Newcastle have a huge squad, it's so unfair......

Day

Just now, toddy said:

If we take all the under 23's out of the equation (Lowe,  Elsnik, Bennett) what squad size do we have?

Really trying aren't you?

Lowe, Rawson, Elsnik listed in the first team that you could argue are U23's.

Newcastle have Rolando Aarons, Emmanuel Riviera (set to join Osasuna)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having a bigger budget has always given the team an advantage, wonder where Chelsea would be without the Russian.

Man city and Utd all up there because of the money spent, success cannot be bought? 

You bet it can.

Are we jealous, I bet most are.

7 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

It's almost as if you didn't read my post.

You've just further backed up my position, that they're just far too big for this league.

"What they've done wrong" is be so ******* badly run they managed to get relegated despite being bigger than half the clubs in the prem. They're not doing anything wrong right now, theyre entirely within their rights (as I have always said), its just bad for the league imo. 

I did read your post, and was just bringing up what I find funny is that they haven't touched parachute payments, wasn't arguing anything at all.

1 minute ago, David said:

I did read your post, and was just bringing up what I find funny is that they haven't touched parachute payments, wasn't arguing anything at all.

Fair enough. Apologies.

Yeah, the fact they haven't touched parachute payments is testament to how much talent they managed to get relegated with :lol:

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Fair enough. Apologies.

Yeah, the fact they haven't touched parachute payments is testament to how much talent they managed to get relegated with :lol:

Norwich haven't touched them either tho.

Not trying to justify them, would rather it was scrapped and distributed down the leagues, 2 clubs have shown it's not really needed, the recent FFP changes are enough for clubs to bounce back up or get their house in order. 

I'll throw this in here. Ipswich finished 2 places behind us last season, just sold Murphy for £3m, the replacement? Leon Best.

Only spent £1.5m this summer, 400k last season, 100k season before, £0 season before that.

Now that's a club that may look on with green eyes. We've spent more than Ipswich this summer than they have in the last 7 seasons. 

2 places behind us in the league last season.

44 minutes ago, David said:

Funny thing is they haven't even had to touch the parachute payment money, 11 in 10 out, £56m sold, £55m spent and you would imagine the wage bill is looking far healthier plus you would imagine there is some kind of contribution to the wages of the 3 out on loan.

I'm honestly not sure what people think they have done wrong here, it's been a very sensible summer for Newcastle.

Yes parachute payments can make it harder for clubs to compete but as we've seen Newcastle haven't touched any, Villa have spent £38m and sold £16m, Norwich spent £10.5m and sold £12m. 

Can't we/ I just just despise Newcastle for being owned by Sports Direct & sponsored by Wonga ?

Newcastle have actually done fantastic job of getting rid of the unwanted and the I am to good/scarred for the championship brigade, so far I believe they are  actually making a profit. Thier team may well walk the league if they click and are fortunate with injuries ( which we never were) or they may work out as they want but they do seem to have covered all there bases with the squad they have established.

villa I am not so sure about at all but Norwich really just need a goal scorer and they are set good as well. 

It could be argued that if we had the financial backing we got now  and had it under Mac 2nd season, we might not have fell away the way we did.

We had one injury after another but didn't have the squad indepth to deal with them.

2 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

No, but 24 teams start out at the beginning of August hoping to get promoted and if one team like Newcastle are in the mix, it possibly leaves only 2 places available.

How many from the 24 genuinely believe they have a realistic chance of finishing top 6, replace Newcastle with say Watford if it makes it fairer.

If you look at last season, Burnley on 93 points, they had a 24pt gap on Ipswich in 7th with a net spend of £4m

Yeah like previous posts have said, my problem aint with newcastle directly, its with the premier league! Its all set up so the relegated clubs bounce straight back up again! The parachute payments will/are creating a premier league mark 2 in the championship. Itll be the same clubs, with the money going up and down and then youll have the rest of the football league not being able to compete unless they get bought by rich owners who will invest.

Scudamores wet dream is to have no relegation and pomotion from/to the premier league, so they can build up the 20 clubs profiles abroad and sell the tv rights!

Facts are Mel/Rush/Clement/who ever it was has put back the club several years for that god awful transfer policy in 2015-16.

Every player bar possibly Carson and Olsson was over price/overpaid and will be stook with Bent, Blackman, Johnson until their contract ends as no-one will be stupid enough to pick them up.

12 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

Every player bar possibly Carson and Olsson was over price/overpaid 

Ince, Butterfield were fair prices when you look at the current market, Camara could be a bargain and Baird was free so can't complain at that.

Blackman we could easily recoup what we paid, same with Weimann. 

Shackell looks expensive for his age and Johnson hasn't exactly looked great value.

Any club newly relegated is always going to be a candidate for going straight back up.If it wasnt Newcastle it would have been some one else.

The fact they are spending shows their intent but as we know doesnt guarantee anything.If they hadnt spent,sure they would have still been most peoples favorite to bounce straight back up anyway,so does it really change anything for any one else in the division.

No ones going to make it easy for us toget promoted and if Newcastle were the only team we lost against this season i wouldnt give a damm if they had Messiin the team.

Lets concentrate on are own squad rather than others,we have the ability,experience,support and faciities to cope better than most in this leauge but most of all we have an owner with ambition

12 hours ago, David said:

A lot has been said about Newcastle in this transfer window, how many players do they want, they are signing everyone, it's not fair, oh look they've signed another one the Geordie McDucks, I would eat Mike Ashley given half a chance.

Thought I would get my fingers and toes out, throw up a little comparison of the size of our squad v Newcastle in numbers.

Note how I'm only talking about size, not quality. 

Goalkeepers
Newcastle - 3
Derby - 4

Defenders
Newcastle - 8
Derby - 9

Midfielders
Newcastle - 9
Derby - 9

Forwards
Newcastle - 5
Derby - 7

These are taken from each clubs official sites which you may not agree with their positions such as Forsyth being listed as a midfielder.

Time still left in the window but I'm not seeing this huge squad that Newcastle have compared to us.

Quality wise, yes they may have better options available but 24 seasons of the Premier League they have spent just 2 outside of it, Captain Obvious isn't needed to understand why this is.

Now I can understand if clubs further down the table feeling a little green eyed but us?....nah, we had how fun last summer and we've just spent £8m on just one player, that's more than 19 clubs in this league have spent in total!

Baird, though. 

We have to face facts. For any upper Championship/ Premiership player looking to resurrect their career, Newcastle is seen as a bigger stepping stone. Couple that with 50,000+ crowds, it's a bit of a no-brainer that if us or them come calling, the pro response would be to go with them.

If you compared it to any company you may consider joining for a job, would you go blue-chip or fading glory? That's where we're at for the moment. Plus, despite Mel's wodges of cash, I'm guessing Newcastle still pay more.

We need to find different targets. Strange that all our targets are snapped up by either Newcastle or Villa.

Anybody would think their agents were touting them around the biggest perceived payers in our division.

Outrageous suggestion I know. Would never happen....

Archived