DCFC Fans Server Move - PLEASE READ

Day

As you may or may not been aware DCFC Fans has suffered from slow loading pages, downtime for the past couple of weeks and even breaking the site completely one day.

I am sure this has frustrated many of you as it has me! I have been in contact with our host on several occasions, each time told all issues have been resolved when clearly they haven’t. 

I have lost all confidence with our current host and I feel it would be best for us to now move to a new company.

Over the last few days I have been looking at several companies and hopefully I have now found us one that should run DCFC Fans comfortably.

This unfortunately will mean more downtime as the site is transferred.

Moving the site is fairly quick, what takes time is for our domain to point to the new IP address. The official line is 24/48hrs however this can be much quicker through some internet service providers.

I’m sure many of you will know what I will say next and that’s you may need to clear your cache and cookies if you are still unable to access the forum.

If you feel comfortable changing your DNS settings to Google public this will also help. For more info on this 
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Finally during the server move my email will also stop working until the move has been completed. If you still cannot see the site on Sunday, drop me an email then. Any emails before chances are I won’t receive.

The server move will start on Friday morning (17/6/16) with the site being switched offline.

Thanks in advance for your patience, lack of moaning and understanding, David :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LesterRam said:

Well I have just moved some of my sites to a new dedicated server, UK servers for the serps with cpanel for £29 per month(50% off), I was paying £375 per month and don't notice any difference, depends on your spec.

What sites are they, (I know you wanted someone to ask.) ?

14 hours ago, LesterRam said:

Well I have just moved some of my sites to a new dedicated server, UK servers for the serps with cpanel for £29 per month(50% off), I was paying £375 per month and don't notice any difference, depends on your spec.

I'm not all clued up on servers so I prefer to stick with managed which comes at a cost.

The new one is UK based again, so far no Russians on the support desk. 

Not sure what we are on now, they just looked at the site and said here, sign up this package which had no specs given.

New server has 4gb Ram plus 16gb virtual, SSD hard disk, automatically takes backups 4 times a day and can finally use caching with memcache which should I hopefully make thinks run a lot quicker.

Just to let you know if you are seeing this post you are on the new server. I wasn't expecting us to come back online as quick, would have been quicker had it not been for our old hosts crap setup.

A couple of you sneaked on and posted when an old backup was restored due to errors on the most recent, that has been fixed now and those posts have been lost in the internet.

I have yet another software update to install but I will leave that for a few days.

Let me know what the speeds are like, if you have any issues etc. still have a couple more things to apply to the server that will speed things up even more hopefully. Just want to see what it's like without those applied.

1 hour ago, David said:

Just to let you know if you are seeing this post you are on the new server. I wasn't expecting us to come back online as quick, would have been quicker had it not been for our old hosts crap setup.

A couple of you sneaked on and posted when an old backup was restored due to errors on the most recent, that has been fixed now and those posts have been lost in the internet.

I have yet another software update to install but I will leave that for a few days.

Let me know what the speeds are like, if you have any issues etc. still have a couple more things to apply to the server that will speed things up even more hopefully. Just want to see what it's like without those applied.

Definitely running better. No issues so far. 

We are now using a CDN, I'll try and keep it simple. The big files that make up the forum are now being distributed from servers around the world, which ever you are closer to you will receive from, so all you immigrants over in America or down under should hopefully see a speed increase as well. 

5 hours ago, David said:

We are now using a CDN, I'll try and keep it simple. The big files that make up the forum are now being distributed from servers around the world, which ever you are closer to you will receive from, so all you immigrants over in America or down under should hopefully see a speed increase as well. 

Them servers in Mexico are bloody lovely.

They make the servers in the uk look like steam engines.

Init

Archived