We are where we are!

RoyMac5

Think Rowett's been very brave. The sale of players like Hughes, Ince and Keogh is inevitably going to make folk nervy but as per @Saul Pimpson's OP, we do have to support him and the boys. Hopefully the cash generated from sales will be sensibly invested for once. WIsdom & Davies look a pair of sound signings to me and it'll be interesting to see who else comes in over the course of the window. Hopefully the boys start well as a slow start could see GR under immense pressure. I'd like to think he'd be given a full season to show what he can do irrespective.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A small close nit squad of decent but not world beaters is the closest we have come to promotion in a decade of being in the championship.

A return to that idea seems a good and sound principle it served many teams who have gone up recently very very well.

They are tough decisions but changes were probably needed. My judgement on Rowett and the team for that matter will be reserved for the season ahead as it should be for everyone.

If our best players move on to the Premiership, then we're more likely to attract new players who are on a similar journey.

Ideally, any new players that join us will go up to the Premiership with us, but if we don't manage to get everything right, and don't get promoted for a couple of years, then these players need to move on and upwards too.

There will always be plenty of players who like to settle down at one club, some of whom continually improve; and some of whom who go stale, and these need to go too, or at least get inspired and on track by a good coaching team!

21 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Whether they're good signings or not remain to be seen. I could have shifted Will Hughes and Tom Ince,  the skill is developing the deadwood like the Blackmans that no other club would touch into acceptable footballers and to get the players such as the Vydras and the Johnsons to justify their grossly inflated transfer fees. 

Is there only me thinks BJ is a good signing!!

On 6/30/2017 at 22:39, Inglorius said:

That's why Rowett gets paid the big bucks. There will be a short honeymoon period when Rowett can claim that he inherited this mess to Rowett being acountable for their ongoing poor performances. 

yup

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 22:39, Inglorius said:

That's why Rowett gets paid the big bucks. There will be a short honeymoon period when Rowett can claim that he inherited this mess to Rowett being acountable for their ongoing poor performances. 

Preseason, I'd guess! :D

#COYR

theres a lot of negativity about the ins and outs ,but we were crying out for a change.its one of the best times to look forward to the begining of the new season.we carnt wait to see the new additions but after listening to gr on that vid you could see hes stuck in a hard place like the will sarga,but has he says how can you stand in his way when hes requestening the move must be simular with ince,hence waiving his own fee to get the move.gr knows what he wants and he hopefully has the whole season to carry it on through.if mistakes arnt learned we will end up with a squad of has beens who nobody wants and lose any interest in talent coming here. im realy excited as we are told quality is coming and not quantity.lets get behind him and enjoy what evers ahead esp without a ball being kicked yet.we have a good opening month of easier matches compared to last season thats what we need to gel players quickly and know their places in the team

Will the money from the sales of Hughes and Ince be reinvested?

Not to sure as we were informed that we had to lose some players [budgets/wages] more than bring players in, so unless we are going to offload more first team players first, we would really just be swapping?

Is this the reason GR said every player is potentially available?

Some thought it was tweaking that was needed, it could end up more like a complete rebuild.

9 minutes ago, toddy said:

Will the money from the sales of Hughes and Ince be reinvested? ...

Some thought it was tweaking that was needed, it could end up more like a complete rebuild.

I think the money has already been invested! As for just tweaking, not sure many still believe that. I think it will be a half-way house, there'll be enough of the current squad that Rowett rates.

I'm feeling confident, I like change and after several seasons of missing out, who's to say change isn't needed?

Also, cast your minds back to the start of the 1995/96 season (the best I have ever witnessed what with being born in the mid 80s).... 

.... we went into that season with a new manager and minus players that were part of the squad the previous season such as Craig Short, Paul Williams, Mark Pembridge and Tommy Johnson. Who at that time thought we'd improve on the players that were no longer there? Yet, those players had been to the playoffs 2 years previously and only managed to finished 9th the season prior to them leaving (obviously coincidence but a nice parallel to today). 

We'd spent big money in the years prior to 1995 and didn't manage to take that extra step towards promotion. Suddenly our policy was to recuit players on a tighter budget despite the outgoing players. Again, another parallel to today.

All we need now is a Willems and Van Der Laan to come in, make a terrible start, sign an absolute legend in October, get thrashed on his debut then go onto to claim automatic promotion and the fairytale is complete!

Archived