If you were Mel...

sage

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, sage said:

If you were Mel (and Sam) would you have sacked the following managers at point he did?

Nigel Clough    No

Steve McClaren   No

Paul Clement   No

Nigel Pearson   Yes

Steve McClaren II    No

Really hope Mel gives Rowatt time but history tells you it is unlikely.

4 minutes ago, sage said:

yes.

I think the Pearson % may have been higher if it wasn't for the carnage before.

Also how much did PC and NP awful recruitment cost SM his job second time around? 

Not sure about the previous recruitment but McClaren had the choice to change our style which he didn't. He still went for possession football too many backwards and sideways passes. It is ok at certain times but he never got through to the players that they needed to go forward quickly when chasing the game. The number of times we gave teams time to get back by slowing the attack by going sideways or backwards was unbelievable. He never reproduced the magic from the 13/14 season which may suggest that was a fluke. 

2 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Not sure about the previous recruitment but McClaren had the choice to change our style which he didn't. He still went for possession football too many backwards and sideways passes. It is ok at certain times but he never got through to the players that they needed to go forward quickly when chasing the game. The number of times we gave teams time to get back by slowing the attack by going sideways or backwards was unbelievable. He never reproduced the magic from the 13/14 season which may suggest that was a fluke. 

I think he inherited an unbalanced team, the passing was often slow coming out of defence as there was no-one up front to hold the ball up. Could you have picked a side/formation/style of play that would have got us top 6?

1 minute ago, sage said:

I think he inherited an unbalanced team, the passing was often slow coming out of defence as there was no-one up front to hold the ball up. Could you have picked a side/formation/style of play that would have got us top 6?

I doubt it but that's why I'm working for the water board. I still believe a good manager can send a team out to win or get a result based upon tactics and attitude. That is why I'm hoping this appointment will plug that gap. If you look at Brum how have they become so bad since Rowett left?

3 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I doubt it but that's why I'm working for the water board. I still believe a good manager can send a team out to win or get a result based upon tactics and attitude. That is why I'm hoping this appointment will plug that gap. If you look at Brum how have they become so bad since Rowett left?

Zola has tried to play a system that didn't suit the players 

39 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Yes and I suspect McClaren has done the same and that is why he isn't the manager today.

Hmm It is a different situation because Zola inherited a system that was working and Steve Mac wasn't. 

We don't have the CFs to play 1 up front and we don't have the midfielders to play 442. I guess the main part he played in his demise is by not beginning to solve that equation in the Jan transfer window. 

20 hours ago, sage said:

If you were Mel (and Sam) would you have sacked the following managers at point he did?

Nigel Clough No

Steve McClaren no

Paul Clement no

Nigel Pearson yes

Steve McClaren II i was on the fence therefore no, but he had lost the plot with team selection 

20 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Steve McClaren II - No, for me this was classless. McClaren deserves more respect for instigating the pleasure that bought love for football back to a lot of fans. He is clearly disliked by Mel, and this appointment was a Sam Rush appointment. He deserved better treatment than having a gun hanging over his head and he still never got the chance to rid the club of those that undermine our ambitions.

Very well put Mostyn.

18 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

What if Rowett doesn't pick Hughes then? 

16 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Seriously though, every poster who has named a team on this forum has Hughes in it. Yet Pearson and Mac didn't pick him as regular as expected. 

What if Rowett picks Bryson instead? 

I get the feeling we will see the so-called grafters under Rowett, not the so-called footballers. Bryson, Russell, Johnson, Baird, Nugent will all be Rowett players I reckon. 

Hughes, Christie, Butterfield, Bent, De Sart, not so much. 

Time will tell.

interested to hear opinions now.

Speaking of Paul clement, the Swansea forums make very interesting adding at the moment.  Apparently they've been dreadful for the last couple of games, very negative, lots of slow sideways passing and no real goal threat. And with the manager seemingly having no clue how to fix it.  All sounds very, very familiar.

On 03/17/2017 at 16:15, sage said:

Nigel Clough - No I thought we were going in the right direction and would have finished the season strongly enough to be in and around the play offs.

Steve McClaren - No I thought he was only partially to blame for collapse. Didn't help his own cause but still felt he'd earned the right to fix things over the summer.

Paul Clement - No even though the football was dull I thought he deserved a season. We don't know how much MM and SR tried to impress upon him the importance of attacking football or what went on behind the scenes but he deserved a season to get things right.

Nigel Pearson - Yes although I wouldn't have appointed him to start with.

Steve McClaren II - Yes but only because I'm happier with Rowett. I was uncertain about him coming back. Started well but clearly struggled to get to grips with things. I doubt MM would have sacked him unless it was to get GR. I would probably have made the same call.

Archived