Back to goal

FindernRam

Looking at last nights borefest again it was obvious that we were struggling to breakdown a determined opposition who always seemed to double team our player in possession. And rewatching it it was clear why. In 85% (yes I counted them) our receiving player was back to goal and usually fairly static. By the time he controlled the ball, decided to try to actually beat the opposition, attempted to turn and accelerate he was out numbered and muscled out of it.

Very few passes were played behind the defence for a runner to take forward. Even cross field balls were to feet rather than forward.

Huddersfield were pushing it through when they went forward (with a pace we lack!) And unlike us they usually left at least one player forward when defending corners.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without a ball carrier, a midfielder looking to break the lines by running forward and a centre-forward who can drop deep to create space in behind, you're left with a very static side.

The balance is just horribly wrong and playing with Bent upfront is like playing with 10 men.

Add to the fact Huddersfield were happy to sit back and protect their 1-0 lead without really pressing in our half, it was all set-up to be an absoloute borefest.

Still seems a relic of the Clement era, yet it's very poor that our players haven't broken out of it as a way of playing. But as Bris says, we are hampered when we try to play Bent as the forward (even though the stats show Vydra was actually furthest forward).

I remember reading how radical it was that the Ajax team of the 1970s trained to pass the ball in front of the player rather than to his feet, but it seems in some places it's still not caught on. While Will was our best player on Monday, it annoyed me that when we got a freekick in the Huddersfield half, he persistently kicked it 15 yards backwards to our centre halves. Every other team in the league would wait for our centre halves to get to the edge of the opposition box and then put the ball in there hoping for an attacking opportunity. We should be doing similar as we certainly don't create chances with our pedestrian buildup play.

Don't get me started on bringing everyone back at corners. And still not putting players on both posts! The madness of modern coaching. We clearly can't defend corners when the penalty area is so crowded, so I'd leave three upfield and dare the opposition not to leave four back. I hate having everyone back and clearing the ball to nobody so it's just returned and the pressure kept on us.

But the bottom line is that the opening post is right and we have got into a terrible habit of always receiving the ball facing backwards and this should be the number one thing to change about the mentality of the players. First thought should always be forwards.

No matter what our tactics/mindset was for the game, very very difficult to break a team down playing so deep. They clearly didn't think we would be able to break them down if they went 1-0 up. Strange gameplay but shows what some opposition sides/managers think we are weak at. They're not wrong either

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Don't get me started on bringing everyone back at corners. And still not putting players on both posts! The madness of modern coaching. We clearly can't defend corners when the penalty area is so crowded, so I'd leave three upfield and dare the opposition not to leave four back. I hate having everyone back and clearing the ball to nobody so it's just returned and the pressure kept on us.

Apparently the theory is a congested box prevents a clear shot at goal. To my mind that increases the chance of a deflection and a stranded keeper-Butterfield for example. Also makes it harder for the ref with 20 bodies all pushing/holding etc. It is also very messy to watch!

I would like a rule change that at set pieces the both sides have to have 2 players in the opposition half/halfway line. That would open play up immensly

On 18 April 2017 at 22:51, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

In fairness its hard to play in behind a defense that is permanently parked on its own 18 yard line. That doesnt excuse the fact we largeley buggered about doing nothing productive for most of the match of course.

When we finally get to their box it needs players brave enough to try to break into the box. The chances are that if you keep doing it you will eventually win a penalty or score. 

Archived