Alan Devonshire

Bridgford Ram

A really strange one this.  I have just watched a documentary - The Boleyn Boys (It was ***** so don't bother) which was 5 West Ham greats (Bonds, Gale, Devonshire, Cottee & Parkes) talking about memories of Upton Park.  The only thing that really stood out was that Tony Cottee and Tony Gale both picked Devonshire as the best player they ever played with (ahead of Trevor Brooking) and Billy Bonds put Devonshire as second only to Brooking.

I am a bit young to really remember but was he that good?

He got 8 caps for England (1980-83) as a winger and can only think it was the likes of Coppell and Rix keeping him out as well as England trying to pick Wilkins, Robson and Hoddle in the same team.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that's him. Iv'e watched him play in the mid 80's until 1990. - steady player with good passing ability - he had probably adapted his game from his early career.

I remember Bonds  much more from this time as having influence in games. Never saw Brooking play live  

Watched it myself  , the actual legend  of the 5 was Billy Bonds ...663  appearances  for W.Ham  ..   Parkes  wasn,t a bad goalie only got 1 cap for England   but  was around at same time as Shilton 

Cottee  i never rated   ( just my opinion  )

Gale  made his name at W.Ham  (  wasn,t fit to lace to boots of  Stimac , Wright   , Mcfarland  ...  was given a free transfer  and joined Blackburn   didnt manage 20 games for them

Devonshire  nothing special   look at his goal ratio    :D  ....  but was injury prone 

Seem to recall the name in question being one of their cult figures for a time, not so much a fan-favorite or anything of iconic status, but provided some important goals and would of playing under John Lyall if correct.    West Ham came close to winning the old First Division League around 30 years back and Devonshire would have been involved along with other names you could label including Cottee, McAvennie and er, well that's it I can't recall many others :mellow:

Not what you'd call a club legend, I'd pick Moore, Vic Watson and 'Pop' Robson as leading legendary figures, Bonds also if required, but (that's) a name that always lies under the radar for opposition fans I feel to include.

Archived