Rio Olympics

Curtains

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, davenportram said:

Why have you repeated this pointless post?

I put him on 'ignore' (yet again) because I do not wish to share the time of day with somebody so hung up on his own prejudices.

Sorry, but that's how it is. Calling Caster Semenya "it" was something I found utterly disgusting.

So basically I didn't see his post.

Constantine Louloudis (British rower and gold medallist) is yet another example of an athlete having a genetic advantage, his body builds up lactic acid on a delay meaning that he feels less pain than other rowers during the race. Surely that's just as much of an advantage as Semenya/Chand's heightened testosterone levels?

My point is that loads of Olympians have genetic advantages that people barely know about. People pick up on Semenya's because it fits their own horrible prejudices.

18 minutes ago, davenportram said:

Why have you repeated this pointless post?

i'm sorry was this sent to you by mistake?

Regarding Caster, I noticed Sonia O’Sullivan mentioned in her twitter feed that this shouldn't have happened, the legalities should have been settled before a race was run, imagine if the medal was removed if the decision goes against her, the poor sod that came in fourth would have lost the occasion and spirit of the games, its a sorry mess.

17 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

i'm sorry was this sent to you by mistake?

Regarding Caster, I noticed Sonia O’Sullivan mentioned in her twitter feed that this shouldn't have happened, the legalities should have been settled before a race was run, imagine if the medal was removed if the decision goes against her, the poor sod that came in fourth would have lost the occasion and spirit of the games, its a sorry mess.

In their opinion, with no evidence to back it up. All of these athletes are indanger of tarnishing the sport as prejudiced, divisive and hostile.

1 minute ago, davenportram said:

In their opinion, with no evidence to back it up. All of these athletes are indanger of tarnishing the sport as prejudiced, divisive and hostile.

no, its now going to the court of arbitration for sport to close the loophole regarding hyperandrogenism, this still means she produces testosterone levels above the IAAF’s previous limit.

1 hour ago, LesterRam said:

no, its now going to the court of arbitration for sport to close the loophole regarding hyperandrogenism, this still means she produces testosterone levels above the IAAF’s previous limit.

It's not a loophole, it's a medical condition that needs addressing. As for your argument regarding testosterone do some research....

In international sports and the Olympic Games, a female athlete is not eligible to participate in the female category if the amount of androgenic hormone exceeds the permissible limits, on the ground that the condition could confer an unfair advantage.[8][9] The permissible limit was set at 10 nmol/L, based on a study done of all the women competing in the World Championships in 2011 and 2013.[10] 99% of the female athletes at those competitions had testosterone levels below 3.08 nmol/L.[11] So the upper limit of 10 nmol/L was more than 3 times higher than the testosterone levels of 99% of the elite female athletes in those competitions. However, a study of endocrine profiles in 693 elite athletes published in 2014 found that, while 13.7% of women athletes had high levels of testosterone, 16.5% of men had low levels of testosterone levels. The authors noted that there is "complete overlap between the sexes", concluding, "The IOC definition of a woman as one who has a ‘normal’ testosterone level is untenable"

42 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

It's not a loophole, it's a medical condition that needs addressing. As for your argument regarding testosterone do some research....

In international sports and the Olympic Games, a female athlete is not eligible to participate in the female category if the amount of androgenic hormone exceeds the permissible limits, on the ground that the condition could confer an unfair advantage.[8][9] The permissible limit was set at 10 nmol/L, based on a study done of all the women competing in the World Championships in 2011 and 2013.[10] 99% of the female athletes at those competitions had testosterone levels below 3.08 nmol/L.[11] So the upper limit of 10 nmol/L was more than 3 times higher than the testosterone levels of 99% of the elite female athletes in those competitions. However, a study of endocrine profiles in 693 elite athletes published in 2014 found that, while 13.7% of women athletes had high levels of testosterone, 16.5% of men had low levels of testosterone levels. The authors noted that there is "complete overlap between the sexes", concluding, "The IOC definition of a woman as one who has a ‘normal’ testosterone level is untenable"

certainly does, the rule to allow hyperandrogenism athletes to compete in the 2016 Olympics is a CAS interim award (Challenge) should receive results from the IAAF in 2017

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/featured/iaafs-hyperandrogenism-regulations-suspended-29321

10 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

Constantine Louloudis (British rower and gold medallist) is yet another example of an athlete having a genetic advantage, his body builds up lactic acid on a delay meaning that he feels less pain than other rowers during the race. Surely that's just as much of an advantage as Semenya/Chand's heightened testosterone levels?

My point is that loads of Olympians have genetic advantages that people barely know about. People pick up on Semenya's because it fits their own horrible prejudices.

I think back in the day that Seb  (now Lord) Coe was described as having a genetic condition of a remarkably slow but powerful heart beat,  even when running, that meant his heart effectively "sluiced" blood around his entire system several times a minute. This enabled him to run faster for longer. Handy for breaking all those 800m and 1500m records in the 70s and 80s. 

Basically supports your point. It's a very difficult area. Where do you draw lines?

5 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I think back in the day that Seb  (now Lord) Coe was described as having a genetic condition of a remarkably slow but powerful heart beat,  even when running, that meant his heart effectively "sluiced" blood around his entire system several times a minute. This enabled him to run faster for longer. Handy for breaking all those 800m and 1500m records in the 70s and 80s. 

Basically supports your point. It's a very difficult area. Where do you draw lines?

If the advantage is natural and not artificial from P.E.D. usage, I don't see the need to draw a line at all.

14 hours ago, LesterRam said:

certainly does, the rule to allow hyperandrogenism athletes to compete in the 2016 Olympics is a CAS interim award (Challenge) should receive results from the IAAF in 2017

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/featured/iaafs-hyperandrogenism-regulations-suspended-29321

It's media site, there to click bait.  It even has Advertise as one of its key sections on the navigation banner.

So addresss your arguement that it is all about testosterone...You are losing your arguement and just proving that you have a bigoted opinion.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

It's media site, there to click bait.  It even has Advertise as one of its key sections on the navigation banner.

So addresss your arguement that it is all about testosterone...You are losing your arguement and just proving that you have a bigoted opinion.

do you know what a clickbait site is?

we know you are king of cut and paste (shown eloquently in your previous post)

my link was from the leading UK Athletics website.

Alexa Rank 334988

UV' Hit Count 80,700 (30 Days)

Semrush Rank: 29.7k

Keyword Density: 4.3k (impressive)

Backlinks : Referring Domains, 572

Referring IP's, 582

All sites excluding the BBC, Informative and My Sites :whistle: rely on paid advertising to survive, the reason I quoted this site is because I have a RSS Feed which I set up previous to the 2012 London Olympics to keep me informed whilst working.

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 08:47, LesterRam said:

do you know what a clickbait site is?

we know you are king of cut and paste (shown eloquently in your previous post)

my link was from the leading UK Athletics website.

Alexa Rank 334988

UV' Hit Count 80,700 (30 Days)

Semrush Rank: 29.7k

Keyword Density: 4.3k (impressive)

Backlinks : Referring Domains, 572

Referring IP's, 582

All sites excluding the BBC, Informative and My Sites :whistle: rely on paid advertising to survive, the reason I quoted this site is because I have a RSS Feed which I set up previous to the 2012 London Olympics to keep me informed whilst working.

There you go again misleading people. It is the only weekly magazine about athletics and is printed in the UK. It is popular, however it has nothing to do with UK Athletics.

2 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

There you go again misleading people. It is the only weekly magazine about athletics and is printed in the UK. It is popular, however it has nothing to do with UK Athletics.

do you take drugs?

what you arguing about, it quoted the IAAF which are looking into the case and we should receive the result in 2017, I have no allegiance with the site, its not my site and I am not advertising on its behalf, why would I mislead people, I have an opinion that this athlete should not be running in the woman's 800m final, and you clearly have the opposite opinion and that's fine but don't pretend I am misleading anyone.

regarding Athletics Weekly website it looks a very informative website that carries 6 Directors on its board and a healthy turnover so certainly not a clickbait site to me but what do I know, it has a 60/40 split from UK/US customer base hence the .com extension it uses.

1 hour ago, LesterRam said:

do you take drugs?

what you arguing about, it quoted the IAAF which are looking into the case and we should receive the result in 2017, I have no allegiance with the site, its not my site and I am not advertising on its behalf, why would I mislead people, I have an opinion that this athlete should not be running in the woman's 800m final, and you clearly have the opposite opinion and that's fine but don't pretend I am misleading anyone.

regarding Athletics Weekly website it looks a very informative website that carries 6 Directors on its board and a healthy turnover so certainly not a clickbait site to me but what do I know, it has a 60/40 split from UK/US customer base hence the .com extension it uses.

I take lots of drugs, do you? What has that got to do with it?

Do you do capital letters?

The article is over a year old, things gave changed significantly.

Does it channel any profits into grass root athletics, or is just riding the train?

Just now, McRamFan said:

I take lots of drugs, do you? What has that got to do with it?

Do you do capital letters?

The article is over a year old, things gave changed significantly.

Does it channel any profits into grass root athletics, or is just riding the train?

can you reduce your dosage?

no I don't do capital letters, do you do do capital letters? because if you do do capital letters I will do do capital letters and then we can both do do capital letters and be really happy.

yes the article is over one year old in a two year research paper, which should bring us nicely to 2017 (that's next year)

does it channel any profits into grass roots athletics, no but neither does the IAAF, each country uses funding from central government, I think the UK uses lottery funding via UK Sport and funded in the shape of an Athlete Performance Award (APA).

I know its the worlds pre-eminent journal & periodical in this field (according to Google)

Archived