Safe Standing

Howard Canitbé

4 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

Sigh. I said I was thinking out loud not putting a bloody manifesto together.

There are people in there who aren't interested in singing and there for cheap tickets. There are some who want to sit not stand.A "reorganisation" would allow those wanting to sing and stand to gather together in a specific area, with those there for cheaper tickets to move together too.

My end goal would be to get people wanting to sing but don't in H Block for example, closer to those in D Block, if they wanted to be. Thereby increasing numbers, which increases volume, which increases consistency, which builds the atmosphere.

Not saying it IS needed, but I was interested to see if people thought it would be an attractive opportunity.

okay, I get that, but pricing shouldn't come into it. Also, it's technically illegal to segregate or discriminate against people, and telling someone they cannot be a certain place because they don't sing wouldn't be acceptable. Similarly, you wouldn't be able to stop families going in that area too.

Sadly, the days of specific areas 'by design' are long gone and have to happen organically.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure that's true Mostyn, I think there are quite a few examples of clubs designating areas as "singing sections", that was how the whole South Stand move got started IIRC, it just never got executed properly.

http://72andbelow.co.uk/tag/huddersfield-town-south-stand-singing-section/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2616879/Man-United-announce-permanent-singing-section-improve-Old-Trafford-atmosphere.html

It's not about telling people they can't go somewhere, but that there are certain expectations they should have of sitting/standing there, and expectations other fans in that area will have of them.

As for families, that's up to the individual, but they would be aware that noise and the potential for standing is much higher, if they decide to sit there regardless, then they have made a conscious decision to be part of it. 

14 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

Not sure that's true Mostyn, I think there are quite a few examples of clubs designating areas as "singing sections", that was how the whole South Stand move got started IIRC, it just never got executed properly.

http://72andbelow.co.uk/tag/huddersfield-town-south-stand-singing-section/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2616879/Man-United-announce-permanent-singing-section-improve-Old-Trafford-atmosphere.html

It's not about telling people they can't go somewhere, but that there are certain expectations they should have of sitting/standing there, and expectations other fans in that area will have of them.

As for families, that's up to the individual, but they would be aware that noise and the potential for standing is much higher, if they decide to sit there regardless, then they have made a conscious decision to be part of it. 

you miss my point. You want to reorganise by moving/separating those that sing and those that don't. This can be advertised but NOT enforced.

8 hours ago, The 1884 Group said:

Curious to gauge opinion. This isn't going to happen anytime soon, I'm just interested to see responses.

How would you feel if the South Stand was made one price band across the whole thing and turned into general admission?

So your season ticket would get you in, but you didn't have a reserved seat or standing space.

On one hand, I know people like having a set space for every game, but on the other hand, surely it would allow people to gather together in areas that worked for them, allow people who sing all game to get closer together. 

Terraces always used to be general admission, and while I know rail seating gives you a specific place I just wonder how people feel about it now?

I think it'd be a great idea.

May even encourage people to get into the stand early and start the singing off, practice a few new songs etc. That's what used to happen on the Popside.

Just have to turn that horrendous row from the sound system off.......

Needs to happen.

Infact it makes me quite mad that they can have it in Germany, and we cant.

Or possibly even more mad that standing at a concert is ok, standing at Rugby League is ok.

Standing at Football in league 1 and 2 is ok, but its not ok for the championship or Premier league.

FGS Do me a favour!!!!

Tthat damn hillsbrough case and its several retrials and the sensitivity to the familes seems to be the only thing stopping this.

As others have pointed out everything is better now, entrances, exits, stairs, security, surveilence so the case for not havijng rail seats, against everyone standing in a seated area anyway is simply pathetic.

In an ideal world in terms of atmosphere you would want unreserved safe standing so like minded people can stand together and move around from game to game. But even the big brother world we now live in whether every fan needs a customer number, and every fan needs an allocated seat even for U21 and Reserve games, this should and is very possible.

1 hour ago, philmycock said:

Need to make blocks D, E & F upper singing blocks and move everyone that doesn't sing, everyone! 

Why everyone? People who paid their money to sit where they like, it's their RIGHT to choose what they want. 

On 10/10/2016 at 13:33, Mostyn6 said:

you miss my point. You want to reorganise by moving/separating those that sing and those that don't. This can be advertised but NOT enforced.

Can I be in charge of the cattle-prod to be used on folk who don't join in with the singing? - obviously need a sliding scale of punishment for those that don't sing at all; those that sing quietly; and those that sing loudly but don't know the words....

Archived