As fans do we expect the team to fail?

Ashz09

Last night really annoyed me. We was playing good Football passing it around and moving could of gone 3-4 goals up. Unfortunately their was no Atmosphere at all. It was like we was waiting for the team to fail. Cardiff was singing 'Is this a Library' '2-0 up and you still don't sing'.

Once it became 2-2 we became restless and especially 2-3 the groans started to appear. I started to realize their was no more passing it forward showing confidence in movement etc. The team just started to shy away from wanting the ball like against Bristol when fans were on their backs.

I think away games need to come thick and fast where the pressure of playing at home and expectation of winning or going behind for that matter is too much.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The atmosphere at home is tragic on a good day to be honest, a bit like the players who only start playing when they are losing. We only start making noise, shouting 'come on Derby' when we are down.

Yesterday though, the thing that annoyed me was idiotic fans doing Olay football at 2-0 up half an hour into the first half. Instantly players darent lose the ball and start playing it sidewards (Keoghs dream)...I said to the lad next to me, that arrogance from the fans will come back to bite us, I was right. I bet it riled the Cardiff players up and boy did we see a reaction.

Yeah the atmosphere can be poor some games. Just like players the fans don't seem to get up for it as much in certain games.

I think the fans don't expect failure that's why we moan so much when we do 'fail'. I was in a foul mood last night feeling a bit better this morning. If we expected to fail we wouldn't be as pissed off when we do.

10 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The atmosphere at home is tragic on a good day to be honest, a bit like the players who only start playing when they are losing. We only start making noise, shouting 'come on Derby' when we are down.

Yesterday though, the thing that annoyed me was idiotic fans doing Olay football at 2-0 up half an hour into the first half. Instantly players darent lose the ball and start playing it sidewards (Keoghs dream)...I said to the lad next to me, that arrogance from the fans will come back to bite us, I was right. I bet it riled the Cardiff players up and boy did we see a reaction.

Forgot to add that part that we only seem to wake up when we do go behind. Whether it be getting behind the team or getting our groan and moan faces on. 

9 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Yeah the atmosphere can be poor some games. Just like players the fans don't seem to get up for it as much in certain games.

I think the fans don't expect failure that's why we moan so much when we do 'fail'. I was in a foul mood last night feeling a bit better this morning. If we expected to fail we wouldn't be as pissed off when we do.

I was pissed off too. Left the game and said to the Father I don't feel like renewing this Saturday it's the same **** every season as fans we expect the same **** too. Come around the new year time everything goes tits up and we get our bottlers tag back.

Unfortunately though don't fancy every Saturday with the missus and won't get to see the Father as much. So like pillocks we'll still end up getting season tickets because of love of seeing Derby or seeing family members I'd say the latter..

Come on let's not start making excuses blaming the atmosphere, bottom line is that we are not good enough and we have no consistency, so anybody who at the start of a season expects us to go up is going to be disappointed, so yes perhaps we expect to much ! 

So the fans have once again become the latest scapegoat. Once again, I genuinely don't believe we're any different to any other supporters across the country. I honestly think it would have been difficult to generate any sort of atmosphere at most championship matches on a Tuesday night in February against a team like Cardiff (no offence, I just mean the understandably small travelling support). 

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

So the fans have once again become the latest scapegoat. Once again, I genuinely don't believe we're any different to any other supporters across the country. I honestly think it would have been difficult to generate any sort of atmosphere at most championship matches on a Tuesday night in February against a team like Cardiff (no offence, I just mean the understandably small travelling support). 

Why do we need away fans to generate an atmosphere?

Surely we should be doing that regardless of who we're playing. We might not be any different to other fans, I wouldn't know as I don't attend other grounds each week, but I do know that whenever I visit Pride Park there's a majority who are quick to boo or jeer our boys, but not so fast to sing and cheer. 

2 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Why do we need away fans to generate an atmosphere?

Surely we should be doing that regardless of who we're playing. We might not be any different to other fans, I wouldn't know as I don't attend other grounds each week, but I do know that whenever I visit Pride Park there's a majority who are quick to boo or jeer our boys, but not so fast to sing and cheer. 

Simply because, if you have a reasonable contingent of visiting supporters making a bit of noise the natural reaction is to respond, try and out sing etc. I bet the atmosphere next week, although another Tuesday in February against the smallest team in the league that are struggling, will be better. 

13 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I am certainly not blaming the fans, at the end of the day there would have been no moaning if we had played for 90 minutes how we did in the first 40.

Surely anyone can see how the negativity, moaning and booing effects our football though?

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Simply because, if you have a reasonable contingent of visiting supporters making a bit of noise the natural reaction is to respond, try and out sing etc. I bet the atmosphere next week, although another Tuesday in February against the smallest team in the league that are struggling, will be better. 

I get that, chants going back and forth, all adds to the atmosphere. But we shouldn't be blaming the lack of noise from our fans on the fact the opposition is deemed unworthy. I just think Derby fans should sing and chant for Derby players, regardless of the opposition, that's how an atmosphere opposing teams don't want to play in gets made.

I fully expect teams who come here are told to keep us in check for the opening 20, and soon the crowd will get on their backs, because IMO we almost inevitably do.  

The atmosphere of the 13-14 season where Pride Park was rocking each week has been replaced by the expectant grumps who demand clean sheets, goals, and victory each week. 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I am certainly not blaming the fans, at the end of the day there would have been no moaning if we had played for 90 minutes how we did in the first 40.

Surely anyone can see how the negativity, moaning and booing effects our football though?

But you're not blaming the fans? 

I agree regarding booing and moaning (said several times that I would never boo the team) but my response was regarding lack of atmosphere. 

13 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

But you're not blaming the fans? 

I agree regarding booing and moaning (said several times that I would never boo the team) but my response was regarding lack of atmosphere. 

Lack of atmosphere should not be a reason for players not performing.

I am not aware of any ground in the country that has a good atmosphere week in week out.

To quote Warnock after their win at the weekend:-

"We had to be on top of our game really and I thought the first 20 minutes were really helpful, we quietened the crowd a little bit and didn’t give them much space in midfield to pick the holes, which they’re very good at."

Warnock after the win last night:-

"But we sensed a nervousness and a little bit of apprehension around the place - and we thought if we could get the next goal, the game was there to be won, never mind the draw."

Says it all really doesn't it? They aim to make the crowd quiet but even though we was winning we failed to get behind the team. They score their manager sees how nervous we are like we know we are going to lose. As fans it's like we expect to draw or lose. 

Expectation I think wish we could get back the days of wanting the play-offs rather then expecting to be there.

I don't think the atmosphere plays a huge part in giving away a two goal lead, but generally speaking the atmosphere at PPS is pretty poor. At 2-0 up you would expect the so-called singing stand to be bouncing and it was deadly quiet apart from about 20 fans in the top left hand corner trying to make themselves heard.  The other stands are dead too, but they haven't been tagged as the place to be if you want to sing.  Frankly, I think its a bit embarrassing at times when we are outsung by a couple of bus fulls of folk.  It was a good idea, but the SS has been poorly executed for whatever reason.  Fair play to those who do try though, it must be frustrating.

I sit in the East Stand and we're lucky if two chants get going over the 90 minutes. I think the ES has become a place for moaners in chief to sit.. and they don't expect failure, but they blummin' well love it when we do fail. Comedy routines come out left, right and centre, getting their pet hatred of players off their chest, cheering misplaced passes, the lot. 

I don't think there is an expectation of failure - probably the opposite. I just think that Derby fans are more reactive than proactive and need something to spark them into life.  However, when you're expecting to be winning games easily, it doesn't get people that excited just to be winning.  In that, I imagine we aren't too different to a lot of 'bigger' clubs.

5 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I don't think the atmosphere plays a huge part in giving away a two goal lead, but generally speaking the atmosphere at PPS is pretty poor. At 2-0 up you would expect the so-called singing stand to be bouncing and it was deadly quiet apart from about 20 fans in the top left hand corner trying to make themselves heard.  The other stands are dead too, but they haven't been tagged as the place to be if you want to sing.  Frankly, I think its a bit embarrassing at times when we are outsung by a couple of bus fulls of folk.  It was a good idea, but the SS has been poorly executed for whatever reason.  Fair play to those who do try though, it must be frustrating.

I sit in the East Stand and we're lucky if two chants get going over the 90 minutes. I think the ES has become a place for moaners in chief to sit.. and they don't expect failure, but they blummin' well love it when we do fail. Comedy routines come out left, right and centre, getting their pet hatred of players off their chest, cheering misplaced passes, the lot. 

I don't think there is an expectation of failure - probably the opposite. I just think that Derby fans are more reactive than proactive and need something to spark them into life.  However, when you're expecting to be winning games easily, it doesn't get people that excited just to be winning.  In that, I imagine we aren't too different to a lot of 'bigger' clubs.

I see it more as a 'presumption of winning', which is felt across the stands and players at matches and esssbtially we are not good enough to have it. To play and feel like that you need to earn it and we haven't done that since the play off final season

Archived