Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

1 minute ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Yeah, watch the Q and A with the whole board including Clement, they say that FFP won't be an issue.

Would be nice for the club to a be a bit more open at times. 

That was many moons ago in the world of football. The club has been pretty open about the purse strings tightening and there being significant outgoings this summer ever since Rowett joined, so they've been relatively open about that.

FFP maybe wasn't an issue at the time, but it's on a rolling three-year period. We've not had a single negative net spend in any window since, and our wage bill has continued to grow. We've not had Premier League football and our revenue hasn't increased significantly.

Whatever Clement and the board said in a Q and A is old news now.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Good interview. I wonder what positions he thinks we're top heavy in? Perhaps left back would be one, right back we have 3 players. And centre half? I can only obviously see these ones currently.

We have 8 central midfielders (Thorne,  bryson, Johnson,  butterfield, Hanson, Elsnik, Vernam, and Guy). And 6 wingers. And about 5 players who regard their main position as striker

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

That was many moons ago in the world of football. The club has been pretty open about the purse strings tightening and there being significant outgoings this summer ever since Rowett joined, so they've been relatively open about that.

FFP maybe wasn't an issue at the time, but it's on a rolling three-year period. We've not had a single negative net spend in any window since, and our wage bill has continued to grow. We've not had Premier League football and our revenue hasn't increased significantly.

Whatever Clement and the board said in a Q and A is old news now.

Doesn't that show the short term planning of the club? Give Clement millions to spend and waste and thensack him after a poor run of form. Plus it couldn't have helped FFP sacking every manager under a year. 

1 minute ago, Dimmu said:

Pushed out basically. He had signed new contract in January which tells you he was happy stay just 5 months ago. Sit him on the bench rest of the season and you get what you want...

From Will's view.. there's no wonder he prefers PL over Derby bench.

Surely in modern professional football, most fans aren't so naive to think that signing a new contract means the player wants to stay with the club for the duration of that new contract? It's a way of increasing salary but also inserting clauses which protect his future ambition. Obviously it helps the club avoid the possibility of a player being able to walk away without any transfer fee at the end of his original contract but it definitely comes at a cost - these days, players (and their leeches!) hold all the aces.

1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

A lot of unnecessary spending that will/has held us back at other times. Hindsight is a great thing 

Well you'd have hoped to club would have planned there spending better at the time, poor management has lead us to the position we are now where we're selling our best player without fight. 

5 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Doesn't that show the short term planning of the club? Give Clement millions to spend and waste and thensack him after a poor run of form. Plus it couldn't have helped FFP sacking every manager under a year. 

Well that's a different matter entirely, and you're completely right. Short-termism has lead to us having to tread so carefully this summer.

I honestly think that the club failed to plan for the fact that we still might be in the Championship in 2017/18 after all that spending.

But we are where are now, and Rowett has to play the cards he has been dealt.

Huddersfield and Brighton had a net spend of around £2m last season, what we're seeing here is not an issue at Derby but normal service being resumed.

FFP isn't limited to Derby, we have seen 3 seasons without many departures so this season we're scaling back the squad to stay onside, when a player that has an opportunity to leave and wants a new challenge he has been allowed to leave. Not an ideal one, I'm sure we all have names we would have preferred to see leave but if the interest isn't there what can you do? You wheel and deal like every other club.

£30m spend summers were never going to be the norm and everyone pretty much agreed this squad was far too big especially with players coming back from injury, more outgoings than incomings were inevitable. Just don't understand the panic screams. If Rowett starts dreaming of Shaun Barker type fees I'll be on the edge of the cliff with you all.

1 minute ago, David said:

Huddersfield and Brighton had a net spend of around £2m last season, what we're seeing here is not an issue at Derby but normal service being resumed.

FFP isn't limited to Derby, we have seen 3 seasons without many departures so this season we're scaling back the squad to stay onside, when a player that has an opportunity to leave and wants a new challenge he has been allowed to leave. Not an ideal one, I'm sure we all have names we would have preferred to see leave but if the interest isn't there what can you do? You wheel and deal like every other club.

£30m spend summers were never going to be the norm and everyone pretty much agreed this squad was far too big especially with players coming back from injury, more outgoings than incomings were inevitable. Just don't understand the panic screams. If Rowett starts dreaming of Shaun Barker type fees I'll be on the edge of the cliff with you all.

All that's fine, but all it does is highlight that clubs short term vision. They wasted millions on high wage dross for two seasons now and at the same time sacked 4 managers. If the club was run a bit better I'm sure we wouldn't be in the situation we're in now. 

3 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

All that's fine, but all it does is highlight that clubs short term vision. They wasted millions on high wage dross for two seasons now and at the same time sacked 4 managers. If the club was run a bit better I'm sure we wouldn't be in the situation we're in now. 

Thanks for that Captain Hindsight.

Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

True, but we're not having a fire sale starting from scratch either so it's not a sign of RIP Derby, we still have a core set of players that are good enough for a promotion challenge. Rowett is still talking about top 6 being a minimum target, the only places I've heard mid table muttered is forums. 

Even the Villa owner has spoken of selling before buying, warning of the FFP constraints.

Some of those millions wasted were players to cover injuries, had we lost Bryson and Hughes and never replaced, what kind of mess would we have seen that season?

When you leave it late you will always get stung by fees, that's why I hate January transfer windows, we got stung for over £10m by a lack of preparation to have targets for 2 CM's that we never expected to get injured.

As for Pearson with Vydra and Anya I have no defence for that. Madness.

Just now, Saul Pimpson said:

Thanks for that Captain Hindsight.

Really? Quite a lot of people were worried about the excessive transfers in the 15/16 season and how we were going to pay them, but we were reassured by the board. Then people raised concerns about sacking Clement, but we were told it was all about a long term project 'The Derby Way'. Pearson was hired who went against everything to do with the so called 'Derby Way' and again was given the freedom to waste millions on players like Vydra. 

It didn't have to take a fortune teller to realise the club were making consistent poor decisions. 

Just now, David said:

Some of those millions wasted were players to cover injuries, had we lost Bryson and Hughes and never replaced, what kind of mess would we have seen that season?

Given one of those replacements was Bradley Johnson, not sure how drastically different our season would have been...

Derby County manager Gary Rowett has admitted the decision to sell Will Hughes to Watford was a difficult one.

Hughes joined the Hornets on a five-year deal for an undisclosed fee, reported to be £5 million rising to £9 million. There is also said to be a 15% sell-on fee.

Speculation had been rife throughout the summer that the England Under-21 international would make the move from Pride Park – and it was confirmed on Saturday evening.

He is the second Derby player to leave under Rowett's regime, following Abdoul Camara out, as the former Birmingham City boss starts to reshape his squad.

"From a financial aspect we have for Financial Fair Play and things like that we have to adhere to," Rowett told RamsTV. "We're trying to restructure and rebuild around different factors.

"We thought it was a sensible decision – a difficult decision – I can understand it's difficult for a lot of the fans, but like I've said before we have to make tough decisions to get to where we want to be.

"I have to make sure every player here next year is thoroughly committed to what we're doing and it was an opportunity for Will and he certainly wanted to explore it."

The Rams boss also spoke about the conversation he had with Hughes ahead of the move.

"We had the enquiry (from Watford) and I spoke to Will," said Rowett. "You always try to gauge what a player is thinking and how a player feels about it.

"Will said to me after two difficult seasons he really felt he needed a new challenge.

"I don't suggest for one minute he doesn't feel the same way about the club, because he does. He's grown up here being a big part of it, but when you hear a player say that you have to be open-minded."

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-manager-gary-rowett-on-will-hughes-move-to-watford/story-30408515-detail/story.html

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

Given one of those replacements was Bradley Johnson, not sure how drastically different our season would have been...

If Johnson leaves today he will go down as an awful purchase. 

If Rowett can find the real Bradley Johnson he could go down as a decent buy and a drop in the ocean with the PL windfall. You could apply that to every player at the club but Johnson has the ability to be a key player and boss the midfield area. 

I'm still hopeful, I will be to the day he leaves that he and Weimann will come good for us

16 hours ago, DC-1975 said:

Bradley Johnsons goal against Wolves went the length of the pitch with 3 passes, not one long ball! Simple but very effective.

Whereas the Darren Bent goal v Wolves showed what? 

7 minutes ago, David said:

If Johnson leaves today he will go down as an awful purchase. 

If Rowett can find the real Bradley Johnson he could go down as a decent buy and a drop in the ocean with the PL windfall. You could apply that to every player at the club but Johnson has the ability to be a key player and boss the midfield area. 

I'm still hopeful, I will be to the day he leaves that he and Weimann will come good for us

Doesn't matter what follows, we paid way over the odds for him. Could argue we wouldn't have to sell Hughes if we hadn't signed him for £6m.

Think it's difficult to argue anything other than signing players who turn out to be average to poor most of the time for club-record fees makes achieving promotion significantly harder, especially with FFP in place.

Johnson has been significantly worse than Hendrick, Hughes and Bryson before injury. We spent record money on being worse. If we'd spent £2m on three players who suited Clement's style of play instead of £6m on Johnson, who knows where we'd be now.

He could go part way to redeeming himself, and for large spells towards the end of last season, he didn't look out of place in an upper mid-table side, which is the best compliment I can give him so far.

Given what he's given us for the past three seasons, he will never go down as a decent buy. No matter what happens next.

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Whereas the Darren Bent goal v Wolves showed what? 

Class. 

Like practically all of Butterfield's in his first year here, and many of Martin, Russell's and Ince's that season too. With Johnson and Thorne weighing in with crackers too. 

All of the above remain. We topped the table with them by Xmas. Give me that again. Efficient football. Results football. And if the results dip a little, it'd be nice if Mel backed his manager to turn it around this time.

5 hours ago, Strange yearnings said:

Judging from the gnashing of teeth and self flagellation going on here in reaction to Will's going, (including one who said that a little bit of him died) it seems a lot of posters just haven't got a lot going on in their lives. Will's gone. Get over it. Get a life. Look forward to the coming season and get behind the team and manager!

A bit strong for a former librarian.

Archived