Premiership v Championship

admira

Major honours since 1970:

CHAMPIONSHIP CLUBS:

Derby, Leeds, Forest, Ipswich, Aston Villa, Wolves, Blackburn

3 x European Cups, 2 x UEFA Cups, 7 x top flight titles, 2 x FA Cup, 11 x League Cups, 4 x Charity Shield, 2 x European Super Cups

= 31 trophies

PREMIERSHIP CLUBS:

Hull, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, Watford, Burnley, West Bromwich, Middlesbrough,

1 x League Cup, 1 x Charity Shield

= 2 trophies

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, but it makes no sense to leave out the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal, nevermind the others up there like Man City.

The teams you've mentioned deserve to be there based on their performance in the championship, which is better than ours.

I just don't see the point of the thread, unless you're suggesting that league's shouldn't be based on current ability, but past performance?

Two league titles, two league cups and one charity shield between them clubs in my lifetime, not great and all of them deserve to be where they are.

You will always get larger clubs in the 2nd tier and smaller clubs in the top flight, heck when Derby last won the league Carlisle were in the top flight and Man Utd in the second tier,

We play in 2017 now not on medals won 40 years ago!

Is there actually any point to this?

Why have you chosen the clubs that you have?

Why have you chosen 1970 as the cut off point? 

Why not change 'major honours since 1970' to 'wins in the Premier League since 2007'?

Afraid it's just another thread where we you are trying to convince yourself that we should be in the Premier League based on completely irrelevant factors.

Who won the charity shield for the Premier League teams out of interest?

20 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I know which league is more entertaining 

I also know which league I'd rather be in.

Success over mediocrity please. 

The point of my post was merely to show that there are now a number of Championship clubs with far more relatively recent success than a number of Premiership clubs.

That is all.

Burnley won the Charity Shield in 1973. Not sure why they were in it though.

I didn't include Newcastle as they've won sod all in my lifetime.

2 hours ago, admira said:

The point of my post was merely to show that there are now a number of Championship clubs with far more relatively recent success than a number of Premiership clubs.

That is all.

Burnley won the Charity Shield in 1973. Not sure why they were in it though.

I didn't include Newcastle as they've won sod all in my lifetime.

It should have been Sunderland v Liverpool but both opted out - it was voluntary in those days and not such a big match.  Man City were the holders and played Burnley, the Division 2 champions at Maine Road.  Burnley won 1-0.

4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I know which league is more entertaining 

Well, I don't. So called big games are quite often a boring to watch I'll give you that but then again you can crackers from the games you wouldn't believe it'd possible.

Stats have to start post second war when the game was played more or less as it is now. 

I'd suggest you'd need to include all current PL and Champ clubs - aka 1st and 2nd division the have a look.

it has always been about money and where it comes from. The Northern Industrial towns had a legacy of wealth from industrial prosperity but that has dwindled or completely vanished in some cases. Bolton, Blackpool, Blackburn, Leeds, Sheffield, Old money" that is hard to replace ....while in London there will always be a bigger attraction for new money. 

Archived