Newcastle have a huge squad, it's so unfair......

Day

A lot has been said about Newcastle in this transfer window, how many players do they want, they are signing everyone, it's not fair, oh look they've signed another one the Geordie McDucks, I would eat Mike Ashley given half a chance.

Thought I would get my fingers and toes out, throw up a little comparison of the size of our squad v Newcastle in numbers.

Note how I'm only talking about size, not quality. 

Goalkeepers
Newcastle - 3
Derby - 4

Defenders
Newcastle - 8
Derby - 9

Midfielders
Newcastle - 9
Derby - 9

Forwards
Newcastle - 5
Derby - 7

These are taken from each clubs official sites which you may not agree with their positions such as Forsyth being listed as a midfielder.

Time still left in the window but I'm not seeing this huge squad that Newcastle have compared to us.

Quality wise, yes they may have better options available but 24 seasons of the Premier League they have spent just 2 outside of it, Captain Obvious isn't needed to understand why this is.

Now I can understand if clubs further down the table feeling a little green eyed but us?....nah, we had how fun last summer and we've just spent £8m on just one player, that's more than 19 clubs in this league have spent in total!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CHCDerby said:

The worse thing to happen for 23 other teams in the Championship was for Newcastle to get relegated last season and for Benitiez to stay.

23 clubs in this league were never going to put up a serious challenge for top 6 never mind top 2 regardless of who came down.

1 minute ago, toddy said:

Murphy is missing plus a couple more ......

They have signed...

Gail
Ritchie
Sels
Hanley
Clark
Edlin
Diane
Hayden
Gamez
-------------------
Lazaar
Murphy

The last 2 are missing from the squad list

Puts Newcastle on 27 players, Derby 29.

Newcastle are linked with Atsu and McMananman, not signed as yet, Sissoko expected to leave so it's a possible 28 players, only Hendrick looks certain to be leaving so puts us on par.

It's not just Newcastle the prem money plus parachute payments along with FFP are going to make it nigh on impossible to complete against the relegated teams, not just this year but most years from now on. I don't expect all 3 to go back but possibly 2. So next season we will have the 1 remaining plus 3 other rich relegated clubs being funded by the premier league. The best chances for us to be promoted have slipped by, not saying we won't still have further chances over the next year or so. But I feel plenty of championship teams will risk financial ruin whilst trying to get up in the future 

8 minutes ago, David said:

They have signed...

Gail
Ritchie
Sels
Hanley
Clark
Edlin
Diane
Hayden
Gamez
-------------------
Lazaar
Murphy

Newcastle are linked with Atsu and McMananman, not signed as yet, Sissoko expected to leave so it's a possible 28 players, only Hendrick looks certain to be leaving so puts us on par.

Derby signed 10 players last summer, added a further 2 in January and none went out the door

Newcastle 11 so far in with 7 out the door on permanents and 3 (Krul, De Jong, Thauvin) out on loan.

We haven't got a leg to stand on moaning at Newcastle.

5 minutes ago, David said:

They have signed...

Gail
Ritchie
Sels
Hanley
Clark
Edlin
Diane
Hayden
Gamez
-------------------
Lazaar
Murphy

If Brexit taught us anything it's to be suspicious of facts like this. I think Newcastle are basically cheating and it's unfair that they have such a massive squad. And if you don't agree, you are wrong. The people who believe the same as me will make more noise and these so-called facts will be lost.

8 minutes ago, David said:

They have signed...

Gail
Ritchie
Sels
Hanley
Clark
Edlin
Diane
Hayden
Gamez
-------------------
Lazaar
Murphy

Jaime Sterry missing

My complaints regarding what Newcastle have done isn't aimed at Newcastle, really. 

Not only are they well within their rights to do it they could do FAR more without remotely concerning themselves about things like FFP.

My complaints regarding whats happening is aimed at them getting relegated in the first place. A club the size of Newcastle getting relegated, with the turnover they have coupled with parachute payments just makes FFP utterly meaningless to them (again not aimed at them, just the situation). The amount of money they're capable of spending even without selling one is just horrendous and I wish they'd just not been so disgracefully run while in the prem to be in this position, because it effects the whole league. 

You have to wonder if staying in the championship with the expectation of possible promotion and playoff battles with all the excitement it brings is more preferable to actually going up and finding yourself at best in a relegation battle from Christmas on. Lack of ambition maybe but just saying.

Just because Newcastle are buying players doesn't necessarily mean they are certain to go up. They have to Gel and get used to not being given the width and time to play.

We have the squad to compete, we just seem to lack the ambition, heart and determination.

9 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

My complaints regarding what Newcastle have done isn't aimed at Newcastle.

Not only are they well within their rights to do it they could do FAR more without remotely concerning themselves about things like FFP.

My complaints regarding whats happening is aimed at them getting relegated in the first place. A club the size of Newcastle getting relegated, with the turnover they have coupled with parachute payments just makes FFP utterly meaningless to them (again not aimed at them, just the situation). The amount of money they're capable of spending even without selling one is just horrendous and I wish they'd just not been so disgracefully run while in the prem to be in this position, because it effects the whole league. 

Funny thing is they haven't even had to touch the parachute payment money, 11 in 10 out, £56m sold, £55m spent and you would imagine the wage bill is looking far healthier plus you would imagine there is some kind of contribution to the wages of the 3 out on loan.

I'm honestly not sure what people think they have done wrong here, it's been a very sensible summer for Newcastle.

Yes parachute payments can make it harder for clubs to compete but as we've seen Newcastle haven't touched any, Villa have spent £38m and sold £16m, Norwich spent £10.5m and sold £12m. 

Just now, David said:

Funny thing is they haven't even had to touch the parachute payment money, 11 in 10 out, £56m sold, £55m spent and you would imagine the wage bill is looking far healthier plus you would imagine there is some kind of contribution to the wages of the 3 out on loan.

I'm honestly not sure what people think they have done wrong here.

Yes parachute payments can make it harder for clubs to compete but as we've seen Newcastle haven't touched any, Villa have spent £38m and sold £16m, Norwich spent £10.5m and sold £12m. 

It's almost as if you didn't read my post.

You've just further backed up my position, that they're just far too big for this league.

"What they've done wrong" is be so ******* badly run they managed to get relegated despite being bigger than half the clubs in the prem. They're not doing anything wrong right now, theyre entirely within their rights (as I have always said), its just bad for the league imo. 

Archived