Interesting revelation by Savage

admira

Derby's dismal 2007-08 season had me online posing as Rams fans praising my play, reveals Robbie Savage

Our 25 Years of the Premier League season looks at what must surely be the worst campaign by any club in that time

Relegated before the end of March. Just 11 points all ­season — four of them at Newcastle’s expense. A record run of 32 games without a win. And a goal difference of minus-69.

Derby County ’s class of 2008 was the worst team in Premier League history.

They were so bad that they managed to concede six goals in consecutive home games against Aston Villa and Arsenal.

They were so bad that midfielder Robbie Savage, who ­arrived in the January transfer ­window but endured the worst spell of his career, made up aliases on fans’ forums and praised his own performances to try to lift his approval rating among the ­suffering masses at Pride Park.

And they were so bad that ­manager Paul Jewell sided with the supporters who turned on the players after a 4-0 defeat at home to Reading in the final game.

“No passion for the shirt, no desire, no willingness to run... whatever you need to make a good team, this group of players haven’t got it,” said Jewell, who admitted the Rams’ whole season had been an “embarrassment.”

Jewell had arrived in late November, with Derby already rock-bottom – just six points from 14 games – and needing more snookers than Ronnie O’Sullivan at the Crucible.

Unbelievably, it got even worse under Jewell, but in truth the warning signs had been trailed, in plumes of smoke across the sky, on the day Derby were promoted in the play-offs 12 months earlier.

Instead of celebrating the Rams’ backs-to-the-wall win against West Brom at Wembley, Billy Davies – a manager who could start an argument with the speaking clock – was already spoiling for a fight with the board over the budget required to finance Premier League survival.

Sure enough, Peter Gadsby would be replaced by Adam Pearson as chairman before the end of October, but musical chairs in the boardroom did nothing for the club’s fortunes on the pitch.

Now-Mirror columnist Savage , who was appointed ­captain when Matt Oakley jumped ship and went to Leicester, was soon dragged down by the negativity. He arrived for training in a £160,000 Mercedes, but Derby were as doomed as an old banger stranded on the hard shoulder and billowing steam under the bonnet.

The Rams’ acceleration towards the cliff-edge was so spectacular that even Savage – whose energy was always beyond reproach – became riddled with self-doubt.

He said: “I was so insecure to the point that, after I signed for Derby and I was having a shocker, I used to go on message boards and ­chatrooms, make up a name and say ‘Savage played well today, didn’t he?’ to try to influence ­opinion among the supporters.

“But we were so poor that ­season you would go into some games knowing you weren’t going to get anything out of them.

“The body language of players was terrible. You’d look around the dressing room at your mates and think ‘He’s not going to help me out today.’ I became an absolute shell of myself.

“It was awful to be told, week in and week out, that you were awful and the worst team ever to play in the Premier League.

“I suffered, and the following season I was frozen out. Sent to train with the kids at 34 years of age. I couldn’t understand what the hell was happening to me. That was easily the worst period of my career, the lowest of the low.”

When the 2-2 draw with fellow strugglers Fulham on March 29 put Derby out of their misery, it felt like an act of mercy.

The Rams have not returned to the top flight since — although Steve McClaren’s feat of being top of the Championship in February and missing out on the play-offs altogether in 2015 was a monument to silk purses and sow’s ears.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/derbys-dismal-2007-08-season-10650361

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Car crash from start to finish.

sav was never going to be a popular signing after the dive / craig burley incident. And worst still, the idiot Jewell traded two of our most important players - oakley and howard - to get him.

Signed too many old heads whose legs were gone.

let that be a lesson.

I like the way Savage goes about telling everyone he was hard done to and none of it was his fault. Poor love. Not.

The Mirror aren't fans of DCFC and Savage has always been an utter, talentless, cynical cheat of a footballer.

The best bit is hoping you might have commented on a thread Savage was on and told him what a bag of useless ***** he was!

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who could imagine.

I can't that's why I asked, see it all the time X pundit hates us, X paper, when you ask why they can't really explain or throw a line out they said or published once, failing to realise that papers will use any club for a click worthy headline. They don't hate any club as without them you would have thousands less clicks per day.

Just now, David said:

I can't that's why I asked, see it all the time X pundit hates us, X paper, when you ask why they can't really explain or throw a line out they said or published once, failing to realise that papers will use any club for a click worthy headline. They don't hate any club as without them you would have thousands less clicks per day.

There's plenty of 'bad blood' between us and the Mirror. Perhaps that means nothing. I'll leave it to you to research some of the past stuff they've written about us and decide then.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

There's plenty of 'bad blood' between us and the Mirror. Perhaps that means nothing. I'll leave it to you to research some of the past stuff they've written about us and decide then.

Why not point me in the right direction then, if I Google why do the Mirror hate Derby little will come up

I think we sometimes overestimate our significance in the world of football.  I doubt many media outlets really care enough about us to 'hate' us.  Not an avid newspaper reader, but I do remember moaning to somebody once about how the Mirror kept calling us County... I suppose that is either a sign of hatred ('cos they know we don't like it!) or, more likely, a sign of their utter indifference and laziness when it comes to reporting on this club.

It's a bit like when people call us a laughing stock when Mel gets his firing stick out.... nobody is laughing at us (apart from Forest) because nobody really cares enough to even raise much of an eyebrow.

I know that is a bit negative, but probably the truth... 

47 minutes ago, David said:

Why?

All goes back to when Maxwell owned the Mirror and DCFC , why there should be an agenda at the Mirror against Derby [if indeed there is one] I don't know .

If I was being paranoid the reports on Derby are always tiny for such a well supported club and they are never glowing in fact Derby's was always after the results page stand alone from all the other championship reports .

29 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I think we sometimes overestimate our significance in the world of football.  I doubt many media outlets really care enough about us to 'hate' us.  Not an avid newspaper reader, but I do remember moaning to somebody once about how the Mirror kept calling us County... I suppose that is either a sign of hatred ('cos they know we don't like it!) or, more likely, a sign of their utter indifference and laziness when it comes to reporting on this club.

It's a bit like when people call us a laughing stock when Mel gets his firing stick out.... nobody is laughing at us (apart from Forest) because nobody really cares enough to even raise much of an eyebrow.

I know that is a bit negative, but probably the truth... 

You will find many writing Notts Forest as well, I refuse to believe they are dumb, it's all clicks, retweets and shares these days, they are clever enough to realise that people will share what pisses them off and others will read so they can be pissed off as well.

It's also why people like Kenny Burns are employable, never fails to get a bite and a click.

2 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

All goes back to when Maxwell owned the Mirror and DCFC , why there should be an agenda at the Mirror against Derby [if indeed there is one] I don't know .

If I was being paranoid the reports on Derby are always tiny for such a well supported club and they are never glowing in fact Derby's was always after the results page stand alone from all the other championship reports .

Ahh, bit before my time then to be aware of that, can't see our name being on their office dart board still. I actually thought @RoyMac5 was referring to the drone story

Archived