Euro 96

G-Ram

Anybody else watch the documentary Shearer has done going back meeting some old team mates etc. Its on i-player. I thought it was brilliant.

Made me chuckle some of the stick him and sherringham gave each other "my mum could have scored that but you had to blast it"

Watching the oens again i felt sorry for Southgate at least he had the bottle / stupidity to take one. Annoying because at least three others should have been before him. Should have won it. 

I Always reckon back then we had the best crop of forward players we've ever had. We took  shearer, sherringham, fowler & Ferdinand but the likes of wright & cole missed out and wingers like le-tiss and wilcox missed out 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was 7 and remember it well

I can remember the Spain match very well, going to penalties and giving my mum the two fingers after we'd won, she said we wouldn't win it in a million years... Semi-Final comes along and she was right. 

I wish I still had that enthusiasm and naivety :lol: oh to be a kid again.

Best fans are the kids and the best memory at a game I've had was two kids jumping up and down and cheering the team on... we were 3-0 down with 10 to play... the adults around me had either left or were booing... sums us up us adults lol 

Great documentary about an amazing period in soccerball. 

We should have won that, so close. 

That miss by anderton....the one Gazza couldn't quite reach... Total heartbreak. 

The holland game is still one of those best games of football I have ever had the luck to see..I can remember getting the tickets and complaining like mad because they were 45 English pounds...!

The Holland game is one of the two best performances I've ever seen from the national tea. The other being the game in Munich.

I really thought we had the players to win something in '96. Hell we should have won the damned thing. How we didn't win something between 96-04 is still beyond me. 

I think the 2002 WC is still the greatest missed oppotunity imo, losing 2-1 whilst playing against 10 men for most of the 2nd half has still got to be a regret for the players that played in the game. Brazil were on the racks at 1-0 and their goal to get it level still stings, Beckham was a right wimp to jump out of that tackle... and as for Seamon... 

We should have beaten Germany, but in fairness we shouldn't have even reached the semi-finals. Spain were far better than us in the quarter-finals and had two good goals ruled out as well as a clear penalty not given before the shoot-out.

That's the only time I've ever seen England win a shoot-out. One in about seven.

Brilliant watch, well made and Shearer is excellent throughout.

It just reminds you of the fine lines that decide who wins a cup competition. England could easily have won the tournament yet could have possibly not got out the group if Seaman hadn't of saved that penalty v Scotland!

You win the League, you deserve it, no question, winning a cup competition at any level, (including a play off match), you need the rub of the green sometimes.

I remember a couple of things from that tournament. ...

- flying back from Zurich just as tournament was starting and sharing the airport with about 300 Swiss. Big tall sods they were. ....

- totalling my xr2i as I was dashing home to catch kickoff of the quarter final.

- thinking how confident and invincible we looked as our firstattack against Germany resulted in a well crafted goal.

- a bloke called kuntz.  Apt.

Archived