Computer fraud - Microsoft?

Tony Le Mesmer

Just wondered if any of you have ever been contacted by someone claiming they are from Microsoft and that your computer is at risk from a virus which they need to fix remotely? I had a call this morning and was listening the guy (indian I think and sounded like he was in a busy call centre which made me think it could be genuine). The bloke was trying to talk me through steps to sort this out but after opening up my run program box I twigged and asked him for his name and a phone number and I could ring him back and go through it. He kept on insisting that I continue with his demands so I hung up.

Anyone had this? I know zero about computers and surprised that I was on the phone 5 minutes before twigging. Fortunately I got away with it but don't let it happen to you.

Apparently it is quite common?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Just wondered if any of you have ever been contacted by someone claiming they are from Microsoft and that your computer is at risk from a virus which they need to fix remotely? I had a call this morning and was listening the guy (indian I think and sounded like he was in a busy call centre which made me think it could be genuine). The bloke was trying to talk me through steps to sort this out but after opening up my run program box I twigged and asked him for his name and a phone number and I could ring him back and go through it. He kept on insisting that I continue with his demands so I hung up.

Anyone had this? I know zero about computers and surprised that I was on the phone 5 minutes before twigging. Fortunately I got away with it but don't let it happen to you.

Apparently it is quite common?

I get them calling every other month, I like to string them along and see what point they will hang up :lol:

Last one was going through how they knew there was something wrong with my computer, when I just casually dropped in that I didn't realise that Microsoft could access my Apple computer. Told another that I was concerned that someone knew something was wrong my computer without an internet connection, and asked him if he had been peeping through my window. Think next time going to say I have 3 computers set up and see if they can tell me which computer is the one they are on about. :lol:

Yeah playing with them is quite fun if you have the time.

My favourite is when they ask for my password and I tell them it is "youareascammingc***"

At that point they either realise they've been rumbled, or they try helplessly to use it as a password and get cross when it doesn't work.

Working in IT support myself - I also like to act as thoroughly retarded as some of the worst users and see how far I can stretch their patience :)

anybody gets scammed I will rip them a new one on your behalf, we do laugh about how inept they are but unfortunately many OAP's fall for this and the likes of Google, Microsoft and BT spend the equivalent of 1.2% of profits for crude security, soft phones should be banned in the UK and fixed IP location should be adhered to for access to banking, we are woefully short on protection for the most vulnerable in our society regarding internet usage.

35 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

I love it when they ring, always have a play with them.

Also...

Dozy bint.

Hahahaha so funny this! :lol:

Obviously being conned isn't but come on! "He asked me to go down the post office and transfer 5 grand by moneygram and I didn't think anything of it" she says nonchalantly. Flamin' eck.

What I don't get though is when she says she opened up her computer because they said there was '' on it and she did and there was. How is this possible? Unless it's the dirty hubby sat looking sheepish behind her who had accessed it then how is it possible for someone externally to just put something like or anything onto your computer?

Bit like Alan Partridge in his travel tavern asking the receptionist if she make porm come on his telly! :blink:

Bit scary if this can be done.

Internet and computers. More trouble than they're worth.

Can remote desktop and do it if you have been foolish enough to leave things open and been caught out with phishing.

She is dozy as hell, going and paying another lot at a different post office :D

Her bloke is blatantly the one watching , as dodgy as Ron Hayward 64x80xron.png.pagespeed.ic.SPn2zzcH-1.pn

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2602504/Pensioners-72-75-charged-900-Virgin-watching--claim-didnt-order-five-year-battle-media-giant.html

26 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

Can remote desktop and do it if you have been foolish enough to leave things open and been caught out with phishing.

She is dozy as hell, going and paying another lot at a different post office :D

Her bloke is blatantly the one watching , as dodgy as Ron Hayward 64x80xron.png.pagespeed.ic.SPn2zzcH-1.pn

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2602504/Pensioners-72-75-charged-900-Virgin-watching--claim-didnt-order-five-year-battle-media-giant.html

What is 'phishing' Ric? I've got Kaspersky on my device and I just presumed that would take care of things without me needing to know the ins and outs of all this technology guff but any advice to further protect myself online i'd be grateful for.

Phishing is where someone or some program tries to get your details by pretending to be someone/something it isn't

A typical old skool phishing email will be one that looks like it came from your bank telling you that you need to change your password

Except it didn't come from your bank, and the link in the email will not go to your bank either - it will take you to a fake website that looks like your bank. You put your password in - they get a copy of your password and then redirect you to the actual bank website and more often than not you won't even notice

Most email providers filter this rubbish out these days though

most anti-virus software are actually viruses, the ones that are not render your machines unusable, industry standard anti-virus software that I have used for eons without fault is NOD32 (ESET) which doesn't slow your machine down and is pretty quick with new viruses, the worst one I have used is Norton, that was tragic.

Theres a lot of Apple (well fake) emails going out at the moment trying to catch people out.

appleinvoice_3480998b.jpg

Looks real, people go on **** better click the refund button and thats when information is passed back to the person sending them out.

A lot of the time the easiest way to tell is just looking at the email address as they are usually a load of numbers and letters rather than 'sales@apple.com' for example.

if you are using Gmail/Hotmail type email addresses you should increase your security filter, you can filter out scam nations by restricting IP Locations and only accept incoming emails from your safe senders list, I was sent an email from some spammy email address something like @dcfcfans.uk which always hits my spam folder, I wasn't concerned because it was probably about another ban :ph34r:

12 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

Theres a lot of Apple (well fake) emails going out at the moment trying to catch people out.

appleinvoice_3480998b.jpg

Looks real, people go on **** better click the refund button and thats when information is passed back to the person sending them out.

A lot of the time the easiest way to tell is just looking at the email address as they are usually a load of numbers and letters rather than 'sales@apple.com' for example.

my mate posted one on facebook which was appie.com, not apple.

Archived