Computer fraud - Microsoft?

Tony Le Mesmer

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a phone call asking for my bank account details as they had my money from a PPI claim .The subsequent conversation went like this .

Me -I haven't had a PPI claim ,you must think I am stupid ,no chance of my details .

Them-We need it to put your money in ,He then starts swearing

Me- If you were legitimate you wouldn't be swearing you [tirade of swear words]

Them- why are you giving me this ****

Me- I then tell him that I will find him and seriously damage his health 

Them- There is then another voice on the line  saying put the phone down quick .

Absolute tossers .

Data is big business. An email address may only be worth a fraction of a penny but with databases of millions of addresses it's serious money. Add some personal information like health information or location and that data becomes even more valuable. Add bank info and it's a gold mine. 

When sending out a phishing attack the hacker is looking for a large number of targets and works on the laws of probability. He'll work with millions of potential targets and if a fraction of a percentage get through, it'll make thousands or tens of thousands of successes. 

A new variant of phishing is spear phishing. Instead of targeting millions of accounts they aim for big targets - one success against a large corporate is potentially worth more than the sum of thousands of small targets. They will send emails claiming to be a significant person in a business to others in the same company. Say an email alleging to be from the CEO to the finance director asking for an invoice to be settled asap. Of course the attached pdf is actually a virus and bang! you're hit.

And hackers are now evolving how they work. Previously they were interested in your banking details etc. More and more though they realise that the person who most values your data is you. They find ways to infect your files and hold them to ransom, only uninfecting them once you pay - without their unencryption keys you have no data. Millions of pounds are lost to these scams.

When you see how they operate it's scary. You know everything is now sold as a cloud "service" - software as a service, information as a service etc: now there us ransomware as a service. For a few hundred pounds worth of bitcoin you can access the software made to perform these scams, they operate like a professional business so you have technical support and everything you would expect from a business - it's a world of its own.

I feel sorry for the people caught out, sometimes these scammers are very plausible.

I've heard of a case recently where a very tech savvy, massively experienced businessman fell for a scam and was persuaded to hand over millions to someone masquerading as a football manager.

40 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I feel sorry for the people caught out, sometimes these scammers are very plausible.

I've heard of a case recently where a very tech savvy, massively experienced businessman fell for a scam and was persuaded to hand over millions to someone masquerading as a football manager.

What about the experienced international football manager who fell for a scam trying to swindle money around to rich businessmen eh?

5 hours ago, Inglorius said:

I had an email from a Nigerian businessman who wanted me to send them 10 grand to invest in a platinum mine in Lagos does this count and should I send him the money. 

Go for it.

Archived