Pigeons and Ducks

Day

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, David said:

Why eat them when we have chickens? makes no sense to me. Not like you get much meat from either as well. Pigeons in the bird world are the cider drinkers, trampy birds.

You won't find many people eating the sky rat type pigeons that live of the scraps thrown down outside McTurks, But wild wood pigeon is tasty.

I eat ducks and pigeons mainly because I shoot them both. Chicken isn't am option in this case because we don't have wild chickens to shoot on our farm. Plus duck is much tastier than chicken anyway

It's interesting to think, though, what makes one meat acceptable to meat eaters but not another?.

OK you can rule out domestic pets but plenty of people have chickens as pets nowadays. Stupid people, that is. The Mrs eats meat but won't touch duck or rabbit because they're cute.

I'm actually starting to wonder about pork. Not from a religeous point of view but isn't it supposed to be very close to what human meat would be like?. Also the fact that they're looking at using pigs to grow human organs, it's just starting to feel just a little bit cannibalistic to me. Not that I suppose I would ever stop eating bacon or sausages, mind.

Off topic but I once knew a very strict vegitarian - one who would insist on seperate cooking pots & utensils - but who I later found out would eat bacon sandwiches.

6 minutes ago, MB (Wolfie) said:

It's interesting to think, though, what makes one meat acceptable to meat eaters but not another?.

OK you can rule out domestic pets but plenty of people have chickens as pets nowadays. Stupid people, that is. The Mrs eats meat but won't touch duck or rabbit because they're cute.

I'm actually starting to wonder about pork. Not from a religeous point of view but isn't it supposed to be very close to what human meat would be like?. Also the fact that they're looking at using pigs to grow human organs, it's just starting to feel just a little bit cannibalistic to me. Not that I suppose I would ever stop eating bacon or sausages, mind.

Off topic but I once knew a very strict vegitarian - one who would insist on seperate cooking pots & utensils - but who I later found out would eat bacon sandwiches.

Bacon sandwiches would be really tough to give up. Going back to you first sentence ,I like meat but I don't like the idea of something dying to feed me .

I eat beef ,pork ,chicken ,turkey but draw the line at rabbit and lamb [bit like your missus] however kebabs after a pint or two lamb or not still get eaten.

Yeah pigs and humans share a lot of DNA and they think there may have been some genetic evolutionary divergence in the past.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/stories/pigs-and-humans-more-closely-related-thought-according-genetic-analysis

Good question about what makes some meat OK and not others. Would you try cooked human flesh out of curiosity if it was made available to you legally with no comeback? A pig would eat another pig if it was dead and chucked in its food trough..

7 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Yeah pigs and humans share a lot of DNA and they think there may have been some genetic evolutionary divergence in the past.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/stories/pigs-and-humans-more-closely-related-thought-according-genetic-analysis

Good question about what makes some meat OK and not others. Would you try cooked human flesh out of curiosity if it was made available to you legally with no comeback? A pig would eat another pig if it was dead and chucked in its food trough..

Didn't BSE start because of cattle eating other animal derived food products?

28 minutes ago, MB (Wolfie) said:

It is.

Take fish for example, back in the day when I used to go fishing I would catch Carp, no way could I ever eat one yet the Polish do all the time, apparently fairly tasteless as well. Tuna, cod, haddock, no problems.

I feel ill just watching people eat liver or kidney, the smell and texture is disgusting yet I'll happily munch on the flesh and skin. Weird.

56 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Bacon sandwiches would be really tough to give up. Going back to you first sentence ,I like meat but I don't like the idea of something dying to feed me .

I eat beef ,pork ,chicken ,turkey but draw the line at rabbit and lamb [bit like your missus] however kebabs after a pint or two lamb or not still get eaten.

I grew up on a sheep & beef cattle farm in the peak district, so meat eating was definitely the norm. I remember that the only time we didn't eat lamb was druing the month or so over easter which was always lambing time. My dad couldn't cope with being up all night trying to make sure they survived, only to tuck into chops for his tea the following evening.

He used to cut up half-cows, lambs and pigs for the massive chest freezers we used to have. The Chatsworth hunt would also come round and give us pheasants and deer for us letting them come on our land to machine gun p(h)easants.

I'll eat pretty much any meat - alligator is probably the most exotic one I've had - but as I've got older, I've thought more about it. Not really changed my behaviour apart from being careful not to waste meat - it dies for me so the least I can do is not throw it in the bin. I hate most vegetables though, so would really struggle to be a veggie.

Archived