Jonjo Shelvey

unclej

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, unclej said:

Pivotal player for the Magpies. Banned for five games.  The beginning of the toon wobble; mark my words!   

Not really. 

On 24 December 2016 at 12:54, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Not really. 

On 24 December 2016 at 13:18, Dimmu said:

Shelvey is easily replaced but losing Diame actually forces them to change tactics little bit. Mitrovic is probably getting his chance so not sure does it make them really weaker.

Both incorrect - Newcastle absolutely do not work without him. He is pivotal to how they play and is better at controlling games than every other midfielder in his position in this league. Only prejudice/bias against him would stop you seeing that. 

it was so evident last night against the wendies. The Geordies looked absolutely inept. They could not keep the ball. They had all the attacking flair you could want but nothing through the middle. Newcastle will struggle massively without him...

Brighton to be top by the time he returns from suspension. 

5 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Taking Loftus-cheek on loan(trying to).

He would be a massive signing for them.

Should be elsewhere in premier league on loan tbf. 

31 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Should be elsewhere in premier league on loan tbf. 

The aricle was in the mail and it did say about him going to a premiership club.

I lazily picked Newcastle out as the only team who were named,but yes,I agree wasted in the championship(unless he played for us of course).

4 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Both incorrect - Newcastle absolutely do not work without him. He is pivotal to how they play and is better at controlling games than every other midfielder in his position in this league. Only prejudice/bias against him would stop you seeing that. 

it was so evident last night against the wendies. The Geordies looked absolutely inept. They could not keep the ball. They had all the attacking flair you could want but nothing through the middle. Newcastle will struggle massively without him...

Brighton to be top by the time he returns from suspension. 

If Wednesday continues to play like yesterday, they won't a point rest of the season...

Dwight Gayle is pivotal, not Shelvey. Stop him scoring and you always have a chance to win the game. We have better controlling midfielders in our team.

I think we agree Shelvey is an important player for Newcastle and his absence could open the door for us. However for Derby January is a key month with away games at Norwich and Leeds and a home game against Reading. Hopefully we  can get some full backs fit , and make a few good signings sufficient to edge us closer to second place.

19 hours ago, Dimmu said:

If Wednesday continues to play like yesterday, they won't a point rest of the season...

Dwight Gayle is pivotal, not Shelvey. Stop him scoring and you always have a chance to win the game. We have better controlling midfielders in our team.

No offence but I disagree so much with this. Yes it's helpful having an in form striker but they have plenty of attacking talent. They have no other midfielder able to perform the role of Shelvey. He was a class above our whole midfield including Hughes when they played us. Just because he's a thug he doesn't get the credit he deserves at times. 

(Disclaimer: that doesn't mean Hughes can't be better than him in the future)

3 hours ago, Harrowram said:

I think we agree Shelvey is an important player for Newcastle and his absence could open the door for us. However for Derby January is a key month with away games at Norwich and Leeds and a home game against Reading. Hopefully we  can get some full backs fit , and make a few good signings sufficient to edge us closer to second place.

Those 3 games you mention will make or break our season.

If we lose them all (like we lost at norwich, home to boro, drew home to watford 2 seasons ago) then we will be playing catchup until May to get into the top 6.

7 points however will give me a lot of confidence that we can stay top 6 until May.

Beating and not losing to teams around you can be the difference come end of the season. We lost to Huddesrfield and Newcastle, but have beat Leeds and Wednesday at the halfway point. Brighton Reading and Fulham havent beaten us either.

5 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

No offence but I disagree so much with this. Yes it's helpful having an in form striker but they have plenty of attacking talent. They have no other midfielder able to perform the role of Shelvey. He was a class above our whole midfield including Hughes when they played us. Just because he's a thug he doesn't get the credit he deserves at times. 

(Disclaimer: that doesn't mean Hughes can't be better than him in the future)

It's fine @IlsonDerby. You just rate him more than I do.

Couple points: Yes, Shelvey were better than our midfielders that day but during Pearson's time we managed to make Blackburn and Burton look like worldbeaters. IMO he gets more credit than he deserves (not Pearson, he gets here more credit than he should. Bit like Shelvey).

Of course I'm biased. Everyone is. If Shelvey is best controlling midfielder in this league, I'm wrong. If he ain't, you're biased. Simples.

Game of opinions, that's why it is so popular. BTW I'll still stick with my opinion :p

19 hours ago, Dimmu said:

It's fine @IlsonDerby. You just rate him more than I do.

Couple points: Yes, Shelvey were better than our midfielders that day but during Pearson's time we managed to make Blackburn and Burton look like worldbeaters. IMO he gets more credit than he deserves (not Pearson, he gets here more credit than he should. Bit like Shelvey).

Of course I'm biased. Everyone is. If Shelvey is best controlling midfielder in this league, I'm wrong. If he ain't, you're biased. Simples.

Game of opinions, that's why it is so popular. BTW I'll still stick with my opinion :p

Fair enough! What makes you think he's over rated if you don't mind me asking? 

Even in the premier league I thought he was brilliant for Swansea.

Archived