Last time we had 3 full England internationals in the squad?

admira

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

When was the last time we had current internationals though?. Nugent's England career was about as long as Seth Johnsons.

Ironically ...

"On 19 March 2007, following much speculation after Steve McClaren confirmed he had been watching Nugent, David was called into the full England squad to replace the injured Darren Bent of Charlton Athletic"

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, admira said:

Probably Shilton and Wright was the last time we had more than one.

Yes, we also had another full england international too at the same time but wasn't a current one. Nick Pickering.

24 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

I'm lucky I can remember when we had current England internationals.

Ah, bit is that such a good thing. England are, after all, a bit crap. We probably ought to be prouder of the two (until recently 3) current Irish internationals we have.

i mean with the star of England for the past two decades, it's like saying 'woo goo, we have three ex-Albanian internationals'.

it was genuinely very exciting when we had two Croatian internationals in the team. Why is having England internationals in the team any more or less exciting than having any other internationals?

Just now, TigerTedd said:

Ah, bit is that such a good thing. England are, after all, a bit crap. We probably ought to be prouder of the two (until recently 3) current Irish internationals we have.

i mean with the star of England for the past two decades, it's like saying 'woo goo, we have three ex-Albanian internationals'.

it was genuinely very exciting when we had two Croatian internationals in the team. Why is having England internationals in the team any more or less exciting than having any other internationals?

Probably because most of our fans are English?

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

England may or may not have been a bit crap at times but trust me McFarland ,Todd and Hector were not.I was privileged to see them play.

1 minute ago, EnigmaRam said:

I imagine it will be some time until we have 3 current England internationals

I wonder who the lowest finishing team (in the league structure) to have 3 current England internationals (played that season) in history are? 

Get on it @admira

19 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

England may or may not have been a bit crap at times but trust me McFarland ,Todd and Hector were not.I was privileged to see them play.

Of course. Didn't mean your examples per se. Weight and Shilton were also worthy of mention here. Just got me thinking, why is it such a big deal these days?

and, yes, I get that we're English, so it's a nice / relevant bit of trivia, but it's not necessarily a measure of a team's quality. I'd rather have a team with 6 German or Spanish internationals in it than 6 English internationals, for example. 

(I'd obviously rather have a team of 11 local lads winning the premier league every season, but I'm a realist and chances of that are slim, so I'll settle for 6 Spanish internationals and 1 local lad (Hughes)). 

Also, not knocking Carson, Bent or Nugent, at this level they're brilliant to have. The thread just got me wondering, is all. 

1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

Of course. Didn't mean your examples per se. Weight and Shilton were also worthy of mention here. Just got me thinking, why is it such a big deal these days?

and, yes, I get that we're English, so it's a nice / relevant bit of trivia, but it's not necessarily a measure of a team's quality. I'd rather have a team with 6 German or Spanish internationals in it than 6 English internationals, for example. 

(I'd obviously rather have a team of 11 local lads winning the premier league every season, but I'm a realist and chances of that are slim, so I'll settle for 6 Spanish internationals and 1 local lad (Hughes)). 

Also, not knocking Carson, Bent or Nugent, at this level they're brilliant to have. The thread just got me wondering, is all. 

For me nostalgia really regarding the old [then current ]internationals I seem to recall we had a team of current internationals at one time .I do know where you are coming from . 

PistoldPete2
48 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

For me nostalgia really regarding the old [then current ]internationals I seem to recall we had a team of current internationals at one time .I do know where you are coming from . 

We had a few reggae boyz at one time didn't we?

Archived