Any vinyl experts out there?

richinspain

I bought a copy of Fugazi by Marillion on it's release in 1984, obviously on vinyl as cds didn't exist then. I bought it in a "reputable" shop (Woolworths in Dudley, hence the "reputable") and when I played it discovered that the first two tracks on the B side, "She Chameleon" and "Incubus", were swapped around. I assumed it was a printing error but when many of my friends bought their copies those two tracks were in the correct order. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could have happened? Somebody went to an awful lot of trouble if it was an illegal copy.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely they're all pressed from a master copy. Maybe there was a previous master copy, with tracks in the wrong order, and a few got pressed before they decided to swap them. Probably worth millions. Take it to the next Antiques Roadshow.

A mate of mine, donkey's years ago (late 60's - 70's), worked for EMI at Abbey Road and was a sort of quality engineer. He had the final say on whether the master was the best available final product, given the original recording material. As such, he managed to acquire a 'complimentary' copy of one of the first pressings (all classical or big band) of anything that came through the studio.

These were all unlabelled, and often only pressed on one side, and kept in plain brown wrappers, with some numbering system on the cover. He then had a note book which was an index to every recording he had.

Bearing in mind that tapes used to come in from all over the world, his collection had stuff that never saw the light of day in this country. Must have been priceless. Lost touch with him years ago and don't know if he's still alive, so I can't ask his opinion.Sorry.

9 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Surely they're all pressed from a master copy. Maybe there was a previous master copy, with tracks in the wrong order, and a few got pressed before they decided to swap them. Probably worth millions. Take it to the next Antiques Roadshow.

A mate of mine, donkey's years ago (late 60's - 70's), worked for EMI at Abbey Road and was a sort of quality engineer. He had the final say on whether the master was the best available final product, given the original recording material. As such, he managed to acquire a 'complimentary' copy of one of the first pressings (all classical or big band) of anything that came through the studio.

These were all unlabelled, and often only pressed on one side, and kept in plain brown wrappers, with some numbering system on the cover. He then had a note book which was an index to every recording he had.

Bearing in mind that tapes used to come in from all over the world, his collection had stuff that never saw the light of day in this country. Must have been priceless. Lost touch with him years ago and don't know if he's still alive, so I can't ask his opinion.Sorry.

That's pretty much what I thought. Don't think it'll be worth millions :blink:. I have still got it, along with all my other vinyl discs (only the odd 7" single but quite a few 12"). Unfortunately Antiques Roadshow doesn't pass through Valencia very often to be able to ask them.

4 minutes ago, richinspain said:

That's pretty much what I thought. Don't think it'll be worth millions :blink:. I have still got it, along with all my other vinyl discs (only the odd 7" single but quite a few 12"). Unfortunately Antiques Roadshow doesn't pass through Valencia very often to be able to ask them.

Sad update to all this. I've just discovered that Dave (such was his name) passed away only a few days ago. Shocked, I can tell you.

Anyway, I should hang on to it, just in case you can get a valuation sometime. Must be a rarity

9 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Sad update to all this. I've just discovered that Dave (such was his name) passed away only a few days ago. Shocked, I can tell you.

Anyway, I should hang on to it, just in case you can get a valuation sometime. Must be a rarity

Sorry to hear that. I've been meaning to ask for ages. Pity I didn't do so before, maybe you could have got back in touch before he passed away. :(

27 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

What's happened to his record collection?

34 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

What's happened to his record collection?

Dunno. I've sent a message of condolence to his widow, but it's not a subject I would raise, at least, not immediately. Interesting question really, it must be unique.

3 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Dunno. I've sent a message of condolence to his widow, but it's not a subject I would raise, at least, not immediately. Interesting question really, it must be unique.

It would. Bit of a treasure trove. Not just from the financial perspective 

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Sad to say it looks like all the UK first pressings were cocked up this way, and there are loads for sale on discogs for little more than a few quid

https://www.discogs.com/Marillion-Fugazi/release/861453

That's the mystery solved anyway, thanks. Suppose I'd better get some work done then instead of telling my boss to do one :(

I love Fish. I've got all his Marillion albums and 12" singles, and all of his solo albums. Those Marillion albums still sound as fresh today as they did 30 years ago. Lost touch with Marillion post fish. Their first album was really good but after that I don't think I've listened to more than a couple of tracks.

12 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I love Fish. I've got all his Marillion albums and 12" singles, and all of his solo albums. Those Marillion albums still sound as fresh today as they did 30 years ago. Lost touch with Marillion post fish. Their first album was really good but after that I don't think I've listened to more than a couple of tracks.

I met Fish at Rock City on their 'Script' tour - it was the time he was performing in full makeup, so when we spotted a large bloke with a silver fish earring watching the support act, we took a punt and went over for a chat - nice bloke - talked with him for about 10 minutes about how we'd seen them at the Theakston Music Festival and how we liked the album and then we all slated EMI and said they needed to do a lot more to promote the band - just before he introduced us to the other bloke sitting with him - who worked for EMI....

Archived