League table since McClaren's appointment

Bris Vegas

We took 42 points from 26 games. 1.615 on average per game. Would equal 74 points over a 46-game season. Not bad considering our unbalanced squad, the fact Martin, Fozzy and Thorne are unavailable and only the Jan transfer window to improve the team.

Anyway, since his appointment, here is how everybody else has got on in points.

Also worth noting under Mac we played Newcastle, Brighton, Leeds, Huddersfield and Fulham away from home.

Brighton 56

Newcastle 55 

Leeds 50

Huddersfield 46

Fulham 46

Reading 46

Sheff Wed 45

Preston 43

Derby 42

Aston Villa 38

Cardiff 37

Barnsley 35

QPR 32

Ipswich 32

Norwich 31

Blackburn 30

Brentford 29

Burton 28

Forest 25

Wigan 25

Wolves 24

Birmingham 24

Bristol City 18

Rotherham 11

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the last minute Preston equaliser effectively cost him.

if we'd won both home games, i don't really think he could have been sacked.

The problem wasn't the 26 games. It was the last ten.

the things that cost him......

• Poor performances at leeds and norwich. 
  • The first half v bristol
  • the home performance v cardiff
  • the inability to score v burton, villa and blackburn.
  • that last minute equaliser v preston.
  • And the manner of the defeat v brighton

I posted at the time about Mel's reaction at full time v Preston.

all the hangers on suddenly rushed around him, and he had one of those emergency conflabs which have not happened since PC was on his way out. 

Schteve lost the plot a bit, but people do when they are under intense pressure. They make bizarre decisions. 

Schteve seemed to be sleep walking towards his fate.

Mel is fast creating a place for himself in Derby County history as the most loopy, impatient, unhinged, trigger happy chairman we have ever had. 

Ultimately the decision to let Martin go is surely the biggest factor.

his system needs a different type of striker to darren bent.

it was a miracle that schteve did so well in the first 12 games.

The last 10 matches have us 4th bottom. (Form table)

The first 9 matches of the season had us 4th bottom. 

We we mostly okay with one sacking. 

Id say our run of form now is more concerning that at the start of the season because MAC showed early doors and against good opposition that we could coax some effective football out of these players. It wasn't pretty but it was working. I'd say pair that with the fact he was unable to stop our slide the season before he left then maybe you start to understand Mels thinking? 

Im not saying it's right, I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm just saying any manager with relegation form over 10 games should be looking over their shoulder. 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Ultimately the decision to let Martin go is surely the biggest factor.

his system needs a different type of striker to darren bent.

it was a miracle that schteve did so well in the first 12 games.

So he played a system we didn't have the players for? His own fault then surely.

24 minutes ago, Simsy said:

So he played a system we didn't have the players for? His own fault then surely.

I did say that at the time.

but what system does suit darren bent? 

Nugent and vydra looked promising, but bent, nugent, ince and vydra away to brighton was crackers.

I remember the winning run. We never actually played well got some lucky results and came away thinking **** we was the worse team and were lucky. The poor results were coming unfortunately. That said I'd have kept him and see what happened next season. 

He got some right gems on loan in his last spell players who really did improve us. The problem I had is when he said the Bench was strong... And he didn't need to replace anyone etc not sure if he was smocking something when he talks sometimes. Maybe has contacts back in Holland?

He had a bad run.

The next manager will have a bad run.

The crucial difference between Pearson  (who I didn't want sacked even though I always hated the bloke) is that Pearson didn't provide a single positive in his time here. Not league games, not cup games, not signings, no idea what his philosophy was, no indication of what the future holds and loaned out our x3 season top scorer for what? A third of his transfer value at the risk of missing his contribution and him bombing at Fulham. For a couple of mil? He sold Grant, Hendrick and loaned out Martin while bringing in Chris Weale, Anya and Vydra. None of which contributed under him. All this after a full summer. 

Nothing, nothing, nothing like McClaren 

You can compare a period of 10 games all you like. If Pearson had turned in the point haul of Mac's first 10 games first then he wouldn't have been sacked.

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

The problem wasn't the 26 games. It was the last ten.

the things that cost him...... Schteve lost the plot a bit, but people do when they are under intense pressure. They make bizarre decisions. 

No real bizarre decisions were made - like playing a goalkeeper as striker, only 'arguable' opinions.

What cost Mac was getting the squad up to the Top 6, and them realising they'd be expected to go for it. Those three homes games in a row should have seen us cement a place, but what happened to the team? The players blew it yet again.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I did say that at the time.

but what system does suit darren bent?

Nugent and vydra looked promising, but bent, nugent, ince and vydra away to brighton was crackers.

Yeah so McLaren dodgy team selections contribute to the poor results.

System that suits Darren bent- the one Sunderland used! He has played at great levels and he loves to play off the shoulder therefore a more direct approach in games helps bent he is clearly a fantastic finisher as he always seems to score goals. Don't get me wrong he will do a decent job in any system which I think he has shown under Mac, but to get the best out of him we need to be more direct rather then ask him to drop deep and hold the ball up.

What has cost him is the fundamental lack of desire & effort from the players. They all pretty much seem disinterested and lethargic. Unfortunately for him it is Mac's job to ensure that doesn't happen.... so......... he has failed. If asked the question by his boss as to why performances are as they are and he has no real answer then its a question of "goodbye and close the door on the way out". These managers at a club like Derby are in extremely well paid positions.Not having control isn't an option. 

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Yeah so McLaren dodgy team selections contribute to the poor results.

System that suits Darren bent- the one Sunderland used! He has played at great levels and he loves to play off the shoulder therefore a more direct approach in games helps bent he is clearly a fantastic finisher as he always seems to score goals. Don't get me wrong he will do a decent job in any system which I think he has shown under Mac, but to get the best out of him we need to be more direct rather then ask him to drop deep and hold the ball up.

Yeah, direct suits Bent (and Vydra, Johnson, Shackell, Anya etc), but it really doesn't suit the likes of Hughes, Butterfield, Bryson, Ince, Keogh and Pearce (And Thorne and Martin as well).  This is the problem McClaren's had, and the one that whoever comes next will have as well - there literally isn't a system that suits this squad of players.  It's such a disorganised mish-mash of a squad that I don't think anyone can pick a balanced XI from it.

Archived