have Russell & Weimann on the pitch, but it'd be a start...

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Those first three seasons he was in charge were brilliant.  Well, not up until November in the first I guess, but after we switched Igor to a sweeper, we flew.  Still the best time I've had being a Ram.  You youngsters harp on about Schteve's first season back, but The Bald Eagle's teams were better.  

I'd sell my son, if it meant we could have a player like Ace, Biano, or Eraino now.  Christ I'd do the same for a Lars Bohinan at the moment!!!

Good player Lars but not worth your son Ramsbottom.  Eranio though.........

I often look back to try and determine where it went wrong .We took a couple of tabbings I recall Leeds and Leicester and we tried to go defensive .

Sold Chris Powell which was a disaster ,I watched a video of the previous season and he was involved in a lot of our goals .Not sure who was to blame for the change TBE or SM but eventually SM went to Man U and it gradually went tits up.

7 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

I often look back to try and determine where it went wrong .We took a couple of tabbings I recall Leeds and Leicester and we tried to go defensive .

Sold Chris Powell which was a disaster ,I watched a video of the previous season and he was involved in a lot of our goals .Not sure who was to blame for the change TBE or SM but eventually SM went to Man U and it gradually went tits up.

The rot started when Schteve went to Man U, and was compounded by TBE loosing his eye for a player.  Things went rapidly down hill when we started bringing in the likes of crap Bragstad, Beck and big earners like Burley.  Although to be fair, he still unearthed Christie & Delap...

1 hour ago, hiltonram said:

I actually don't think we have had the players to make it work until this season. As Jim says in the article you need centre backs comfortable drifting out wide to cover the wing back and other keogh (perhaps Baird as well) we really havent  had the players capable to do those roles well.  

Right now though I think Wisdom, keogh and davies would be a perfect back three. All three are athletic. Keogh would be perfect as a sweeper, whilst Wisdom and davies would be comfortable drifting wide.

1 hour ago, hiltonram said:

Yeah, me and my sister went together to that Leeds game and I remember us rushing home to tell my Dad that we were awesome and could well get promoted! Needless to say he didn't believe us and even less so when he saw us against Port Vale first game of the league season :lol:

As an aside, I'm pretty sure Jim initially bought Deadly Darryl to play as the left centre back (mostly played up front for Pompey) but he switched him into midfield come the first league game.

Archived