Back Rowett or Back the players?

Carnero

No chance GR would have sold Hughes and Ince if we could have fetched decent sums for some of the dross brought in by Clement and Pearson. 

Which manager in their right mind would pay anything close to the fees we paid for the likes of Blackman, Anya etc? 

They will be missed but how else is he supposed to build his own team? I feel for him in this respect. 

The main test comes now in how he spends the £££. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although GR has only actually been in charge for a few months he seems by his actions to have already polarised opinions.

There are those already calling for his head for the sale of our 'stars'. We need to remember the transfer window is still open and the season not started. 

I say give him a fair chance to see what he can do with his own team before he is put to the sword.

1 hour ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Although GR has only actually been in charge for a few months he seems by his actions to have already polarised opinions.

There are those already calling for his head for the sale of our 'stars'. We need to remember the transfer window is still open and the season not started. 

I say give him a fair chance to see what he can do with his own team before he is put to the sword.

Not seen anybody call for his head. Maybe on tw@tter where there are more attention seekers than hashtags

18 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Not seen anybody call for his head. Maybe on tw@tter where there are more attention seekers than hashtags

To be fair Alpha you are right this forum is pretty well balanced on the whole.  

Always different points of view. 

How about the fans getting behind the whole club for a change. From top to bottom. Instead of complaining why doesn't everyone go to the match and give it their all for the team? If we start off the season with the crowd getting on the players backs and having a go at the manager and owner we will not have a good season. The fans need to be onside as well to ensure the whole club has a feeling of that "winning mentality". If we start off negatively with a negative crowd it will end badly.

I've always said that for a team to improve you should replace your current players with better ones. That is the ideal situation though. When a team is functioning as well as it possibly can you tweak things, bringing in better players, the players who are replaced ideally become backup and the previous backup is moved out. The problem is that the team we had that was functioning wasn't just tweaked. Players were brought in that really just didn't fit. Those players when originally signed were nearly all lauded as being excellent signings. Unfortunately they weren't what was needed. We now have a team that doesn't function "all of the time". They have their moments but over 46 games there isn't consistency.

So what do we need to do now? In my opinion we need to rebuild. We need to make a team. FFP means that you can't throw £30 million at it every year. There comes a point where you need to wheel and deal. To wheel and deal you need someone to buy your players. There seems to have been little interest in the players that haven't been performing to a high standard week in week out. So what's left as a course of action? Move out the players that you receive offers for, especially if they are "interested" in moving. Bring in players that will hopefully improve the other none-performers and thereby improve the team as a whole. As I said before, many of these none-performers were seen as excellent signings at the time. GR at the moment has made 2 signings. They would appear to have improved what was already a good Championship defence. Hopefully George Thorne can stay injury free this season and play close to the level that we all know that he is capable of. With Carson in goal that's the 6 defensive positions looking good. Out of Martin, Vydra and Newgent plus the other forwards I would hope that GR can get a front 2-3 as well. Butterfield and Johnson with the right players alongside them should also be more than capable. Yes, we've sold arguably our best technical player and look like selling our best performer of last season, but I honestly can't see what else GR could do! If he can bring in 1, 2 or even 3 more that will improve the team as a whole and at the same time move out any that really have got no chance of getting into the team then this will have been a good summer.

God, I hope this isn't Docherty/Pearson mark II!

55 minutes ago, Reverend said:

How about the fans getting behind the whole club for a change. From top to bottom. Instead of complaining why doesn't everyone go to the match and give it their all for the team? If we start off the season with the crowd getting on the players backs and having a go at the manager and owner we will not have a good season. The fans need to be onside as well to ensure the whole club has a feeling of that "winning mentality". If we start off negatively with a negative crowd it will end badly.

Why do people think that if you say something negative on here that you don't support the team.

When I was slating Pearson last season on here I was singing his name at games as loud as anyone. When I come on here and say I'd rather gouge out my own eyes than watch Jason Shackell make a pass I'm still going on a Saturday applauding him on and off the pitch. 

This is a forum where we discuss stuff. We can have 10 threads named "Rowett is the best manager ever" where we all say "Yeah, thank God he sold Hughes" and "I'll think we will win the league by February" but will that really help the club? Is this forum really such a motivational tool for the club. 

If I think Carson had a crap game or buying Chris Weale is a stupid idea do I really have to bite my tongue on a messageboard? 

Like I keep saying. When Rowett or any newcomer comes in and does something positive for Derby then you begin to trust their decisions. Until then it's all in the unknown. 

Like when Ince takes a free kick and when Jamie Ward took a free kick. One gives you hope and the other you just didn't believe in. Belief has to be earned for some fans. 

What's interesting is that some of those who were so eager to call for Rowett will also be the first to call for •insert manager• if Rowett struggles. They always think the grass is greener and constantly look to something new and shiny. Always looking for the next messiah. Watch them start throwing tantrums when it turns out Rowett is human. If you think the complaining is bad now you'll see some real OTT reactions

Pearson had 4 months and 9 games.

Rowett's had 3 1/2 months and 9 games. 

I think thats enough surely?

11 minutes ago, ramesses said:

Perhaps, but plenty of prep work in progress so just a matter time...

conejitos+suicidas2.jpg

Can only speak for myself but I won't call for his head. I think we need a team built. Even if it's a crap team. Right now there's no style, no partnerships etc. Nothing to even build on really. 

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Why do people think that if you say something negative on here that you don't support the team.

When I was slating Pearson last season on here I was singing his name at games as loud as anyone. When I come on here and say I'd rather gouge out my own eyes than watch Jason Shackell make a pass I'm still going on a Saturday applauding him on and off the pitch. 

I didn't say that though. What I meant was isn't it about time we stopped slating players like Shackell and Butterfield when they play and get behind them? Feel free to moan after the game, that's what makes football the game it is. But what won't work is when Butterfield or Bent or Johnson make their first poor pass is everyone jumping down their throats and calling for Hughes to come back. If you blindly support the team on match day fair play to you - we need more fans like you.

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

This is a forum where we discuss stuff. We can have 10 threads named "Rowett is the best manager ever" where we all say "Yeah, thank God he sold Hughes" and "I'll think we will win the league by February" but will that really help the club? Is this forum really such a motivational tool for the club. 

Probably not. But the fans are a motivational tool and that's what I'm getting at. If there are loads of "fans" turning up to the first home game with the attitude that we have sold all our best players and are going nowhere what kind of atmosphere does that set us for? By all means come on the forum afterwards and give your opinion but I'm worried because a lot of fans seem to think GR is setting us up to fail already before a game has been played!

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Belief has to be earned for some fans. 

What's interesting is that some of those who were so eager to call for Rowett will also be the first to call for •insert manager• if Rowett struggles. They always think the grass is greener and constantly look to something new and shiny. Always looking for the next messiah. Watch them start throwing tantrums when it turns out Rowett is human. If you think the complaining is bad now you'll see some real OTT reactions

I know. I would hate to think what will happen if we lose the first 2 or 3 games. We need to give the team and manager some time and space to evolve. I personally think we might have a good season because the expectation is not as high as the last few seasons. I will still give my full support. I hope everyone else does on match day too.

Archived