Safe Standing

therams69

Afternoon all

Just thought I would give an update on the above for those that havent seen the latest news...

Shrewsbury are going for it full bolt!

Have a read here...

https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/2017/august/the-stfc-safe-standing-crowdfunding-campaign-is-live/

The idea behind it all is that fans from all clubs donate to the pot to fund it. Various methods of donation gets you anything from a certificate to your name on a rail seat.

I dontated £15 over the weekend and following a post on facebook an exiled Rams fan following FC Toronto in Canada donated £75!

I have managed to get our club to donate a few things such as a signed shirt, match tickets etc and these will be up for sale in a raffle to raise funds as well... When it becomes live I will update this thread so if you prefer the chance to win something for your donation then perhaps best to wait.

So if you are a backer of safe standing help Shrewsbury as this would be a massive step in the right direction.

In terms of DCFC, they still fully back the safe standing campaign.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it legal to just install a safe standing area in this country at the moment?

Or do they overcome it because they arent in the top 2 divisions?

Edit: Kinda just found the answer to my own question on the crowdfunding campaign FAQ

I think it is 1.5 spaces in safe standing to 1 space in normal seating.

I would assume if Derby did it, they would trial it in the South Stand. I think there's around 4000 seats in there so if I've got the ratio right, it would increase the South Stand to 6000 and the overall capacity to 35,500

It's time it was introduced ,, got to be safer than most grounds now where fans refuse to sit down anyway ,,, by the calculations done in earlier post we could do the north stand , south stand and lower tier of east stand and have a state of the art 40 thousand capacity stadium for when we go up ,,,, happy days

21 hours ago, hiltonram said:

If say Derby did rail seating around the bottom tier of the horse show, does anyone know how many extra this would add to the capacity?

One thing we have to consider is if we install rail seats in say the bottom half of the South Stand it will increase our capacity.

If this increases by say 1500 we would have to increase the capacity of the away section re allowances. Perhaps by putting safe standing in there.

1 hour ago, sage said:

One thing we have to consider is if we install rail seats in say the bottom half of the South Stand it will increase our capacity.

If this increases by say 1500 we would have to increase the capacity of the away section re allowances. Perhaps by putting safe standing in there.

How do Forest get away with giving us a miserly amount then?

Just to answer a few good points...

All football fans are being asked to crowdfund a lower league club's campaign to introduce safe standing into England. I also guess by doing this it publically gets the word out nationally which is what it's all about. There is no better community than the footballing world.

In terms of the stadium capacity increased. I very much doubt at the initial point that it would be setup on the 1.5 ratio rate. Celtic are trialling 1 to 1 and I think for the go ahead to be given in England it would be 1.1.

In terms of location I would suspect Derby would liaise with supporters but my gut feeling is that the South Stand upper would be chosen and the far upper blocks closest to the South West. In theory and in an ideal world I would love the entire south stand upper to be safe standing which would be around 3k I think. I think long term wise this would be the plan and maybe the entire South Stand but for now when give ahead is given it will be minimal. Not out of demand but out of trialling.

I dont think the lower East would be suitable purely because they wont want to move fans that sit down and the club are not going to do that. I think we also have to remember its about making the stadium safe. Fans stands in large numbers in the South so this have to be the area for me.

This really is a matter of time now. Exciting times. It's about time that fans were given a choice at football whether to sit or stand as well as making it safe.

I'm not being funny, but what point is all the expense for 1:1 ratio. Everyone stands anyway. 

Waste of money, it has to be beneficial to the club surely? Increased capacity would make it worth while, concourse sales too etc.

I think 1:1 is only viable if they can go higher at an agreed point in the future.

I think stadium expansion is unlikely. I couldn't see it happening until we were an established Premier League for 5 years or so. Then at that point, will we still be seeing the increased attendances that come with promotion?

Then what happens if we're relegated? I'd hate for us to end up like Leeds or Cardiff with an upper tier that's closed off due to lack of demand.

I'm also not sure how easy it would be to add another tier at the South and North stands. North Stand has a road right outside, and the South now has a City Council owned car park.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I think an expansion is unlikely unless something major changes in terms of club stature.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

I'm not being funny, but what point is all the expense for 1:1 ratio. Everyone stands anyway. 

Waste of money, it has to be beneficial to the club surely? Increased capacity would make it worth while, concourse sales too etc.

I think 1:1 is only viable if they can go higher at an agreed point in the future.

Don't worry about being funny Boycie, all questions are good questions... Well some are ;-

Okay so first point. You are missing the point here. It is illegal to stand at an all seater stadium whether fans stand or not. Thats the fact and that is not going to go away hence why alll the top 2 divisions have seats due to the law. Additionally and critically it is not safe to stand in its current format. Stands are not designed for fans to stand in them. The only reason fans are tolerated to stand is because its unpracticable and simply not possible to make everyone sit down. I am sure we have all been in mad celebrations over the years and the domino affect can cause injury and at some point in my opinion will cause serious injury. Let's hope we dont have to wait until something like this happens before the authorities act.

Second point. You say it's a waste of money but are you putting a price on supporter safety? Secondly. Fans want to stand as we both know. The only way to do this is to incorporate a standing area which will of course cost money but this has to be done to make it happen. In a poll done by the FSF and a local Derby one I did a few years ago many fans actually said they would come back to football if they were allowed to stand. You also then have to consider the fans that dont want to stand at football but choose to sit. What about them? Away games for example. We all stand practically. Is that fair on a family with kids or elderely couple? Should they not get a choice as currently they don't.

I think long term gain answers the waste of money point. Ever seen a german safe standing area empty? Please dont prove me wrong on this! But what better way to keep the young uns (13 - 17 ) who may drift away from football when they stop going with parents than to keep them by being attracted to an area they can stand with there mates and have a really good time. It would improve the atmosphere because its somethting new and different to the English fan. Again, look at Germany and the atmospheres there and even as close as Celtic. Not a fan of them at all, but look at the corner they have.

The main thing is to first get safe standing in England. Things like 1.5 ratio are years away at the minute. We are so behind the times that we are an actual joke of a country when it comes to football. The German supporter liaison officers who I spoke to in Hannover cannot actually believe it how we have things run over here.

I accept your safety concerns, but with today's health and safety red tape I can't believe they tolerate people standing up all match anyway.

If the safety of the fans is a factor then the authorities must MAKE clubs that have areas where fans are known to stand into safe standing areas.

As for having a choice, you mention the elderly or young not able able to stand or even see past people stood. How do they have a choice?  They could have a section in the away area at the front that is seated. But some may not want to sit low down.

So the answer maybe to have away ends all seater still. But the majority will all stand away, and we are back to square one with the safety aspect.

This leaves home areas only being possibly made safe standing, then you get a choice wether you use it or not.  But as far as I can see this is a contradiction in improving supporter safety in the home area, whilst the away fans will be standing as they are now.

Who said life is easy, I can see why it's taken soooooo long for anything to happen. ?

3 hours ago, Boycie said:

I accept your safety concerns, but with today's health and safety red tape I can't believe they tolerate people standing up all match anyway. Impossible to inforce

If the safety of the fans is a factor then the authorities must MAKE clubs that have areas where fans are known to stand into safe standing areas. How? It has been ignored for years.

As for having a choice, you mention the elderly or young not able able to stand or even see past people stood. How do they have a choice?  They could have a section in the away area at the front that is seated. But some may not want to sit low down. The old farts will have to suck it up and sit low down. Appreciate that in some older grounds this might be an issue but there will never be a 100% perfect solution. 

So the answer maybe to have away ends all seater still. But the majority will all stand away, and we are back to square one with the safety aspect. Yes, so have standing. A percenage of peple will not sit. You can ignore it or embrace it.

This leaves home areas only being possibly made safe standing, then you get a choice wether you use it or not.  But as far as I can see this is a contradiction in improving supporter safety in the home area, whilst the away fans will be standing as they are now. Even if it is just home supporters it is a step forward. 

Who said life is easy, I can see why it's taken soooooo long for anything to happen. ? We can't stand still :D

Archived