no transfers required

Are we really good enough to go into this season against Newcastle, Norwich and the rest with no new players ? 

Regardless of whether we actually need someone, I quite like the arrogance of saying we don't need anyone right now and that the right managerial team with this squad is enough to get promotion. 

A fully fit squad includes decent cover everywhere (maybe right back, but Christie's hardly injury prone and Hanson/Baird can slot in if needed)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like 1 right back to compete with Christie at right back. We have 2 players competing for the left back position so I'd like us to have 2 at right back too. I'd also like us to sign a winger because it seems our only proper winger is Camara and he never plays. 

Just now, McLovin said:

I'd like 1 right back to compete with Christie at right back. We have 2 players competing for the left back position so I'd like us to have 2 at right back too. I'd also like us to sign a winger because it seems our only proper winger is Camara and he never plays. 

He might with the new boss. Besides, until Pearson had been able to assess what he'd got, he couldn't decide where we needed to improve.

Unless we were hampered by FFP, it was a mistake not appointing Nigel Pearson as soon as possible so that h could get his assessments out of the way, and maybe with his "kick-ass" demeanour, maybe we wouldn't have had as many lame capitulations (e.g. Brighton in the home play-off) and could have been up, up and away already.

However, not having to leap headlong into transfers is a great position to be in.

BRING IT ON!!!!!

2 hours ago, singaporeram said:

Are we really good enough to go into this season against Newcastle, Norwich and the rest with no new players ? 

Regardless of whether we actually need someone, I quite like the arrogance of saying we don't need anyone right now and that the right managerial team with this squad is enough to get promotion. 

A fully fit squad includes decent cover everywhere (maybe right back, but Christie's hardly injury prone and Hanson/Baird can slot in if needed)

Its not arrogance... its called being sensible.

The new management team need time to access the current squad which is large in numbers, before they contemplate key areas where additions may be needed. In his first season Pearson wont be demanding promotion,the owners wont be pressuring him for it either. Seems its just our own fans, and the fans and media nationwide who put this expectation on us just because of how much we have spent in the past. if you dont want to make the same mistakes as previous regimes... you dont start spending for the sake of it, 2nd guessing which players you may or may not need.

3 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Its not arrogance... its called being sensible.

The new management team need time to access the current squad which is large in numbers, before they contemplate key areas where additions may be needed. In his first season Pearson wont be demanding promotion,the owners wont be pressuring him for it either. Seems its just our own fans, and the fans and media nationwide who put this expectation on us just because of how much we have spent in the past. if you dont want to make the same mistakes as previous regimes... you dont start spending for the sake of it, 2nd guessing which players you may or may not need.

4 hours ago, singaporeram said:

Deluded. 

We'll be around the top 6 I'd think. Newcastle should walk it, so we're playing for 2nd and the competition will be stiff.

In that context, and remembering last summer, I think it's sensible to be calm and assess...then strike only when we KNOW we can get a player who's going to improve the team. Too many signings for the squad in recent times without a clear idea of where they'll specifically play and blend together.

Patience. Even if we're mid-table at Christmas. Patience.

I like to look at it like this. Take our strongest team (though no one can agree on what it is) how many better players in their position are there in the league. Quickly -

Carson - how many better keepers are out there?

Shackell and Keogh - top defenders in their own right and great partnership. 

Hughes - no comment needed. 

Bryson and Hendrick - if on form class (just a ? over the if)

Thorne - when fit one of the best. 

Ince - get him playing and consistent top class

Johnson - first 10-12 games looked great. Get him back to that level and he will be valuable. 

Butterfield - could flourish with right management. 

Olsson and Fozzy - two of the best left backs in the league. 

Martin - scores and creates enough said. 

Bent - still got it. 

Basically there are a few ifs in there but why go spending money when we potentially have all we need in the squad. If NP can manage them right I don't see who we have to fear. Look at Hanley and how much he went for, is he better than Keogh or Shack? I'm looking forward to an exciting season. 

COYR

Needs another quality signing or two IMO.

Wednesday will be better than last season, especially with Bannan and Abdi running the show. Norwich have a good squad, likewise Villa.

How much of a difference will Nigel make? You're guess is as good as mine.

One or two good signings and I'll believe again 

Well we weren't good enough last season...... 

So we were either poorly managed throughout the season or the players never performed throughout the season?

All those teams that finished around us last season have in there capacity improved their squads with additions, so will we fighting for promotion without strengthening the team?

We will soon find out.

I like the fact we're taking our time, shows the clubs doing things the right way. The new manager is properly assessing what he already has, from the 1st team to the youth squads. 

We will sign players and they will be the right players for the roles required. Round pegs, round holes. 

It's actually making me excited that we have a manager prepared to take his time and be sensible. 

I believe we had many who didn't perform last year for various reasons, mainly the likes of Johnson Weiman Blackman camara bent who are all able to produce much more plus Hughes and Bryson fit all season would help immensely. 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

I believe we had many who didn't perform last year for various reasons, mainly the likes of Johnson Weiman Blackman camara bent who are all able to produce much more plus Hughes and Bryson fit all season would help immensely. 

Johnson I'd agree with, looked lost second half of the season. But Weimann, Blackman and Camara never really got a look in. The Squad was bloated and you can't expect someone who's sat on the bench game after game to come on for 10 minutes and settle right in. 

All three of those players will have a much larger role to play this season and hopefully we'll get to see the best of them. I think Weimann & Camara will turn out to be great signings.

I'm not worried about whether we have the quality players individually, it's quite obvious we should have. It's whether Pearson can get these players playing consistently well as a whole team that really matters. Let's all hope he does, otherwise it could be a very long season.

42 minutes ago, toddy said:

Well we weren't good enough last season...... 

So we were either poorly managed throughout the season or the players never performed throughout the season?

All those teams that finished around us last season have in there capacity improved their squads with additions, so will we fighting for promotion without strengthening the team?

We will soon find out.

Ultimately we wer nt good enough last season but for me it was one of the most frustrating seasons ever ,,, you just knew we could and should have easily been good enough,,, even when we were top I looked at us and was frustrated because you could tell there was so much more ,, I truly believe that for whatever reasons the players did not buy in to clement and lost respect for him ,,, then wassell to the end of the season was on a hiding to nothing ,, the fans did not believe and I don't feel the players really did either ,,,,, so have we got enough this season without buying ? For me we just might have but probably need maybe 3 key buys but they can't be blind rushed buys for the sake of buying it needs exactly what is happening ,,,,,,,a proper manager to take charge give a clean sheet to all , know how he wants to mold the team , see who cuts it then ship out the players who can't measure up and bring in the right key players to bring it all together ,,, we knew last season that our team and squad were close but the buying and manager seemed if anything to take us backwards rather than improve on what we had ,,, this year seems vey different ,, we have a confident measured manager in place who will take his time to get it right ,, he's not a first time manager with his heart set on making headlines as being boy wonder in his first season then getting the Real Madrid job or such like ,, Nige is here to build and build right ,,,, have faith ,this is the start for us not another false dawn

Also I'm willing to bet there's not one single player at the club now who's thinking this Pearson bloke don't know what he's doing and that's priceless

Archived